YAHWEH is BAAL

by sinis 62 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Narkissos
    Narkissos
    the Hebrew Yahveh was a god of very high moral standards that did not tolerate incest, adultery, homosexuality, fornication or human sacrifice. He wanted to make His nation a chaste royal priesthood.

Sounds like a late, idealistic, and suspiciously (no-)sex-centered version of Yhwh.

• Sparkplug
    Sparkplug

Maybe I am a bit off here, but in religion class last week I foungd that in the eastern / middle eastern religions, gods often offset each other. I saw that in hindu for example there was a phase they felt it was all about depriving self of all the comforts of life.. Then they felt it was all about the pleasures of life. The same religion, the same gods. They also have this balance between good and bad. Reading the last few post, I cant help but wonder if the offset of the two extremes is not a reflection of this balance that has throughout history, it seems, been characteristic of coupled gods.

Jsut wondering?

There is too much of a differene between the two, the Canaanite Baal was a god of total debauchery and had no concept of moral conduct whereas the Hebrew Yahveh was a god of very high moral standards that did not tolerate incest, adultery, homosexuality, fornication or human sacrifice. He wanted to make His nation a chaste royal priesthood.
    This made me think.
  • Midget-Sasquatch
    Midget-Sasquatch

The golden calves ill spoken of in the OT were supposedly how some people were worshipping Yahweh. Am I mixing up memories or was Baal also idolized (at least in one form) as a calf?

• done4good
    done4good

This is a very good article, Sinis, a keeper for sure.

j

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

MS,

You may have a look here: http://www.bibleorigins.net/YahwehsBovineFormsImages.html (and to the linked article)

• jayhawk1
    jayhawk1
    I understand that the Golden Calves set up by king Jeroboam at Dan and Bethel were images of Yahweh-Elohim, also called "EL" in the Hebrew Bible. In Iron Age Samaria was found an ostraca or potsherd inscribed egel-yah, "bull-calf Yah," which suggests for me that Yahweh was worshipped as a Golden Calf by Israel.

(From the link provided by Narkissos)

That first paragraph might not be right. EL may be the patriarch god of Yahweh. The article goes on to say EL was a bull. If Yahweh was a golden calf, it would make perfect sense. I wonder who the mother was. Yahweh has a wife Asherah, even Baal has a wife (I forget her name). This is sounding more and more like the Greek stories I had to read in High School.

• Midget-Sasquatch
    Midget-Sasquatch

Thanks for that link Narkissos. Since the article sinis posted mentioned Asherah having a bovine form but (unless I missed it) said nothing of Baal having one, I began to wonder if I was confusing one for the other. I knew of the inscription of Yahweh of Samaria and his Asherah but didn't realize that there was also associated images with bovine features. Makes sense that as consorts they'd both have bovine forms. Jayhawk, That article Narkissos posted mentioned how Baal had his sister and his mother (Asherah) as consorts. Ancient soap operas.

• FuzzyPaul
    FuzzyPaul

The purpose of the article was political, "Israel, modern, needs to face up to the fact that it has no "divine right" to the land it occupies. Israel must rely instead upon an equitable settlement in light of its undeniable modern day colonisation and conquest - a reality its opponents must accept but without straying outside the boundaries defined by international law - i.e. the 1967 borders. " And not for religious insight.

And the "chart" is misaligned and of no particular credential.

Lots of Professors lie and chant odd religiosities. Look into evolution closely and the impossibility of it becomes obvious. Only a NEED to believe it (and the requirements of the Scientific Community that all "reputable scientists" believe in evolution or be outcast and lose ones credentials) keeps it going. Evolution is a Hypothesis, Not a theory, or a principle or a law of nature. Re-read the manner of the scientific process. Evolutionary belief is religious in substance and is supported by dogmatic decrees and intimidation. Were there clear evidence there would be no need for authoritarian imposition of a teaching and heavy pressure to submit to it. The Watchtower is capable of intimidation also, yes? Keep an open mind, listen for Jesus words, await his Kingdom and release misdirected anger at God for the sins of men .

YHVH is pronounced like 'Yavaho' and is related at Genesis 2:4 to the Hebrew verbs for being past, present and future. Please see Rev 1:8 and the essay at http://www.ifmj.org/articles/YHVH.htm

Umm, if the tetragrammatin is THE four letter NAME and four letter words are curse... words then a fool could assert that Gods name is another curse word! The Watchtower was started by a FreeMason and used bible based religion to paint itself over with and conceal itself. I was decieved by the WT as most of the members of this site were, but the God of the Universe is not defined by charts or false religion fathers is he?

Respectfully, Paul

• FuzzyPaul
    FuzzyPaul

As for the Golden Calf issue, isn't it fair to say that Moses considered it gross defection and NOT a Defining of the nature or a proper symbolism of Almighty God?

• serendipity
    serendipity

Welcome fuzzy Paul!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit