For those not sick to death of talking about this...607 BCE

by Swamboozled 601 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Leolaia
    Leolaia
    As for the 'he' 'they' pronouns you are still inconsistent. Now lets go thru this one more time for those that are hard of hearing:

Why go through this again if you refuse to deal with any of the points I brought up, such as what Ezekiel meant by the "nations" brought up against Tyre with Nebuchadnezzar?

New Part for Leo: Now let me at this juncture add something for Leo. Notice verse 7 says: with horses and war chariots and cavalrymen and a congregation, even a multitudinous people. You would surely agree that this is 'they'. That is what you pointed out. And yet Ezekiel continues for several more verses saying 'he'. Who is the 'he'. Why, it is Neb of course. Why didn't Ezekiel say 'they'. He has already mentioned the horses and chariots and cavalrymen and multitudinous people. But Ezekiel continues to say 'he'. That is until verse 12 when he begans to talk about what the 'many nations' will continue to do.

I already told you that the third person singular reference in v. 11 implicitly construes Nebuchadnezzar as accompanied by his warriors who ride "his" horses and who kill the citizens under his direction. I seriously doubt the text is claiming that Nebuchadnezzar alone killed the people while his soldiers stood idly by. Similarly, from v. 8: "He will ravage your settlements on the mainland with the sword; he will set up siege works against you, build a ramp up to your walls and raise his shields against you." Did Nebuchadnezzar do all that by himself, or did he have people from his great army provide the labor for this? The shift from third singular to plural does not indicate that an entirely different event is being discussed, for v. 7 already states that Nebuchadnezzar was accompanied by "horsemen and a great army" (i.e. that a PLURAL invasion force is involved). The plural is used in v. 12 because it recapitulates what is said in v. 4 (cf. chmwt hrsw "they demolish walls" in both). Notice that "many nations" in v. 4 also "pull down her towers" (hrsw mgdlyh), that is PLURAL, and v. 9 attributes this to Nebuchadnezzar: "He shall break down your towers (ytts mgdlyk)". Both are of course the case because Nebuchadnezzar is directing the seige: he pulls down the towers but of course he does not do it by himself but through his army of ruthless men from "many nations".

In short, v. 10 referred to both a "he" and a plural entity of "horsemen," v. 11 referred to both a "he" and the plural entity of "his horses" (which implicitly assume the horsemen riding them), and v. 12 refers to a plural entity of people pillaging the city. I have already demonstrated that what is described in v. 12 is the logical consequence of what happened in v. 10-11 and thus is part of a single narrative. For you to take the use of the plural in v. 12 to claim that this is referring to a completely different event when the preceding verses had plural antecedents for this is to grasp at anything to justify your arbitrary splitting up of the text. Now if the text after v. 11 then said: "And a second nation came commanded by another king, and they laid seige on the city, after which the walls broke through a second time," and then v. 12 followed, then obviously there would be a break there. But there is no second siege described. Verse 12 is the final part of the sequence of events described for Nebuchadnezzar's siege.

• VM44
    VM44

AlanF quoted this from Halley's Bible Handbook concerning Tyre:

Halley's Bible Handbook (2000) notes on page 422: "It never recovered its former glory and has for centuries been a 'bare rock' where fisherman 'spread fishnets' (26:4-5, 14), an amazing fulfilment of Ezekiel's prohecy that it "will never be rebuilt".

Looking at the 1917 aerial photograph of Tyre that Leolaia posted makes me wonder what sort of research Dr. Halley did when researching his handbook. There are buildings all over the place! Halley's statement about the "amazing fulfilment" that Tyre "will never be rebuilt" is just simply wrong.

--VM44

• Jeffro
    Jeffro
    I enjoyed the pretty pictures of the modern day city of Tyre known as Sur in Lebanon but you failed to provide the geographical co-ordinates for the ancient Phoenecian city of Tyre. Ezekiel prophesied in 26:14 that "city will never be rebuilt" but apostates claim that this prophecy is false and that it has been rebuilt.

Certainly, the area in which the ancient island city of Tyre has been rebuilt over the centuries and exists today but I did not see any evidence of that ancient city of Ezekiel's era in that lovely photo from Earth Google. In the future, I may visit Tyre and with my hand-held GPS unit I can feed in those precise coordinates and find that ancient city or the city that has been rebuilt on the precise site of that ancient city

What a twit! The area on the right of the picture was the previous coastline, and the part that juts out into the sea is what used to be the island with the causeway built up to its right connecting it to the mainland. The entire area - the mainland and island part - were the ancient site of Tyre. So exact co-ordinates are hardly necessary, as almost the entire area has been rebuilt and is inhabited, with a small section of ruins in the south west.

And 'scholar' can't even get the name of "Google Earth" right!

• Jeffro
    Jeffro
    I have just now looked at your crazy nonsense trying to prove 538 BCE for the Return. Your methodology is plain dumb and simply wrong. My analysis proves quite of subject that the Jews returned home by Tishri of 537 in the first year of Cyrus. The second year of Cyrus saw the laying of the Temple foundation in the second month of 536 in harmony with Josephus.

Because 'scholar' cannot at all refute the simple and faultless facts, with diagram, he is reduced to childish taunts of 'crazy nonsense' and 'plain dumb'. Of course he cannot at all indicate why those claims of his are at all valid.

The year 538 is simply impossible as the Jews returned home by the seventh month, Tishri of 537 and not 538 because Tishri in the first year of Cyrus from Nisan 538-Nisan 537 proves that the seventh month Tishri falls not in 538 but 537BCE. Apostates in their desperation to undermine the integrity of 607 need to resort to desperate means which is plainly shown by your clumsy use of calendation.
    LOL. What an absolute fool!! 'scholar' claims that "Tishri in the first year of Cyrus from Nisan 538-Nisan 537 proves that the seventh month Tishri falls not in 538 but 537BCE". He explicitly (and correctly) indicates the exact period of Cyrus' first year as running from around April of 538 to April of 537, which clearly cannot include October of 537, and then immediately makes the claim that the very statement "proves" that Tishri (October) of that year fell in 537! It could not be more obvious that 'scholar' is wrong!!

My tabulation employs six lines of data based upon the accepted fact that the 1st year of Cyrus ran from Nisan of 538 until Nisan 537 BCE therefore such a framework proves conclusively that the seventh month falls not in 538 but in 537 BCE.

At this point I have to join ozziepost in asking "What is 'scholar' smoking?"

• AlanF
    AlanF

scholar pretendus goatus buggerus wrote:

: I enjoyed the pretty pictures of the modern day city of Tyre known as Sur in Lebanon but you failed to provide the geographical co-ordinates for the ancient Phoenecian city of Tyre.

It's hard to believe, but you become more moronic every time you post.

First, your call for me to provide geographic coordinates is just plain stupid. With just a wee bit of work -- which you are obviously highly averse to -- you can find it yourself. Your idiotic call here is a red herring.

Second, I already gave the geographic coordinates. In my post 4532 responding to you, I told you that I had already given the exact geographic coordinates in a previous post. In that previous post 4530 I gave the exact geographic coordinates of the middle of the sandbar which connects the old island part of Tyre with the mainland part: 33:16:12 N by 35:12:10 E.

You are stupid beyond words, Neil.

: Ezekiel prophesied in 26:14 that "city will never be rebuilt" but apostates claim that this prophecy is false and that it has been rebuilt.

Which is correct. If you look at the various maps and photos that several posters have provided -- in contrast to you idiot JW defenders, who cannot even manage properly to look at maps when they're displayed on the screen in front of you -- you'll immediately see that the entire island is now occupied by dwellings. Therefore, the old island city has been rebuilt, since it's unarguably on the same piece of land, unarguably has the same name, and its inhabitants as well as the rest of the world understand that the city has been destroyed and rebuilt many times over the centuries.

: Certainly, the area in which the ancient island city of Tyre has been rebuilt over the centuries and exists today but I did not see any evidence of that ancient city of Ezekiel's era in that lovely photo from Earth Google.

That's because you're morally stupid and refuse to admit what you see.

: In the future, I may visit Tyre and with my hand-held GPS unit I can feed in those precise coordinates and find that ancient city or the city that has been rebuilt on the precise site of that ancient city.

You just do that, you idiot.

You also wrote:

: Alan F and Jeffro

: I have just now looked at your crazy nonsense trying to prove 538 BCE for the Return.

So you admit that everything you've written up to this point that you claimed was in response to our many posts over a period of many months was not based on actually reading our posts, even though you pretended that it was. You admit that you're a liar, then. What does the Bible say about liars? It is obvious that you do not actually read posts in response to your nonsense, but only pretend to. I figured that out a long time ago.

Furthermore, in view of your previous responses where you failed to read what we said, but you responded as if you did, the Bible has appropriate words for you: "When anyone is replying to a matter before he hears it, that is foolishness on his part and a humiliation." -- Proverbs 18:13. Of course, anyone who has followed your foolish career on this forum does not need to be reminded that you're a silly fool.

: Your methodology is plain dumb and simply wrong. My analysis proves

What "analysis"? You've never attempted to present one.

: quite of subject

Are you writing in English?

: that the Jews returned home by Tishri of 537 in the first year of Cyrus. The second year of Cyrus saw the laying of the Temple foundation in the second month of 536 in harmony with Josephus.

Really. Then you're claiming that the 2nd year of Cyrus ran from Nisan 536 through Adar 535. But in this, you contradict the Watchtower Society, which properly assigns Cyrus' 2nd year from Nisan 537 through Adar 536, and his 1st year from Nisan 538 through Adar 537.

Josephus clearly states that the Temple foundations were laid in the 2nd month of the 2nd year of Cyrus, which, in agreement with Watchtower dating, was in the spring of 537 B.C., namely, the month of Iyaar. Ezra 3 clearly indicates similar dating. Ezra 3 also specifically states that the Temple foundations were laid in the 2nd month of the year after the Jews' return, which was obviously 537 B.C. -- unless you reject the Society's dating of Cyrus' reign. Therefore, the year of the Jews' return was 538.

Your 'analysis' is wrong.

You provide no data, and you provide no arguments. You state mere conclusions with no support whatsoever.

The reason you do this is obvious: as soon as you state the reasons for your stupid and unsupported conclusions, it becomes obvious even to you that they're stupid and unsupported.

Furthermore, in one post you even managed to admit that Josephus' statement about the date of the Temple's rebuilding was correct, that it was in 537 B.C. Now you change your tune. Why?

: The year 538 is simply impossible as the Jews returned home by the seventh month, Tishri of 537 and not 538.

Circular reasoning at its finest.

: because Tishri in the first year of Cyrus from Nisan 538-Nisan 537 proves that the seventh month Tishri falls not in 538 but 537BCE.

How stupid can anyone possibly be? You're admitting that Cyrus' 1st year was as I stated above. You obviously have no concept of simple math, and of how months run. Let me help you. I will list the relevant months in each relevant year. You try and follow this simple text, eh?

538___Nisan_____Cyrus' 1st Year, Month 1____Cyrus issues his famous decree
    538___Iyyar______Cyrus' 1st Year, Month 2
    538___Sivan_____Cyrus' 1st Year, Month 3
    538___Tammuz__Cyrus' 1st Year, Month 4
    538___Ab_______Cyrus' 1st Year, Month 5
    538___Elul______Cyrus' 1st Year, Month 6
    538___Tishri_____Cyrus' 1st Year, Month 7____Jews are in their cities
    538___Heshvan__Cyrus' 1st Year, Month 8
    538___Chislev___Cyrus' 1st Year, Month 9
    538/7_Tebeth____Cyrus' 1st Year, Month 10
    537___Shebat____Cyrus' 1st Year, Month 11
    537___Adar_____Cyrus' 1st Year, Month 12
    537___Nisan____Cyrus' 2nd Year, Month 1
    537___Iyyar_____Cyrus' 2nd Year, Month 2____Temple foundations laid

If you can't understand this simple list, then there's no help for you.

: Apostates in their desperation to undermine the integrity of 607 need to resort to desperate means which is plainly shown by your clumsy use of calendation.

Actually the reverse is true. You can't even understand that the 7th month, Tishri, of the Jewish year Nisan 538 through Adar 537 is still in the year 538, and that the 2nd month of the next year is in 537. But perhaps my diagram will have clued you in.

: My tabulation

What tablulation, you moron? You haven't given any.

: employs six lines of data based upon the accepted fact that the 1st year of Cyrus ran from Nisan of 538 until Nisan 537 BCE therefore such a framework proves conclusively that the seventh month falls not in 538 but in 537 BCE.

You're about as dumb as a flea.

AlanF

• Dansk
    Dansk

Don't ya just love AlanF!

Thanks, Alan!

Ian

• AuldSoul
    AuldSoul
    thirdwitness: Was Egypt desolated for 40 years without inhabitant during Neb's rule like the Bible prophecied it would be?

I don't answer questions where the only choices are yes or no unless I know for certain one or the other is correct.

Also, the Bible didn't say the 40 years would be during Neb's rule, it said he would be the one to bring them under the dominion. Since he only ruled for 43 years and did NOT overthrow Egypt in his 3rd regnal year, as you have phrased the question my answer would be no, because I know for sure this answer to your question (as phrased) is correct.

You want to ask simple yes or no questions but I wonder if you will answer them.

Do you have ANY evidence that Nebuchadnezzar completely depopulated Egypt for 40 years and dispersed the Egyptians to foreign nations, yes or no?

I answered the question you asked, now we will see whether you are discussing or simply preaching. This is not a pulpit, it is a discussion forum. Please, answer my question.

AuldSoul

• thirdwitness
    thirdwitness

Auldsoul ask: Do you have ANY evidence that Nebuchadnezzar completely depopulated Egypt for 40 years and dispersed the Egyptians to foreign nations, yes or no?

Yes.

• thirdwitness
    thirdwitness

Was Egypt desolated for 40 years without inhabitant during Neb's rule like the Bible prophecied it would be?

Yes or No.

• toreador
    toreador
    Auldsoul ask: Do you have ANY evidence that Nebuchadnezzar completely depopulated Egypt for 40 years and dispersed the Egyptians to foreign nations, yes or no?

Yes.

Well, I would like to know where it is then. Tor

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit