• poppers
    poppers

Froglegs
    Beef heart
    Cow's tongue

• GentlyFeral
    GentlyFeral

Hm, I did eat a few odd things as a kid:

• Some friends of my parents brought horsemeat to a beach barbecue once when I was a tiny girl. I remember eating a lot of it.
    • We had escargot (canned) for school lunch one time -- it was an odd semi-private school, :) and the kids were put in charge of getting the meal together.
    • I loved ketchup sandwiches for many years. Now I can't stand to eat ketchup at all.
    • Then I got into fried mushroom sandwiches.
    • When my mother was recovering from a stroke, she craved brain sandwiches, like the ones she used to get in Chicago back in the fifties. My grandma asked around for the recipe and made up a batch. I don't remember either barfing or ever wanting to eat one again.
    • And then there was the year my mother made pfeffernusse - German Christmas cookies flavored with black pepper.

As an adult, I've eaten:

• Cloud ears - a crisp edible fungus used in Chinese cooking
    • Golden Needles - a type of lily flower also used in Chinese cooking
    • Frogs' legs in a nice butter/garlic sauce. They taste like snapper, only tougher.
    • That Loma Linda brand meat substitute that comes in cans - now tell me that isn't weird! I actually liked it, for a while.
    • Oh, and Vita-Burger. It's kind of like finely granulated kibble.
    • And a milk-substitute called Vegelicious. It's made of potatoes, but has a very convincing flavor. Not sure it's available any more.
    • Kefir.
    • Kombucha; some brands are very nice.

No poi or rattlesnake yet, but I've been making a kind of fresh cream cheese/farmer's cheese thing out of whole milk cultured with buttermilk, and I'm looking forward to making my own sauerkraut.

gently feral

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free
    Finally Free

was that ALL in the one meal?????

Pope

No, I'm not that brave. That list took many years to compile. In most cases I knew what I was eating, except for the tripe. It was in an Italian restaurant, and the menu was in Italian. I asked the waiter what several items were, including the tripe. He told me the dish was beef, pasta, tomato sauce, etc. He didn't tell me what part of the beef it was though. It wasn't bad. It tasted good, only the texture was unusual, but not unpleasant. W

• GentlyFeral
    GentlyFeral

SimpleSally,

Anyone eaten Goat??

Not only eaten it, but cooked it. (Mexican groceries often have it.) You have to be a little careful - the fat tastes like lamb fat, which can be nasty. The meat itself, however, is very nice - like pork, but I think it's leaner.

gently feral

• Justice-One
    Justice-One

Some would consider the following odd: Rabbit, Squirrel, Pheasant, Dove, Grouse, Quail, Deer, Moose and Bear. I have ate them all, but I guess the oddest would be Groundhog and White Shark. Of course I have also had frog legs, and standard "farm fare" that tastes great - just don't ask whats in it.

• Kudra
    Kudra

When we were like, 13, my friend and I made our own escargot from garden snails that we fed on cronmeal for a day or two.
    We dropped them into a pot of boiling water to kill em and pop em out of their shells. Then we fried them in oil and spices.
    Tasted like spicy gristle.

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

a Pillbug.

Kudra, that's hilarious. Had you eaten the real thing before trying to make your own?

• lola28
    lola28

I just threw up in my mouth.

Lola

• Warlock
    Warlock

Menudo, if you call that odd. Also beef tongue. Nothing else that I can remember.

Oh, horse meat when I was a kid, because we were cash strapped for quite a few years.

Warlock

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit