Badges for Conventions

by ThomasCovenant 50 Replies latest jw experiences

• gymbob
    gymbob

I remember one of the last DC's I attended in Bakersfield, Ca., I worked in the Accounting Dept., we had these little colored badges under our regular badges that we were suppose to flip-up to show we had some "clearance" to other areas and to go pick-up the contribution boxes.

This one old sister (from my own congregation mind you) who was watching her big round contribution box, wouldn't let me take it after I flashed her my "badge-under-the-badge", oh my freakin' god....you wouldn't believe the scene she made! I wasn't going to make a deal out of it, so I go get my accounting dept. overseer, she doesn't care.....she won't give it up to anybody! It took 3-4 badge-flashing attendants about 20 minutes to FORCE it from her, and boy was she mad!

I can laugh about it now.....one of my few fun moments at a convention!

• geevee
    geevee

sorry. i haven't read all the posts and pages, but your wife shouldv'e suggested that she was DFed, he would've ran a mile in record time!!!!

• sass_my_frass
    sass_my_frass

It's all good news. That is, sorry for the aggravation, but the more weiners there are on the door, the less likely a new person is to go back.

• CordyC
    CordyC

I lost my badge at the convention on the Saturday of the program this year. It was the standard badge with my name all printed on a little transparent plastic piece to put over the card in the badgeholder, had it for a few years now. I took losing that as a sign that I won't be back again next year. I hate the conventions, assemblies, door to door and meetings with a passion now.

CC

• evergreen
    evergreen

This experience once again proves that love is conditional within the WT organisation!!

• funkyderek
    funkyderek

Riverwatcher:

...my question is is there some sort of different "catch phrase" on the oh-so-necessary badges every year? Does the phrase somehow reflect the main theme of the convention that year? Just curious. Thanks!

Yes, it's the name of the convention. This year it was "The End is Nigh" or something like that.

• blondie
    blondie

badges AKA lapel cards

km 4/04 p. 7 Announcements ***

DISTRICT CONVENTION PARKING: At all convention sites where we have secured control of the parking facilities, the spaces will be made available at no charge on a first-come, first-served basis. No parking tickets will be used, but convention badge cards will serve as identification for parking.

km 5/98 p. 6 1998 "God’s Way of Life" District and International Conventions ***

Badge

Cards: Please wear the 1998 badge card at all times while in the convention city and when traveling to and from it. This often creates opportunities for us to give a fine witness

km 6/89 p. 4 Seize Every Opportunity to Witness—Part 1 ***

The "Godly Devotion" District Conventions present us with fine opportunities to do informal witnessing. Lapel badges often prompt people to ask us who we are and where we are going. Of course, we can initiate the conversation by telling people that we are delegates to a convention and explain why we are attending. When we stop for gas, eat in restaurants, stay in motels, go shopping, or merely take a stroll, we should look for appropriate ways to witness informally

km 4/00 p. 7 Question Box ***

· Who should receive a district convention lapel badge card?

Convention lapel badge cards can be very helpful in identifying our brothers and in advertising the convention. However, they should not be distributed indiscriminately. They identify the wearer as being in good standing with a particular congregation of Jehovah’s Witnesses.

The Society sends a supply of cards to each congregation. It would be appropriate to give a card to each baptized and unbaptized publisher. Also, children and others who regularly attend congregation meetings and who are making progress toward sharing in the field ministry may receive one. It would not be proper to give a convention lapel badge card to a disfellowshipped person.

km 5/83 p. 6 1983 "Kingdom Unity" District Convention ***

LAPEL

CARDS: These cards are provided as a means of advertising the convention as well as to facilitate identifying our brothers and sisters in attendance.

*** km 10/83 p. 8 Some Adjustments in the Use of Various Forms ***

Use of lapel cards at circuit assemblies is being discontinued. However, lapel cards will continue to be used at district conventions.

*** km 5/77 p. 5 "Joyful Workers" District Assembly ***

LAPEL CARDS: No doubt all will enjoy wearing the cards as a means to advertise the assembly and to get acquainted with other brothers and sisters in attendance.

*** km 5/70 p. 7 Announcements ***

Lapel cards are not obtainable at the book counters at assemblies. Lapel cards are 1c each and celluloid holders are 5c each. There will be no bumper signs this year.

If you must attend, have your tried putting your name as

Bart Simpson

South Park Congregation

?

Blondie

• undercover
    undercover
    If you must attend, have your tried putting your name as

Bart Simpson

South Park Congregation

That's pretty good...

We should have a contest to see who can come up with the best alias name and congregation

• quixote
    quixote

"Badges!? We ain't got no badges. We don't need no badges! I don't have to show you any stinking badges!!"

Never did like to wear them myself.

• AlanB
    AlanB
    What about disfellowshipped people? I couldn't wear badges for the three conventions I went to as a DF'd person.

They should have got you to wear a sign and ring a bell, "Unclean,.... Unclean" in case anyone accidentally spoke to you.

I visited the British Museum the other weekend and the place was teeming with Witnesses all wearing their ID badges, being herded around the same exhibits I went round on a cong trip 12 years ago. The guide asked one group a question and the entire group answered in unision.

Quite a bazzare experience, dont think I have been that close to such a large group of JW's for years.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit