Things peculiar to your country!

by lowden 56 Replies latest jw friends

• parakeet
    parakeet

Crabcakes in any restaurant in Crisfield, Maryland.
    The Inner Harbor in Annapolis, Maryland.
    Lancaster County, Pennsylvania -- just stay off the major roads--too touristy. On the country roads, you'll find Amish children at roadside stands selling produce, eggs, and other farm items. Drive slowly to avoid accidents with the many horse-drawn carriages on the road.

• BritBoy
    BritBoy
    OMG. PAt O's. I think I rank the whole town there. we are not talking about showing any pink bits. lol

Sparkplug

I get to New Orleans and my feet do not touch the ground until I get to Pat O's and get a hurricane down my throat!

• poppers
    poppers

Come to Wisconsin and have bratwurst grilled over charcoal (a gas grill is OK, but charcoal is much better).

Visit the Interstate State Park at St. Croix Falls

Friday fish fries at mom and pop owned restaurants out in the boondocks somewhere

Northeast Wisconsin with its many lakes and virgin pine forests

Door County

• Fe2O3Girl
    Fe2O3Girl

My five nominations for England:

Beer (but 'Mercans better only have a half - our beer is alcoholic!)

Fish and Chips and Mushy Peas (best in a northern seaside town)

Curry (the greatest legacy of the British Empire)

The Lake District (there's more to it than Wordsworth's cottage - get your boots on and explore!)

Castles (Beeston, Warksworth, Dunstanburgh, Newark......there are hundreds and they all have fascinating histories of families, kings, battles and rebuilding)

• GermanXJW
    GermanXJW

Germany

drive with no speed limit

visit the Oktoberfest in Munich (visit the cities of Hamburg and Berlin as well)

drink German beer (beside the wheat beer served at Oktoberfest)

watch a football (soccer) match of the Bundesliga

also go to one of the Holocaust memorial places and see that Germans have learnt from their history

• Fe2O3Girl
    Fe2O3Girl

GermanXJW, when I think of Germany, I think of spargel, and nudeln; Christmas markets.....and beer! And Steiff teddies.

• moshe
    moshe

Upstate New York, what I remember- they serve french fries with brown gravy on top- yes, everybody gets them that way. You have to make a special request for plain french fires to avoid the gravy. They have snowmobile junkyards, and extension ladders next to 2nd story windows in case they get a monster blizzard. You have to built little wooden teepees from plywood for your shrubs, otherwise the winter ice and snow will kill them or break off the branches.

• katiekitten
    katiekitten
    spargel, and nudeln

Wash your mouth out girl! There'll be no nudelin on this site!

drive with no speed limit

This has got to be the most enlightened policy in Europe. I dont see Germany with any more human roadkill than anywhere else.

• sammielee24
    sammielee24

For Canada - not including Timmies (Tim Hortons-Canadian dietary staple lol) how about eating some poutine (fries/gravy/cheese curds - it's not like the American version of cheesy fries, its very different tasting); blanc mange (which is a basic white pudding) sliders (kind of like a dumpling) - a lot of French Canadian families grew up on this stuff. Oh yes and tourtierre - like a meat pie.

I agree with what to see in the US - I love Zion Park in Utah and Estes Park in Colorado. Royal Gorge in Colorado is great as well - it is the highest suspension bridge, made of wood and you can walk across it - it's great. There's also a train that treks along the bottom for a nice ride if you want the view from below. San Franciso's awesome, the Redwoods are inspiring and a drive along the whole coast of California is second to none. Stop and enjoy watching the sea lions sunning themselves or catching fish. Vegas is a must see just because words don't do justice to the decadence of it all. Oregon coast is also beautiful and anywhere you stop you can get a nice fresh bowl of chowder. If you are up around Shasta in Northern California - check out the caverns - very nice. sammieswife.

• sammielee24
    sammielee24
    also go to one of the Holocaust memorial

I haven't been to one of these memorials so although this doesn't compare - when I toured the Titanic exhibit and saw the actual furniture that would have been used, how the boat was made, the pictures of the people, the bits and pieces of personal belongings - it was a very heavy feeling. At the end there is a list on the wall that has the name of every person on the ship (when you go in, you are given a card with a persons name on it that you keep) and you match up the card with the name on the wall. It tells you wether the person was 1st/2nd or 3rd class and wether they lived or died and it reminds you of the injustices and callousness of it all. It's very painful when you see the faces of whole families that were lost and in most of the cases it was simply a matter of 'you paid less = you died'. You walk out and wonder if we've really learned anything from the tragedy. sammieswife.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit