For those not sick to death of talking about this...607 BCE

by Swamboozled 601 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Jeffro
    Jeffro

The bible does not say anywhere at all that Egypt was actually made desolate for 40 years.

It was foretold that Nebuchadnezzar would desolate Egypt for 40 years, however the reason for allowing that conquest should not be ignored. That is found at Ezekiel 29:35. The bible indicates that Jehovah would allow Nebuchadnezzar to conquer Egypt for helping to bring the foretold judgement against Jerusalem.

However, Nebuchadnezzar went too far. Zechariah 1:15 indicates Jehovah's indignation towards the nations because, although Jehovah used them to bring judgement against Jerusalem, he was only indignant "to a little extent", though the nations "helped toward calamity", causing more destruction than was necessary. (To indicate that this sentiment included Babylon, compare Jeremiah 25:38 and 51:34-36) The Society's publication Paradise Restored to Mankind - by Theocracy, chapter 8, p133 agrees.

So, because Nebuchadnezzar acted beyond what was required in the judgement of Jerusalem, it is perfectly valid that he was not permitted to have as thorough a conquest of Egypt as implied at Ezekiel 29:12.

So in combination with all of the other information already presented (most of which thirdwitness has ignored), this further explains why there is no evidence for a 40-year desolation of Egypt.

• jayhawk1
    jayhawk1
    Jayhawk1

You ask about the names of the celebrated WT scholars. I, too have asked that same very question so when I find the answer I will let you know.

scholar JW

Then how can these men be celebrated if the names are not known? How can these men be scholars if they never published anything scholastic?

• Dansk
    Dansk

Jayhawk1:

if they never published anything scholastic?

It isn't scholastic. It's E-lastic. They stretch the truth as much as they can!

Ian

• jayhawk1
    jayhawk1

Take note any Jehovah's Witness lurker out there. Not one of my questions have been answered with anything that resembles an answer. Every answer has been an attempt to avoid answering the question directly.

For instance a real answer to my question about JW scholars is, "I made a mistake, they are not celebrated Watchtower scholars, because they have not written anything scholastic, nor do they have the credentials to be scholars. The men I referred to as celebrated watchtower scholars are just a bunch of old men looking to make a buck that hide behind anonymity because if the world knew who they are, would ignore them entirely."

Another real answer would be, "Yes Jayhawk, I know exactly who they are, their names are ------------ and here is the scholastic papers they have written..."

Scholar what you have written in response makes me lose a little more respect for the JW faith. I hope that is what you was after, because it worked.

• fullofdoubtnow
    fullofdoubtnow
    Then how can these men be celebrated if the names are not known?

It's called information control Jayhawk,and the gb are past masters at that like not telling the rank & file they'd been in the UN until after they'd left it. . They only tell their followers what they think they need to know, and I guess they think no one outside the gb needs to know who these "celebrated watchtower scholars" are. They applied the same rule with the people who compiled the new world translation, no one knew who those scholars were until Ray Franz told us in Crisis of Cinscience.

I know Scholar has promised to try to find the answer, but I wouldn't hold your breath if I were you.

• thirdwitness
    thirdwitness

For those who do not have time to read this whole thread allow me to give a brief summary for you. First a link was given to a site that Biblically proves 607 and disproves 587.

3w: http://www.jehovahsjudgment.co.uk/607/default.html

Alanf: Here's a challenge for you, thirdwitness: You pick one topic from the site you linked to, and argue the case on this forum. You'll get a run for your money.
    But I don't think you, or any other JW-defender, is up to the challenge.

And so 3w put forth the infomation found here: http://www.jehovahsjudgment.co.uk/607/egypt.html
    This information showed that the 40 year desolation of Egypt by Neb as prophecied by Jehovah in Ezekiel 29-32 clearly disproves 587 beyond a doubt. Now it became pertinent for 587 defenders to disprove that the 40 year desolation of Egypt never happened as prophecied. They certainly could not admit that JWs are right. And so the discussion proceeded. While the discussion also covered other areas, this summation will only cover the discussion that concerns the 40 year desolation of Egypt. Lets look at the 587 defender's proofs.

AlanF told us their were 'legions' of problems with the reasoning presented. Wading thru all the long writings and name calling such as moron, retardo, idiot, thirdwitless, etc, what do we find their arguments against the 40 year desolation to be.

1. Ezekiel said Tyre would never be rebuilt but it was, therefore since the Tyre prophecy is figurative then the Egypt prophecy must be figurative.

2. Jehovah told Jonah to tell Nineveh that it would be overthrown but when Ninevah repented he did not carry it out so likewise Egypt.

3. There is no secular evidence that gives any indication that Egypt was desolated during this time period.

4. There is no way that Babylon could have displaced millions of Egytians.

5. Ezekiel was a false prophet and neither the Tyre prophecy or the Egypt prophecy came true.

Yes, this was the very best that could be mustered up to disprove the 40 year desolation of Egypt by Neb. What did an examination of each argument reveal?

1. Ezekiel said Tyre would never be rebuilt but it was, therefore since the Tyre prophecy is figurative then the Egypt prophecy must be figurative.

There are many things in the Bible that are figurative. It is faulty reasoning to say of totally unrelated subjects without any connection, 'Since this is figurative then that must also be figurative.' Even if we assume that the Tyre prophecy is figurative, it must be shown that this is somehow connected to the Egypt prophecy and that it must also be figurative. No connection was made except that both prophecies were made by Ezekiel. Do we conclude that all prophecies in the Bible are figurative because the Tyre prophecy is figurative(assuming that it is)? Do we assume that all prophecies of Ezekiel are figurative because the Tyre prophecy is figurative? The reasoning is absurd.

2. Jehovah told Jonah to tell Nineveh that it would be overthrown but when Ninevah repented he did not carry it out so likewise Egypt.

The Bible goes into detail in the story and Jonah and explains exactly how the king of Ninevah and his subjects repented, thus Jehovah spared them. Do we have such details of Egypt's repentance anywhere in the Bible? Or we told how Pharoah and his crowd repented in sackcloth and ashes when they heard of their coming destruction? Surely such a huge act of repentance by a notoriously pagan nation would have been recorded in the Bible as an example for all? How about in the secular evidence? Do we have available the ancient fragments that decribe to us how Pharoah and his crowd left his pagan gods and turned to the worship of Jehovah. It is difficult to even answer this point without laughing? What a joke this reasoning is?

3. There is no secular evidence that gives any indication that Egypt was desolated during this time period.

There is very little secular evidence about Egypt during this time. It is not surprising that Egypt would fail to record such a defeat. After all, they did not record the exodus of the Israelites from Egypt either. Does that mean the exodus never happened?

But why didn't the Babylonians record this defeat upon Egypt? Surely they would have bragged about it. Well, there most definitely is proof that the attack by Nebuchadnezzar against Egypt happened. The evidence shows that just two years after the final part of the prophecy against Egypt an attack was made by Neb against Egypt. The Babylonian chronicle known as BM 33041 says: "In the thirty-seventh year of Nebuchadnezzar, king of the country of Babylon, he went to Mitzraim (Egypt) to make war. Amasis, king of Egypt, collected [his army], and marched and spread abroad..." Fortunately for 587 proponents the rest of the chronicle is badly damaged and the extent of the defeat of Egypt cannot be read. But I am quite sure that if we could read the entire inscription we would have the further proof. However, the part that can be deciphered is enough to prove that a campaign by Neb against Egypt did take place right on time just after Ezekiel prophecied it. What a coincidence, huh?

4. There is no way that Babylon could have displaced millions of Egytians.

This is surely what Babylon was known to do. They had experience at displacing entire nations. Look at the nation of Judah. How many millions were killed and displaced by Babylon? Yes, there if proof positive that Babylon could and did exile entire nations from their homeland. On top of this, the all powerful Jehovah prophecied it and could make it so. What a straw grasping argument that goes against Jehovah's power and the actual nature of Nebuchadnezzar to exile people from their land.

5. Ezekiel was a false prophet and neither the Tyre prophecy nor the Egypt prophecy came true.

This argument is made by the ones that realize that if Ezekiel's prophecy is accurate then 587 is wrong. So rather than being dishonest and pretending that the Bible supports 587 they come right out and tell you that the Bible is wrong on this. Many did this on this thread. One of which is one of the leaders here among you against 607, AlanF. He declared: Ezekiel demonstrably falsely prophesied about the ultimate rebuilding of Tyre, and all of his other prophecies are called into question....Because you failed to acknowledge the fact that Ezekiel prophesied falsely, the rest of your statements are mere attempts to misrepresent the issue and misdirect your readers....The simple fact is that Ezekiel prophesied falsely, and therefore his words cannot be taken as gospel.

I rest my case.

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

....and if any of you doubted that you are dealing with two buffoons arguing with an agenda given to them by other buffoons, here is your evidence :

Buffoon #1,

I did enjoy the pretty picture of modern Tyre that you posted for my benefit and I am overjoyed that you kindly thought of me. However, what you have presented merely shows some remains of the ancient Tyre which of course has not been rebuilt as it is still there as it was. All that has happened over the centuries is the building of a new Tyre which exists in a modern form today but the ancient city of Tyre has not been rebuilt it remains as it was, strfipped of its former glory. So, the existence of the ancient city and the modern city today clearly proves the fulfillment of Ezekiel's words that Tyre, that Phoenician will never be rebuilt.

Bufoon #2,

Leo: in red I give the coastline of ancient Tyre as it was in Phoenician times. In blue I give the coastline of present-day Tyre. And in orange I give the ancient coastline of the mainland. And in pink I've highlighted the part of ancient Tyre that is still presently not submerged and which is presently occupied and urbanized to this day. Even part of the ancient harbor today has buildings on it.

Wow, quite a bit submerged. You just convinced me that Jehovah was right. Thanks.

Can you imagine planet earth, after Armageddon that is, cleansed of all defilers of WTS words and being in the control of such sharp minds? A little like the Walton's on Ecstacy. HS
  • AlanF
    AlanF

scholar pretendus stupidus maximus wrote:

: I do not accept your tabulation or your methodology

I understand why: You're a complete moron, and you have absolutely no idea what you're doing.

: The first year of Cyrus is given by Jack Finegan in his Handbook of Biblical Chronology, 1998, p.180, Table 88 as 538/537 BCE. Therefore, that first year was evenly divided or lay equally between the 538 and 537,

This is among the most moronic conclusions you've ever disgorged on this forum.

Your latter statement is absolute gibberish, and contradicts what the Watchtower Society says. What do you actually mean by "that first year was evenly divided or lay equally between the 538 and 537"? For the Jewish year to be evenly divided between one Julian year and the next, it would have to begin in the middle of the Julian year, namely, in Tammuz (month 4; June/July). But that contradicts the Bible, which clearly begins the counting of Jewish years with Nisan (month 1), and if it were so, then Cyrus' first year would have begun in Tammuz of 539 B.C. and ended in Sivan of 538. So you can't have Cyrus' first year begin in 538 with an "evenly divided" year system. Your claim contradicts even the Watchtower Society's discussion of Cyrus' first year in Insight, Vol. 1, p. 568, which most certainly agrees that Cyrus' first year began sometime in 538. It even tends to agree with Finegan's dating of Cyrus reign: "Babylonian custom would place Cyrus’ first regnal year as running from Nisan of 538 to Nisan of 537 B.C.E."

Furthermore, it is now obvious that you have no understanding of what Finegan actually wrote, or of how ancient chronology is handled in the scholarly community. Your claim actually contradicts how Finegan handles such chronology. For example, writing in Light from the Ancient Past (Princeton University Press, 1959, p. 569), Finegan presents a detailed table illustrating how Nebuchadnezzar's reign fit in the Babylonian and sacred Jewish calendars. This table is reproduced below. Note that Finegan uses the Babylonian spelling for the month names, but these correspond in an obvious manner with the Jewish names.

alt

Note that the table indicates that a Babylonian/Jewish year that begins in a particular Julian year in Nisanu ends in the following Julian year with Addaru, and that the Julian year changes from one date to the next in Tebetu. For example, the first line shows Nebuchadnezzar's first year beginning in 604 B.C. in Nisanu, Tebetu as the last month in 604, and Shabatu as the first month in 603. This is perfectly in accord with scholarly convention, and with the table I presented in my post 4557. It flatly contradicts your idiotic claims.

The onus is on you, scholar pretendus stupidus maximus, to justify your ridiculous claims.

Since everything you've said in your post is demonstrably false, given the above information, there is no point in my commenting further.

AlanF

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

Thirdwitness,

This argument is made by the ones that realize that if Ezekiel's prophecy is accurate then 587 is wrong. So rather than being dishonest and pretending that the Bible supports 587 they come right out and tell you that the Bible is wrong on this. Many did this on this thread. One of which is one of the leaders here among you against 607, AlanF. He declared: Ezekiel demonstrably falsely prophesied about the ultimate rebuilding of Tyre, and all of his other prophecies are called into question....Because you failed to acknowledge the fact that Ezekiel prophesied falsely, the rest of your statements are mere attempts to misrepresent the issue and misdirect your readers....The simple fact is that Ezekiel prophesied falsely, and therefore his words cannot be taken as gospel

You failed to answer my challenge regrading Biblical inconsistency, and I note that you avoided answering AlanF when he suuggested a similar notion to you with his questions. Shall we start a new thread to discuss such matters?

You may think it irrelevant to the subject, but it is in fact highly relevant. If we can prove to you that the Bible is not just inconsistent, but downright incorrect about many matters, then you will have to admit that it can no longer be trusted to argue WTS chronology with impugnity. It would actually take care of all these chronological issues at one stroke.

So how about it, 'lover of truth'? Are you prepared to deal with the truth? Will you enter such a discussion?

HS

• AlanF
    AlanF

thirdwitless, can you explain to our JW lurkers why you disagree with "the faithful and discreet slave's" explanation of the 70 years of Tyre's being forgotten?

Can you explain why Exodus' statement that the heavens and the earth and everything in them were created in six days is false?

AlanF

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit