Name Things JWs Try To "Demonize"

by minimus 83 Replies latest jw friends

• MidwichCuckoo
    MidwichCuckoo

Do you think Demons have street cred? I mean, what sort of Demon would hang around on a pair of fireside horse brasses? All his mates would take the pee out of him.

• katiekitten
    katiekitten

LMAO at Midwich (again tonight!)

Maybe there is a hierarchy of demons and the nerdy chess club ones hang out actually IN chess sets. The science club demons go for horse brasses, and the cool demons attach to Guns N Roses and Led Zep CD's.

• Sailor Ripley
    Sailor Ripley

I asked a while back in another thread of any known, actual Demon sightings or presence. I heard so much about every freakin' thing being "Demonized" that I'm sure someone would have seen something. Nothing that couldn't be explained medically.

Back to the thread, my cousins and I were told by a Sis at the Hall that the movie Close Encounters of the Third Kind was demonized as, ready for this: God is the first encounter, Jesus is the second; see where this is going? Yes, Satan was the Third.

Absolute lunacy. I should start a "Ghostbuster" business and promote myself to the Dubs.

• aniron
    aniron

Buying second - hand goods if you didn't know who had previously owned them used to spook quite a few in our hall

This was never a problem in my old congregation. Even a couple of the Elders and even the regular pioneers (one who was the service overseer) made a big thing about how they clothed themselves by going to charity shops such as Oxfam, British Heart Foundation and Scope.

Chess is a game of war, which is definitely naughty.

I used to play chess with the Elder who was the Watchtower study overseer.

If I recall the view of chess changed over the years.

Any book written by JRR Tolkein was demonized in some peoples eyes. My bf was telling me that a brother called on him, saw Lord of the Rings on his bookshelf, refused to stay unless Trev was prepared to remove the "offending" item.

Again knew plenty of JW's who were Lord of the Rings fans. I remember discussing with a JW brother about "The Silmarrillon" by Tolkien and how hard it was to get into. I loaned my three volumes of "Lord of the Rings" to the Presiding Overseers son, who was 22 at the time, he is dylexic. The PO never said a word about it, In fact a couple of months later he said it was the first time he had known his son read a book right through.

I think these are examples of how congregations vary from each other, even countries, American JW's seem a bit more paranoid over some things than British JW's.

I've known congregation where the brother were only alowed to wear white shirts and plain ties. Whereas in my congregation it was all colours of the rainbow and multi-coloured ties.

It all seems to come down to the whims of the Elders of the congregation.

• done4good
    done4good
    And yet the Society or local KHs would have no problem buying an old church and converting it for their own use.

Hell, they converted an old masonic temple in Paterson, NJ.

j

• MidwichCuckoo
    MidwichCuckoo

Have Ouija boards gone out of fashion now? Bet that made a few Demons redundant. Thought I saw a thread on them a few months ago?

• katiekitten
    katiekitten
    Bet that made a few Demons redundant.

Yeah, theyre down the demon job agency.

'got any positions mate?'

'well, weve got this here spatula in a car boot sale next sunday. Or how about a smurf?'

'come off it guvnor, nobody buys smurfs anymore'

'OK. well how about a cabbage patch doll? Or a Barney?

'Barney? BARNEYS not figgin demonised!'

'no, but he will be if you take the job'

• aniron
    aniron

I thought all demons were supposed to possess all those nasty Apostates!

• skeeter1
    skeeter1

Italian Horn Jewelry

Also, I don't remember the name of the item....but in New England homeowners put up a round plaque on the side of the home. It contained a geometric/quilt type pattern. The New Englanders said that these plaques warded off bad spirits. Of course, the JWs said they attracted the demons.

Skeeter

• skeeter1
    skeeter1

Insense (long stick that you burn)

Gargoyles

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit