Things peculiar to your country!

by lowden 56 Replies latest jw friends

• lowden
    lowden

OK, if i came to your country (USA, CANADA, FRANCE, HOLLAND, OZ....Wherever) what should someone experience or sample before they leave....to give them a true taste of your homeland. Limit it to 5 per post....if you can.

I'll start with England/Britain.

English Ale, The Lake District (England), To get a true taste of England visit the city of Bath (or maybe Stratford, though a bit too touristy), Sample some Black Pudding (blood sausage )....in Bury.....and visit a seaside town (please don't go to Blackpool) My vote would be Hastings which is also steeped in history....i.e. 1066.

C'mon you patriots!!!!

Peace

Lowden

• Double Edge
    Double Edge

Well, if you came to Southern California, try the Mexican food....specifically someone who makes great steak Fajitas (Fah-hee-tahs). Grilled, seasoned steak strips, onions and peppers (red and green)....served with warm, home-made flour tortillas. (tore-tee-yahs)

• BritBoy
    BritBoy

May I reply on behalf of the Canadians?

You have GOT TO try Tim Hortons... their doughnuts are the finest ANYWHERE in the world! Also, their funnel cake is better than the American version!!! Oh, and Niagara on the Lake is STUNNING!!!! LOL

• JH
    JH

Here we drive on the right side of the street.

The maxium speed on our highways is only 100 km/h. Thats only 62 MPH. NO where in Canada can you drive faster, legally.

This is the best country in the world

• Wordly Andre
    Wordly Andre

Double Edge

you forgot In & out burgers, I had some friends visit from Spain and that is the first place I took them to, Mexican food here in Southern California is good but maybe too hot for some folks.

Places I recommend for California visitors:

San Francisco

Museums in L.A. (Getty, Peterson, La Brea Tar Pits, LACMA, MOCA, MOT)

A tour of Hollywood and Beverly Hills,

Old town San Diego

and depending on who visits me and from where they come from Shooting Range its a lot of fun.

• BritBoy
    BritBoy
    This is the best country in the world

JH

You're not wrong there... and one of these fine days, the good Doctor and I plan to move to your country. We both LOVE it. And my closest friends are all Canadians and I miss them something awful!

Brit

• Arthur
    Arthur

In the United States:

I think going to a baseball game is a must. Many people here in the U.S. find it boring, but I think it would be a neat experience for someone from Europe who has never been to one before.

If you visit the West Coast, make sure to visit Hollywood. You can take tours of Universal, Paramount, and Warner Bros. Studios. Universal Studios is a really neat place to tour if you've never been there.

The Grand Canyon is also a top tourist destination. It is a truly amazing place to see close up and first hand.

• Arthur
    Arthur
    Mexican food here in Southern California is good but maybe too hot for some folks.

LOL, yeah, very true. I think if some Europeans tried the Mexican food here, it would look just like the end scene in Raiders Of the Lost Ark.

• BritBoy
    BritBoy
    I think going to a baseball game is a must. Many people here in the U.S. find it boring, but I think it would be a neat experience for someone from Europe who has never been to one before

LOL Arthur! I went to a baseball game at the Toronto Skydome.. it was the BlueJays vs The Yankees I believe... being an avid Rugby fan (Tigers forever!!!) I was really rather excited at the prospect of seeing a baseball game... 30 minutes in I thought I was going to open a vein out of boredom. Then it all kicked off! One of the players made a racist comment to a black BlueJay player and all HELL broke loose! It was so exciting!!! Fists flying... both teams squared up and started kicking the crap out of eachother.... officials running onto the field. Coaches trying to pull players off eachother! It reminded me so much of a rugby match! And the best thing was I had been filming the gorgeous man with the bat's very VERY nice arse in his TIGHT white baseball pants at the time and I managed to get the WHOLE thing on video! V exciting.

• OpenFireGlass
    OpenFireGlass

screw hollywood... be sure to check out the ancient redwood forest up here in Northern California (before they're all gone)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit