Aussies/Canadians of JWD most laid back~

by FlyingHighNow 51 Replies latest jw friends

• misspeaches
    misspeaches

From an Australian Perspective our mind boggles with how involved American's are with political matters.

In Australia it is compulsary to vote. If it wasn't I don't think any one would show up on polling day!

• looking_glass
    looking_glass

The problem Sir is that we have always been tightly wound even before 9/11 or before Bush No. 1 and Bush No. 2. I cannot figure it out. I think it may come from feeling that Americans have something to prove. Does that theory come across as the Bully in the School Yard, a Policing Nation or as a Concerned Neighbor? I think as to the rest of the world it comes across and 1 and 2 of the three options. Maybe if the U.S. of A sat back and allowed others to handle their own problems we would 1) have a better handle on our own problems (hello and happy birthday Katrina victims); 2) not be universally hated by most other countries; 3) not waste billions of dollars trying to drag a country out of something that their own people do not want help out of (the list of this crap could go on for pages ... but you get my point).

According to my Aussie friends they say that Australia is in an identity struggle right now. There is a theory that the younger generation is becoming to Americanized. They feel their PM is too easily influenced by Bush. I am sure there is much more to this, but I am putting very simply.

I love the fact that there are still nations out there that can laugh at themselves, laugh at their government and it is not deemed a shooting offense. I wish we were more like them. However, I do find the Aussie's love of Mr. Bean very disturbing. That is not funny at all!

• bigmouth
    bigmouth

" I do find the Aussie's love of Mr. Bean very disturbing. That is not funny at all! "

Yes it's infantile BUT, I have just finished reading a biography of Rowan Atkinson and it was decided that Mr. Bean would have the most appeal to an American audience. Unfortunately the majority of Americans just didn't 'get' the Blackadder series. However, most people down here like Mr. Bean.

So, how many realise that New Zealand is not part of Australia?

• looking_glass
    looking_glass

Why would anyone think that a Kiwi is an Aussie???

It is not that I don't understand Mr. Bean, it is just not funny. The one where he stuffs himself in the mail box. Jesus Christ that was the longest 1/2 hour of my life!!!!

• blondie
    blondie
    So, how many realise that New Zealand is not part of Australia?

That's not what my Australian friends tell me.

Actually, when it comes to the US, it depends on what state you are in and sometimes what town/city you are in. I am in a laid-back city surrounded by more uptight towns.

California is considered more laid-back than New York.

Blondie

alt

• jayhawk1
    jayhawk1

My opinion when it comes to politics. Americans are the first modern country to give representative democracy a chance. Our families fought for the right to do it. So when it comes to politics I think we are just possessive of the process.

• Sparkplug
    Sparkplug
    Canadians tend to be more laid back than Americans or Brits.

Probably from all the pot.

If you could only see how absolutely funny that hits me right now. I am quite amused!

• looking_glass
    looking_glass

I suppose you are right Blondie ... the south is more laid back then the north. small towns are more laid back then big cities.

But I still hold by the theory that the Aussies have the right idea and are living in the right country. I WANT TO BE AN AUSSIE!!!! I love that place!

• sass_my_frass
    sass_my_frass

I would like to point out that Rowan Atkinson is actually from England, just like JK Rowling, the English cricket team and some would say the Queen of England.

As for who in the world is the most laid back, ah whatever. Just try to get a New Zealander to get up before daybreak when the surf is up is all I can say.

• katiekitten
    katiekitten

What are you saying???

That Brits arent laid back?? Huh??

That were less laid back than Europeans? Youve got to be kidding right? Jeez, I dont know how you can come out with this stereotypical crap...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit