What part of the bible makes no sense to you?

by JH 81 Replies latest watchtower bible

• fullofdoubtnow
    fullofdoubtnow

I always thought one of the most cruel accounts was in 2Kings, where a few kids called Elisha baldhead, so he called evil down on them, and 42 of them were ripped apart by 2 bears. What a terrible thing to do to a few cheeky kids!

I remember the bro who gave a talk on that, and used it to berate the kids in our kh to obey their parents, or else.

• under_believer
    under_believer

There's also the thing in the Law about how if a kid was rebellious (what teenager isn't rebellious?) they would be stoned. An elder in my best friend's hall told him during some trouble that he was having with his mom that if they were back in ancient Israel, he would have already been stoned to death by now with Jehovah's blessing.

• under_believer
    under_believer

RE: Jephthah's daughter:
    The footnote in the Amplified Bible says:
    Scholars fail to agree as to what Jephthah really did. For example, "This plain and restrained statement that 'he did with her according to his vow' is best taken as implying her actual sacrifice. Although human sacrifice was strictly forbidden to Israelites, we need not be surprised at a man of Jephthah's half-Canaanite antecedents following Canaanite usage in this matter" (F. Davidson, ed., The New Bible Commentary). And, "Although the lapse of two months might be supposed to have afforded time for reflection and a better sense of his duty, there is but too much reason to conclude that he was impelled to the fulfillment by the dictates of a pious but unenlightened conscience" (Robert Jamieson, A.R. Fausset and David Brown, A Commentary). And, "The religious system of Israel had fallen into suspension. From the days of Phinehas (Judg. 20:28) to the time of Samuel, we hear nothing of the high priest, the ark or the tabernacle" (The Cambridge Bible). On the other hand, J.P. Lange (A Commentary) articulates the position of many scholars when he calls attention to stories in Greek mythology in which the virginity of a goddess was celebrated by Greek maidens with song and dance. Summing up, Lange says, "At all events, it does not 'stand there in the text,' as Luther wrote, that she was offered in sacrifice." And the fact that the maidens mourned her virginity and not her death seems to prove that she did not die.

• under_believer
    under_believer

But my personal belief is that she was burned alive. They could have been mourning the fact that she was going to die a virgin.

• proplog2
    proplog2

The first 66 books.

• kazar
    kazar

1. Why did David take all the foreskins of the opponents he killed. What the heck did he do with them? What literal or symbolic purpose did it serve? Was it emasculation? Of course I could never ask the dubs. He was suspect to me the way he "loved Jonathan" more than a woman. Or was it the other way 'round. I'm glad i can't remember. King Saul. Such fits of melancholy. He just needed a witch doctor or psychiatrist. .

2. Ezekiel! How long did he have to lay on his side and see the thing he loved destroyed (presumably his wife?)

• Zep
    Zep

^^that foreskins one is a bit of a puzzler.yikes

God says: "A father shall no be punished for the sins of the son, nor the son be punished for the sins of the father. Each should be put to death for their own sin."

God kills Davids son because of something David did: adultery. God kills 70000 innocent people because David decided to take a census of Israel, which God told him to do....or was it Satan? God approves the putting to death of an entire family (donkeys and pets included) by them being thrown off a cliff, if remember correctly.

• Legolas
    Legolas

Here's a few...

The story about Jesus cursing a fig tree for not producing figs when he was hungry is really stupid. First of all, if Jesus can cure the dead, he can cure his own hunger. Second, if he wanted figs on the damn fig tree, he could have made them (he made the fishes and loaves, remember?). Thirdly, why curse a fig tree?? What good did that do? It whithered up (the Gospels disagree as to when, however). Why not just kick it, or pull it out of the ground... or, why not just realize that it's not fig season?? What a dumbass!

The bible mentions unicorns, satyrs (men with goat legs), cockatrices (rooster-serpents that kill when looked upon) and a race of Giants (they survived the Great Flood, because they appear both before and after it. I guess Noah made room for them on the Ark). The bible talks about these mythical creatures not in the mythical sense, but in the real sense, mentioning them right alongside real animals. That's really childish.

The story of the Tower of Babel is really stupid. To think that men would really, honestly try to build a tower to reach heaven... well that is clearly mythology to start with. And then to think that God would be so concerned about it as to mess up their languages is just too strange. It's a pathetic attempt to explain the origin of languages by the primitive and the ignorant.

After God creates Adam, they look amongst all the animals to find a suitable mate for Adam, but they are unsuccessful. I can just imagine that scene. That's too stupid for words.

The Second Book of Chronicles, chapter 13 verse 17, contains the incredible statement that 500,000 Israelites were slain in a single battle. This is simplly unbelieveable. This is more than were lost in any single battle of World War II, and even exceeds the number of deaths that resulted from the dropping of the atomic bombs on Nagasaki and Hiroshima. The greatest single battle of the Civil War was at Gettysburg, and the defeated army had 28,000 casualties (that includes both the wounded and the dead). Both sides together had approximately 51,000 wounded or dead. The actual number of those killed in action during the entire Civil War (1861-1865) was 110,100 for the Union and 94,000 for the Confederacy. Now, who can believe that 500,000 Israelites were slain in a single battle?

SO 5:4 (KJV) "My beloved put in his hand by the hole of the door, and my bowels were moved for him."
    Whoa, nelly. I don't even want to know...

EX 17:14 God says that he will utterly blot out the remembrance of Amalek.
    DT 25:19 "... you shall blot out the memory of Amalek from under heaven; you must not forget."
    (That remembrance is now permanently preserved in the Bible.)

1KI 6:2, 2CH 3:3 Solomon's temple was only about ninety feet long by thirty feet wide, yet: 153,300 persons were employed to build it (1KI 5:15-16), it took seven years to build (1KI 6:38), about 7,500,000 lbs. of gold and about 75,000,000 lbs. of silver were used (1CH 22:14). 24,000 supervisors (1CH 23:4) and 6,000 officials and judges were employed to manage it.
    (Note: Inasmuch as there seems to be uncertainty as to the exact weight of the biblical talent, some estimates place the weight of gold at more than 13,000,000 lbs. and the weight of silver at more than 116,000,000 lbs.).
    This is just crap, thrown in there so that the followers of Solomon could brag about how wealthy they were.
  • Swan
    Swan

Correct my math if I am doing this incorrectly, but even going by the conservative figure, that's over 30,000 lbs. for each square foot of building. That's over 15 tons per sq. foot without modern steel reinforcement. This doesn't even cover the added weight of any stone, wood or other building materials underneath the precious metals.

30 x 90 = 2700 sq ft

7,500,000 lbs gold

+ 75,000,000 lbs silver

-------------------

82,500,000 lbs / 2700 = 30555.56 lbs. / sq ft.

I don't know construction, but is that even physically possible?

Tammy

• earthtone
    earthtone

Most of what doesn't make sense to me has been mention

I was at this last convention bored out of my mind when reread the story of Lot. I was disguisted thinking about him offering his daughters to the ENTIRE city to rape. TO RAPE! HE SAYS DO WHAT IS GOOD IN YOUR EYES. You got to be f**king kidding me, right. And he was praised for this. I was so happy when they grab his azz, and tried to do the do with HIM.

Greymatter

I also read that account your talking about at the covention. How she had to prositute herself to get the old man to marry her. Very sickening.

TH TOWER OF BABEL

I understood that to mean that he did not want them to ge to puffed up with pride over their own accomplishments, and stop giving him(Jah) is due(praise)

DAVID

He just got away with too much sh*t, Unbelievable!

The rape laws are utterly ridiculous.

The whole Sarah and Hagar problem. Plain jealousy That's why the Jews are having problems now, those who want Gaza and the rest of Israel are descendant's of Ishmael. They see it as getting there just rewards.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit