NEED ADVICE ON FAKING A REINSTATEMENT

by Mary 72 Replies latest jw friends

• blondie
    blondie

A friend of mine who is DF'd is seriously considering trying to get reinstated in order to have his family back in his life.

I had avoided posting here to allow others to share their feelings and experiences. This is not my first period of "inactivity." I have left twice before for shorter periods of time over the last 40 years. I went back because I thought that if I tried harder and relied more on God that my family would treat me better. They did not. I can't imagine how I would have been treated if I had returned from being DF'd. You can be reinstated, but most JWs will remember you were once DF'd and are tainted; that once you deliberately disobeyed and most likely will again.

Even if you are gungho and zealous, they will always remember that you are a flawed person, no matter how invisble the mending. They will let you know that they NEVER left Jehovah (although they did by the actions and words many times unseen by other JWs).

Find other "family" who love you for who you are. Those who truly know how to love will love you.

Following the WTS rules with real conviction is hard enough let alone without it.

Love Blondie

• undercover
    undercover
    His family is aware that he does not believe this is God's Organization, but they want him to try and get reinstated anyway, so they can socialize together.

Let me get this straight...the family knows that even if he gets reinstated he won't really believe in it nor become an active member of the religion?

Why is it that he has to make this big sacrifice to have some family contact? Why can't they make some changes? They already know he doesn't believe it. Why can't they just accept him as he is and deal with it?

Why try to make him get reinstated? It's extortion. Get reinstated and we'll be your family again. Don't and we won't.

Even if he was to get reinstated...and they were a (seemingly) happy family again...they'll only push him more and more as time goes by to come to meetings, assemblies, share in service. They broke him once, they'll keep working at him until he either breaks and re-joins the insanity or they'll shun him again. They'll hold his love for them over his head forever.

• delilah
    delilah

Blondie said,"Even if you are gungho and zealous, they will always remember that you are a flawed person, no matter how invisble the mending. They will let you know that they NEVER left Jehovah (although they did by the actions and words many times unseen by other JWs).

Mary, this is how I felt, after I was reinstated. I went back in order to have my family back, and it was hell. I hope your friend thinks very seriously about this. Going back to meetings, made me physically ill....studying every stinking WT and book, (the elders make sure you have pre-studied) Everybody keeping a close eye on you, and your attendance, conduct, etc. Yukk.

If his family know how he feels about the "truth", then why don't they let him live his life as is, and just enjoy his company now and then? What's the big difference? It's all going to be a lie, him going back, they know it, don't they realize that Jehovah would also know it? and won't that bother them? .....oy vay.....

• Gregor
    Gregor

" Mary,

Your friend wants to have a normal relationship with his family if he has to fake a reinstatement so be it. It doesn't mean he has to kiss anyone's a **. "

LOL, Yes it does mean exactly that!! Not literaly of course, but in every sense of that expression .

• minimus
    minimus

I know PLENTY of people who were fakers. This is the KEY to getting a judicial committee to believe you or at least let you come back in........tell them you're sorry, truly repentant for what you did. You miss the sweet fellowship of the brothers and sisters. That you now know how bad the world out there really is. That you're staying away from the things that got you in trouble and that you regularly pray to Jehovah God every day, that you read the magazines cover to cover and that you won't miss a meeting----even if you're sick. Do that for a few months and you'll be allowed back in.

• Scully
    Scully

Having never been DFd or DAd, I really don't know the ins-and-outs of the judicial process well enough to say whether it would be worth it to jump through those flaming hoops of $h!t for the sake of my family members' respective Bible Trained Consciences™ to associate with me again.

Your friend really needs to consider how much psychological and emotional abuse he is willing to tolerate, and whether or not he is willing to tolerate the fact that he is merely going through the motions and living a lie in order to please other people who are more than happy to cut ties with him as a form of emotional blackmail to get him to return to the Organization™. As others have mentioned, a lot is going to depend on whether he is in the same congregation from where he was DFd in the first place, and whether the original JC that DFd him would be willing to listen to the recommendation of a committee from outside that congregation in the event that he's moved. It might be a lot easier to attend a congregation where you are not known, because the people there have no emotional investment in your return.

What happens if 6 months turns into 9 months? and 9 months turns into a year? and then a year and a half? I believe jgnat's hubby is going through this kind of extended and protracted psychological torture at the hands of the Body of Elders™, trying to prove himself sufficiently worthy of their special brand of Forgiveness™. Just how much of this crap is your friend willing to put up with, all the while his family is still not able to associate with him? I know someone who told the elders that he wanted to be Reinstated™ and when they realized that he was interested in resuming a relationship with his family (including grandchildren whom he has never met) they told him that his Heart Condition™ wasn't right, and they would not consider his request for Reinstatement™. This was after attending all the meetings for a year and jumping through all their hoops in the meantime.

While I know that I would not permit myself to be subjected to this manner of cruelty, even if it meant that my family never spoke to me or saw me again (they don't speak to me as it is, and I'm only Inactive™), I think it really depends on which family members are shunning you and what kind of relationship you had with them before the shunning began. I'm lucky enough to have gotten out with my husband and my kids, and have one sibling who shuns me, while the others never became JWs. My parents have very limited contact, and I learned a long time ago that the way to deal with people who have shunned me once is to shun them right back. I hear that mother was very insulted that I did not want to speak to her the last time I phoned their house (mainly, imo, because I didn't give her an opportunity to hang up on me). If Mr Scully and the kids had stayed in the JWs, I can pretty much guarantee that my activity would be sooooo much more covert and guarded.

There is a lot to be said for personal integrity too. If your friend is thinking of doing this in terms of "putting one over" on the Elders™ just to get his family back, that's fine. But once you're back in, little by little, the expectations to Study™ with an Elder™, or have Regular Meeting Attendance™, and have a respectable Field Service Report™ are going to creep up and they are going to want more, and more, and more. If your friend's stomach can handle it maybe it really is worth it to him.

It's a tough decision, and I'm sure not one he's making lightly. I wish him the best of luck. At least we're all here for him to vent to if he needs it.

• delilah
    delilah

I know someone who told the elders that he wanted to be Reinstated™ and when they realized that he was interested in resuming a relationship with his family (including grandchildren whom he has never met) they told him that his Heart Condition™ wasn't right, and they would not consider his request for Reinstatement™. This was after attending all the meetings for a year and jumping through all their hoops in the meantime.

Scully, this makes me so angry....that they can play God, and do this to people. It's WRONG,WRONG, WRONG! They are destroying families, left right and center, and they don't care. It has to stop.Somehow.........and they say, "leave it to Jehovah, only he knows the condition of the heart".....what a croc!

Mary, I understand why your friend is going to do this, I really do. I hope it works for him, and I certainly hope his family appreciates what he's about to do for them. I also hope he has the stomach, for all he is going to have to do...it is going to be wearisome for him.

Having gone through it myself, I would not do it again....at least not with the family I have.

• mouthy
    mouthy

There is a lot to be said for personal integrity too.

Reading all this I have to agree with scully!!! Personal integrity is more important to me... I lost my daughter two grand-kids two great-grand-kids. to the "god "of the Watchtower...I figure this IS theocratic warfare to the WT... I lost a daughter in the bombing in London England. So I figure I lost those kids I just mentioned to the bombs of the WT -- If your friend does get reinstated Mary... It will take for ever for them to trust him again. Smoking ? Yes 6 months! But you will be gossiped about for that small crime but APOSTASY!!!!! You will be under the microscope for years!!!! I am friendly with a few brothers ( now exjw) who tells of their jobs checking these reinstated people ---one mentioned two of them sat outside( in a car )the house with binoculars watching every move of the one who was wanting to rejoin the "fold" .Tell your friend. Who I would surmise does not trust God anymore( after the actions of the false prophets) He is selling himself to the Devil if he does go back. I love my daughter & grand-kids very much. I send them money( they dont acknowledge it) but they will have nothing to do with me.They keep the money!!! So if your friend wants to keep his kids that much >be warned he is under the watch of the Tower.... Whos God is the Devil....

Just my two cents worth.

• mouthy
    mouthy

BTTP

• MinisterAmos
    MinisterAmos

Oldflame;

The JW cult family tells him he has to get reinstated before we can talk to you . Well hell they knew that when they were disfellowshipped

Not 100% correct since intra-family contact was permitted up till the 2002 "new-light" revealed in the KM handout. Remember that MANY Dubz DF'ed or DA'ed from the ORG! They did NOT DA from their family. It is just another example of the control that the WT needs to assert over every aspect of the R&Filer's life that they decreed "no more communication with the expelled even if they are immediate family"

Lots of folks bounced back and reinstated after this announcement and the WT pointed excitedly to growing numbers of publishers. How many are falsely associated and have no love for the WT? Lots I bet.

Spiffy the way the Nazi-isms are included only in the hand-outs given to active Dubs and not to the general public wouldn't you say?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit