Has being a Jehova's witness totally shattered your faith?

by Silvia Plath 47 Replies latest jw experiences

• YoungAmerican
    YoungAmerican

First time posting but I've been a long time reader here. Anyway, I was just wondering if anyone else has the same problem that I do. I was born and raised "in the borg" as so many of you have put it so well. I was DF'd at 17 for having sex with a worldly boy (my boyfriend) and promptly left home and never came back. Because of the shunning by my family, after being out for about 10 years, I did everything I was suppose to and was reinstated. After about 3 years, I couldn't keep up the cherade any more and faded quietly away and have been out for about 7 or 8 yrs. Anyway to get to the point.

Since I was taught only the WT BS I still feel very unsure what really is the truth. I sometimes think that it is the truth but I just wasn't cut out to do it and will take whatever is coming to me at armmaggodon. I just can't seem to do anything but just hope that it really isn't the truth and if it isn't what really is????

• serendipity
    serendipity

HI young american & welcome!

IMO, finding your *truth* has to be part of your spiritual journey. Read, meditate, pray and develop a spiritual practice that makes sense for you.

• whatistruth
    whatistruth

I think it really has.

• riverofdeceit
    riverofdeceit

I was raised as a jw and never had faith to begin with. I was told it was true and didn't see why someone would lie about it, like when a teacher tells you that no two snowflakes are alike and you believe it just because they say it and they are a teacher so they should know. JW's are no more guilty of lying about having the truth than any other religion is guilty of lying about having the truth(at least any religion that claims to have it is guilty). My issue with them specifically is not their intrepretations of the bible (based upon fictional accounts anyhow) but the implementation of their doctrines, and the destructive force they have on many peoples lives.

• Quandry
    Quandry

I am so confused I don't even know how to answer that question. My family was blind-sided by some hateful elders. Very harsh. Until then, was model JW. It was only after bad treatment that I looked on the internet. Figured if my family had been treated so badly others had, also. Typed in Jehovah's Witnesses and Abuse. As you know, that's all one has to do. The disillusionment was immediate.

On the other hand, I was another religion more than thirty years ago when I became a JW. Of course, the indoctrination is so complete that all other religions are in league with Satan, how does one pick one to join now?

I definetely believe in God. I feel that Jesus died for all mankind. He showed such sympathy to even diseased shunned lepers. Who could not admire him even if they did not feel that he was God's son?

Yes, my faith was shattered in that I do not know what to do at this point. And it has sent me into deep depression. I feel sometimes that I am living in the village of the damned. That I have no hope along with every other poster on this forum. (sorry to those of you who seem happier in your non-belief) Yet, what do I do? I cannot go back after knowing what I know now.

No wonder they do everything in their power to keep people from looking........

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

Still believe in God. Not sure about anything else *bible, Jesus, Chrisitianity*. Never thought I'd get to that point, but here I am.

• poppers
    poppers

"Yes, my faith was shattered in that I do not know what to do at this point. And it has sent me into deep depression. I feel sometimes that I am living in the village of the damned. That I have no hope along with every other poster on this forum. (sorry to those of you who seem happier in your non-belief) Yet, what do I do? I cannot go back after knowing what I know now."
    My heart goes out to you Quandry. But, now you are ripe to dive deeply into something greater than what any belief can provide: The essence of what you really are. Beneath all of your depression and beneath all of your disillusionment there is the simple pristine clarity of what you actually are, and this trumps anything that others will promise through following a set of beliefs, through the practice of any ritual, or through the adoption of some philosophy. Be still and just rest - let there be the watching of thoughts, emotions, sensations and events. What you really are is that which sees/feels everything which arises. Return to the simple seeing/hearing/touching/tasting/feeling of everything again and again and at some point the presence of what you are becomes crystal clear. Notice when judgment arises and watch that too. There is great peace here, and it's available for you right now in this very moment.
    poppers

• Hamboozled
    Hamboozled

My wife and I just left recently so we are not in a rush to jump back into another religion. Has it shattered my faith? No. No way at all. It has made me a stronger person and taught me a lot of things in life and for that I am thankful. My wife and I have decided to keep our faith and studies on a personal level at home for a while. Once we let some time pass we may entertain and look at some other religions, but for now. The wife, me, the children, and GOD. After being in it for almost 35 years I should have my faith shattered, but when I look at my wife, my children, and the good things in this world I know there is a loving God.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit