Has being a Jehova's witness totally shattered your faith?

by Silvia Plath 47 Replies latest jw experiences

• NoMoreMeetings
    NoMoreMeetings

I never lost my faith in God.

I'm now pastor of a New York church.

NMM

• GoingGoingGone
    GoingGoingGone

I'm not sure what I believe anymore.

I left the JWs because I realized that they weren't "God's chosen people" like they claimed to be. Studying early Christianity convinced me that no one else is, either. Deeper study of the Bible has convinced me that it isn't inspired by God.

A year ago, just those simple realizations would have freaked me out. Now, I'm sick of people trying to fit God in a box and saying that God wants you to do this or that..... I still believe that God exists, I think, but if he does, I'm sure he's large enough to encompass all types of worship. If he had one certian way he wanted to be worshipped, he would have made it obvious.

For now, I just try to live my life as a good person, love my family, and hope for the best.

GGG

• HappyDad
    HappyDad

Silvia................

To answer your question.................NO. My faith is greater today than the 30+ years I spent in the borg.

And...........not to put you down................but in your posts...............you constantly do not know how to spell the name.....JEHOVAH.

Not sure how long you studied or how much you learned about the religion..........but please.............even if you don't care for the religion..........as the majority of us on this forum don't care for the religion.............learn how to spell the biblical name of God as it appeared in the old testament.

So............I will probably get some flack over this..........but to those who might do it...............maybe you need to learn to spell also.

HappyDad of the X JEHOVAH'S (NOTE.........there is an H after the letter a in Jehova) Witness class.

• tfsm
    tfsm

"i feel that there are answers.." Where are these answers? Science? The bible? My gut feeling even as a child, was that we all die alone, we are not very different from monkeys, and that our birth and death is just part of the cycle of life. There is no god, at least one that cares or that we can comprehend. I mean, does your dog or cat "understand" where his/her food comes from?

• caligirl
    caligirl

For a time, yes it did. It took me many years to sort it all out. In some ways, I feel I am still sorting, but I do have a faith in a higher being back again. Just not entirely sure what that is at this point.

• foundfreedom
    foundfreedom

No not shattered but it has made me stop and think about what I do believe in.

I´m not sure where my journey will lead me. To a certain extend, I would like to know that. But at the other hand, why would I. There are chances, opportunities in every period of life. You just need to recognize them and make use of them.

Thanks Borgia for this thought.

• Nowman
    Nowman

Yes and I am OK with that. I consider myself an agnostic. Sometimes, I have discussions with my husband that lead me towards evolution, but what always come back to is pregnancy. How could that whole process have happened by chance? Therefore, I really do not know. But, I ve said this before, I do not need to have all my questions answered.

• apfergus
    apfergus

My faith was shattered, but I don't think it was by the Watchtower. I still clung to a lot of the crap I learned from my years in the ranks for a very long time after I left. The straw that finally broke the camel's back was a stack of Stephen J. Gould books and a university course in evolutionary biology. Science and the scientific method has brought me more than anything any religion ever has.

• jojochan
    jojochan

Only in "organized"religion.

jojochan.

• Arthur
    Arthur
    A year ago, just those simple realizations would have freaked me out. Now, I'm sick of people trying to fit God in a box and saying that God wants you to do this or that..... I still believe that God exists, I think, but if he does, I'm sure he's large enough to encompass all types of worship. If he had one certian way he wanted to be worshipped, he would have made it obvious.

I like what GoingGoingGone wrote. I totally relate. Even while I was a Witness, I seriously questioned much of the Old Testament and found much of it to be rather silly (Garden of Eden, Samson, global flood, talking donkees, etc.) I just couldn't understand how the omnipotent power of the universe would have so many weak human characteristics as jealousy, insecurity, wrath, and obsession with trivial rituals and sacrafices. I still believe in God and I pray. But, I have a lot of cynicism when it comes to religion in general.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit