Things peculiar to your country!

by lowden 56 Replies latest jw friends

• Dansk
  • reneeisorym
    reneeisorym

You need to go to New Orleans ...

Visit the French quarter for some benets (do-nut type thing but square and no hole).. street corner music, GUMBO ..

Then travel towards Mississippi and Alabama for a taste of southern cooking -- everything you can imagine fried, cornbread, and a spread of dessert ... spend Sat. night at a country redneck bar and Sunday morning at an African-American Missionary Baptist Church ...

Then travel over to Florida for beautiful beaches and relaxing sun while drinking cocktails! A great taste of the south!

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow
    I would suggest traveling up to Santa Fe & Taos. Taos especially during the winter. Taos Ski Valley has the best skiing in the New Mexico, and possibly the west.

New Mexico truly lives up to The Land of Enchantment. Check out the Taos Pueblo and Red River, EagleNest and Cimarron. The St. James Hotel in Cimarron has bullet holes in the ceiling from the likes of Jesse James and Bat Masterson.

I recommend taking an Amtrak tour from the east coast to the west and then up the west coast. You don't have to buy a compartment. The regular seats recline with both a leg and foot rest. You have plenty of room. People are laid back, relaxed and friendly. If you like beautiful scenery, try the California Zephyr from Chicago to Emeryville (San Fransisco) and then onto the Coast Starlight up through Northern California through Oregon and into Washington. Scenery, beautiful scenery.

Or you could rent a car or RV & if you have the funds and travel coast to coast, zig zagging to make the interesting points. The USA is a vast country of varying lanscapes and cultures.

Big Bend National Park in Texas is amazing as well as Fort Davis, TX.

I wish New Orleans was not still in a mess. But you can enjoy southern Louisiana and never be the same. The food, music, culture and friendly people are unlike any in the rest of the USA.

• Forscher
    Forscher

Well,
    For food the South is where you want to go for sure! There is a place in Jacksonville, Fl called Lou Bono's that makes some of the best BBQ you'll ever taste. You'll want to go to the one on beach Blvd. and ask for the basket. Brunswick, GA is one of the places which claims to be where Brunswick Stew originated, most any good restaurant there can serve that great dish, which is different from the Virginia variant, which you'll probably want to go Virginia and try as well. And don't forget to go to Louisianna and try their Cajun cooking. That style of cooking is so good that even the last pope used to have it sent from a restaurant New Orleans to the Vatican City at great cost so he could enloy it!
    In Michigan, there is a beautiful set of waterfalls in the upper peninsula, the Tahquanemon falls.

I've been there and walked under the falls, it was a great experience! you'll want to see both the upper and lower falls.
    Another great item to see are the Mammoth Caverns in Kentucky.

There is also the Smithsonian in Washington D.C., The meuseum in Dearborn MI, and I could go on and on and on! Those are just a few of the attractions and experiences to be found in the US, really, a five item limitation doesn't even begin to do it justice!
    Forscher

• lowden
    lowden

Brilliant!!!

You created one superb thread here guys, one which i will DEFINITELY be referring back to.....AWESOME.

America is a helluva vast country and so to pick out just 5 things to do or places to go may have been streching it a tad. What a place!!

I've always wanted to go to see the wonders of Yosemite...i'm a bit of a tree hugger (Studied Arboriculture at college) Doing the OREGON TRAIL on horseback has always been a dream too.

Happy Days.

Peace

Lowden

• cognizant dissident
    cognizant dissident

Canada is so huge and the east coast is a different planet from the west coast, so I think we should break it into provinces.

In BC, go to Long Beach on Vancouver Island and just drink in the natural beauty. While there, book a whale watching tour and try some smoked salmon, native style.

Visit the capital of downtown Victoria for the day, the parliament buildings, the provincial museum, and have afternoon tea at the Empress Hotel. (I think we outbritish the british on that one.)

Take a gondola or chairlift up Whistler mountain, summer has the best mountain biking trails and winter has the best skiing on the continent.

Tour Stanley Park and then spend the rest of the afternoon sipping capuccino in an outdoor cafe overlooking English Bay.

Drive clear to the otherside of BC through Kimberly, then Jasper and Banff to the Rocky Mountains on the BC/Alberta border. This should take about a few days to get there.

OK, I think I live in the best place in the world, so I had a little trouble keeping it to only 5!

Cog

• daystar
    daystar

woodmonkey

I just found out that Pe-Te's, the best zydaco and crawdads in Texas, has closed!

Next time in Dallas, try Nate's Seafood and Steakhouse in Addison for the best crawdads I've ever had. I believe they do have live bands on occasion, though I have never dined there in the evenings to catch one.

And, welcome to the board!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit