The Gentiles Times Reconsidered--Again but this Time By Using the Bible

by thirdwitness 1380 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

ThirdWitness,

All this earthquake stuff. Are you not hijacking your own thread?

lol...What a pillock.

HS

• PMJ2
    PMJ2

yes they lived in the last days of the Jewish system.but there was a greater fulfillment on a world scale.do you agree with this Hillary?if not are you saying the last days were only 2000 years ago?and that there was no greater fulfillment to the time of the end?

• AnnOMaly
    AnnOMaly

Flash
    So can a group's spins on doctrine (which is subjective as far as we people are concerned anyway) really be used as concrete evidence as God's favor? Concerning the Core Beliefs (and even some secondary ones) I believe it is. That fact that the WTS changes doctrines
    like we change socks does confuse things in a BIG way. It is IMO, part of their overall and almost complete failure in carrying out Christ's assignment to them.

You mean their 'core beliefs' agree with your idea of them. How can you be sure that your idea of 'core beliefs' coincide with God's idea of what they should be, to the extent that God would single out this group and elevate them above all others? Do you believe Russell was closer to the Truth than the modern-day JWs?

What if the Three Slaves who were given the Talents of Silver represented three time periods? (Matthew 25: 14 ~ 30 )

Personally, I think that's reading too much into the parable. Jesus entrusted his property to his 3 servants before he went away. The 3 servants were in his employment at the same time.

But again that's based on the premise that prior to 1914, God chose a group that had wackier doctrines than they have now! I can't see it.

Well, I don't know what more to add. I guess so long as we both do our best to be right in God's eyes we'll be OK, regardless whether we agree on this or not.

I guess so. :-)

Fisherman

COJ makes an interesting observation on Jesus beginning to rule as king in the 1st century. I was almost convinced from his arguments aginst Bible interpretation of the wts on this. I am not sold because the book of REV seeems to show jesus' kingdom yet into the future.

What do you make of the prolog to the vision in Rev. 1:4-6,19?

"John to the seven congregations that are in the [district of] Asia:

May YOU have undeserved kindness and peace from "The One who is and who was and who is coming," and from the seven spirits that are before his throne, and from Jesus Christ, "the Faithful Witness," "The firstborn from the dead," and "The Ruler of the kings of the earth."

To him that loves us and that loosed us from our sins by means of his own blood— and he made us to be a kingdom, priests to his God and Father—yes, to him be the glory and the might forever. Amen.

... Therefore write down the things you saw, and the things that are and the things that will take place after these."

T-wit

Sorry I will not be quoting the whole thing and refuting it. I doubt seriously that anyone even read it.

I did. And you wouldn't be able to refute it because we're dealing with facts, not spin.

• TD
    TD

Well, just for starters the one in 1737 INDIA: CALCUTTA 300,000 was most likely not an earthquakes but rather a typhoon, so says the US Geological survery.

This gentleman agrees:

Bilham, The 1737 Calcutta Earthquake and Cyclone Evaluated, Bull. Seism. Soc. Amer. 84(5), 1650-1657, 1994.

Sounds like a good reason to me to eliminate it from the list. Any others?

• thirdwitness
    thirdwitness

I compared the list from the USGS and Carl Jonnson. They just do not match up. One has an agenda and the other doesn't as shown by Jonnson putting a typhoon on the list. Unless I see reason to disbelieve the USGS site I will have to go with them. Sorry, but I just do not trust Carl Jonnson.

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

PMJ,

Thank you for attending to this question.

yes they lived in the last days of the Jewish system.but there was a greater fulfillment on a world scale.do you agree with this Hillary?
    Just to lay my cards here. I do not view the Bible to be an accurate book chronologically, historically or scientifically, in fact I am agnostic toward such matters. I can prove to you that it is not accurate in the regards that I note in the previous sentence. I would need to see evidence that any of the these prophetic scriptures could be taken beyond the 70CE fall of Jerusalem. I have seen none. I believe that from a scriptual viewpoint the Partial preterists and Pretersists view of such prophecies make much more sense than the adventist attempts at reading the future. Every scripture or event can be placed into a Preterist framework without any of the ambiguity that we have seen in this thread.
    if not are you saying the last days were only 2000 years ago?and that there was no greater fulfillment to the time of the end?
    Yes, that is exactly what I am saying. All the allusions that you and ThirdWitness point to to try to prove a 'greater' fulfillment of these scriptures are explainable in C1st terms. HS
  • thirdwitness
    thirdwitness

Here's another:

1721 IRAN: TABRIZ 100,000

USGS lists this for 1727.

• thirdwitness
    thirdwitness

1908 ITALY: MESSINA/REGGIO 110,000

This one IS on the USGS list.

• PMJ2
    PMJ2

another thing if the last days only applied to the first century.then what events was john writing about in the book of Revelation?Revelation was wrote at the very end of the first century.so obviously he was talking about a future time

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

PMJ,

another thing if the last days only applied to the first century.then what events was john writing about in the book of Revelation?Revelation was wrote at the very end of the first century.so obviously he was talking about a future time

Modern scholars no longer universally accept that the Revelation was written post the fall of Jerusalem, in fact compelling evidence from with the Revelation itself indicate that it had a pre 70CE authorship. The evidence that seems to support a later dating for the book is very tenous to say the least and is not determined by internal evidence, but by one slender line of evidence that in itself is open to theological attack, whereas the internal lines of evidence are very hard to overturn. These links will give you a very superficial view of the subject, but it is a good starting point, and will lay out the various Preterist arguments for you regarding the dating of Reveleation. http://ecclesia.org/truth/revelation.html http://www.christeternalchristianchurch.com/learningactivity39.htm HS

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit