Badges for Conventions

by ThomasCovenant 50 Replies latest jw experiences

• Good Girl or Bad Girl?
    Good Girl or Bad Girl?

What about disfellowshipped people? I couldn't wear badges for the three conventions I went to as a DF'd person. But if you didn't go then the JC elders would hold that against you.

Because I was DF'd and didn't have a parking pass I was questioned about paying one year. I had a medical directive in my wallet and used that - there was no way in hell I was going to pay for parking to go to a convention by myself and be treated like Little Miss Invisible for three days!

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere
    "Am I correct in saying this is a public event?"

"Yes"

"So why are you stopping me and asking for my badge?"

I have wondered the very same thing. The WTS has the JWs go around passing out invitations to the public and then when someone without a badge shows up the attendants interrogate them. WTF????

This tells me that the whole "public invitation campaign" is nothing more than busy work for the JWs. The conventions are designed to reinforce the Watchtower brainwashing, not to educate the public.

• karen96
    karen96

As most ex-sister's know, DC's were the biggest fashion show of the year! Many would spend hours looking for the perfect dress, the perfect accessories, and spend time putting it all together. Then the society wants me to poke hole in my new threads just so they can identify me?! Hated that!

karen

• undercover
    undercover

I didn't go to the convention this year. Last year, I went to one morning session, and the year before that on Saturday. Before that I've been to every convention for as long as I can remember. Since I was in my early twenties, I quit wearing a name badge. I hate em, whether it's a JW convention or an industrial lubricant convention. I avoid wearing them at all costs.

But, in all my years of not wearing one (even when I was an attendant) I have never been asked where my badge was nor was I ever instructed to hound the friends about theirs.

I wonder if this is just a localized thing where there may have been "apostate" infiltrators trying to stir up trouble?

• Warlock
    Warlock

I have NEVER seen anyone trying to convert J.W.'s to their religion at ANY convention, not counting "apostates" OUTSIDE, and I don't call that trying to convert.

Warlock

• Emma
    Emma

This happened to my family 10-12 years ago at what was to be my last or next to last assembly. My (then) husband and I arrived with a baby, toddler, and ten year old, and all the gear to get through hours of being away from home. Three "brothers" stopped us and asked where our badges were. I think the ex had them in his brief case - try carrying a baby while wearing a badge. I was beginning to feel frightened and thought we might be turned away from the building. I think my sister showed up about that time and she and her husband were well known. I should have gotten the message right then! Hateful people.

• damselfly
    damselfly

I used to *lose* mne after the first morning session.
    Hhmm where ever could that have gone?

Or I would put it on my waist, used to drive attendants nuts.

I lost count how many times they would stare at my waist and ask why I didn't have it pinned to my lapel. Well, because chicks don't have lapels and I'm tired of men "reading my badge" which is as we all know, code for "nice rack"

Dams

• itsallgoodnow
    itsallgoodnow

makes you wonder what exactly they have going on with the "public". could they be doing this so they can identify who needs a free home bible study? maybe there are rabid pioneers waiting to pounce on the public when they arrive and these gatekeepers are supposed to sort them out?

probably just a bunch of idiots making rules up as they go along.

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere
    Or I would put it on my waist, used to drive attendants nuts.

Mmmmmm...

Watching that badge wiggle and sway... wiggle and sway... wiggle and sway....

• damselfly
    damselfly

<<Watching that badge wiggle and sway... wiggle and sway... wiggle and sway....>>

OMG! That was you?! 8o

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit