YAHWEH is BAAL

by sinis 62 Replies latest watchtower bible

• mkr32208
    mkr32208

This is what I'm talking about so is jehogies baal or baal el or el is jehogie? The whole thing is foolish because the people who wrote the dang book didn't even know for sure what they believed!

• VM44
    VM44

Thank you sinis for the source of that chart.

I found the following when searching for "el" and "Chemosh Dagon" using Google.

"Is It God's Word?" By Joseph Wheless

http://www.infidels.org/library/historical/joseph_wheless/is_it_gods_word/

Specifically, Chapter 09, THE PAGAN GOD -- AND GODS -- OF ISRAEL

http://www.infidels.org/library/historical/joseph_wheless/is_it_gods_word/chapter_09.html

How reliable is Wheless' research?

--VM44

• VM44
    VM44

After reading chapter 9 of Wheless' book, I feel like saying "THAT'S IT!, I'M DONE".

--VM44

• moanzy
    moanzy

I just finished a book about the Israelites/Jews on their history from beginning at the time of Abraham. It indicates that when the 12 tribes of Israel were scattered that each tribe had their own spin on God and that YHWH and Elohim were one in the same.

The Hebrew scriptures are at least 2 stories of the same thing,but were put together as the Hebrew scriptures. Because of this, it has become confusing to figure out what is what. The author gives some very interesting theories on the history of the Jews.

Moanzy

• VM44
    VM44

Hi Moanzy,

What is the name and author of the book you read? I think I would like to look for it.

--VM44

• moanzy
    moanzy

VM44,

Just give me a sec, I loaned the book to another JWD poster here and I can't remember the whole title or the author.

Moanzy

• moanzy
    moanzy

VM44,

The book is called Jews, God and History---Max I Dumont.

This book also explains pretty well why the Jews were able to exist 4000 yrs later when the Greeks and Romans eventually died out, among other civilization that no longer exist.

• VM44
    VM44

Hi moanzy,

Thank you for looking up the title of the book. I am now off to Amazon to read more about it.

--VM44

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

VM44,

Wheless is a fascinating read, especially when you realise that just a few years later (1929) the Ras Shamra (Ugarit) discoveries would shatter much of his argument (showing that El and Baal were definitely more than common nouns and pointed to distinct gods, for instance) yet confirm his central intuition about the ancient polytheistic views which Israel shared with its neighbours. Also, due to the historico-critical theories of his time he probably tends to overestimate the number of polytheistic vestiges in the Hebrew Bible -- only a few instances of 'elohim qualify.

It's not up-to-date scholarship but it is certainly worth reading.

• greendawn
    greendawn

There is too much of a differene between the two, the Canaanite Baal was a god of total debauchery and had no concept of moral conduct whereas the Hebrew Yahveh was a god of very high moral standards that did not tolerate incest, adultery, homosexuality, fornication or human sacrifice. He wanted to make His nation a chaste royal priesthood.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit