What's the oddest thing you have eaten?

by PopeOfEruke 119 Replies latest social physical

• Apostate Kate
    Apostate Kate

Poutine. Fries with cheese (most often cheese curds but many places use Mozzarella) and covered with hot gravy.

Oh now I want one

I was introduced to poutine on a recent trip to BC, then I seen Shania Twain make a vegetarian version on Martha Stewart show. I then tweaked it a bit to make it vegan and it is really yummmmmmmmmyyyyy ...I used a nice low fat soy cheese that melts, mushroom gravy made with low fat veggie broth.

If you roast the fries in the oven with a little olive oil instead of deep frying, it cuts the fat content way down. So it becomes something you could even eat every day!

Now I am salivating

• damselfly
    damselfly

I used to make my poutine with mushroom gravy too, so good.

Dams

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere
    a salty purple plastic bag that just grows and grows in your mouth

Oh my... you're such a naughty little girl!

• damselfly
    damselfly

Way to make me look like a pervert Elsewhere! *scowls*

Dams

• barry
    barry

A twenty day old fertilised egg it nearly made me sick when I was in asia

• Jim_TX
    Jim_TX

Sorry... whan I first read the title to this thread, I thought it said 'oldest' thing. I was going to go to my fridge and check the expiration dates on some of the foods...

*weak grin*

Regards,

Jim TX

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

• EarthMan
    EarthMan

Since moving here six years ago, I have tried many dishes that back home would be considered just plain "wierd".

Here's a list of some of the "delectible edibles" that I've had the privilege of sampling:

Horse (actually pretty good.)
    Chicken hearts (quite tasty)
    Octopus (one of my favorites)
    Squid (a bit chewy, but the smoked variety is very delicious, especially with a cold beer)
    Salmon roe ( not for me.)
    Fugu, or blowfish (very poisonous, but also very yummy. Leaves the lips tingly and a little numb because of the toxins)
    Eel (another fovorite of mine.)
    Sparrow (tastes like chicken.)
    Kani miso -- crab brains served with miso paste (not enough ginger in the WORLD to get rid of that taste.)

There's more, I'm sure, but I just can't remember. Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm off to grab an unagi donburi (grilled eel served with rice) and some takoyaki(deep-fried octopus dumplings). ;)

T.

• daystar
    daystar

LOL! No, he just drew everyone's attention to it!

• greendawn
    greendawn

They gave me some meat to eat and they didn't tell me what it was until later, I couldn't guess correctly then they revealed it was giant turtle, but it was very tasty. That's the most unusual thing I have ever eaten.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit