Has being a Jehova's witness totally shattered your faith?

by Silvia Plath 47 Replies latest jw experiences

• itsallgoodnow
    itsallgoodnow

"Shattered my faith" is a negative way of spinning something I feel is actually a more positive thing. My experiences with JWs broke my trust in religious authority, and in other types of authority, too, but what I got out of it was a good understanding of how people manipulate you and screw you over, and how to see it coming before you get caught up in it. It's actually a great feeling to be able to look at everything and make my own decisions based on whether I think evidence of something is solid or shaky.

Some people see it as... some exJW's who become atheists are just too angry or hurt to accept god.

I see it as... some exJW's don't really allow themselves to question everything. They have set a limit on their questioning which they don't feel comfortable going past.

• FairMind
    FairMind

I needed to stop being a dupe and put a lot more faith in my own brain and thinking ability

The above says a lot!

Having my eyes opened to the truth about the WTS and its’ methods of controlling its members has not diminished my faith in God at all. I still accept many of the WTS’ views or explanations of what the Bible teaches but do not feel compelled in the least to accept it all. You echo my thoughts with regard to our faith must be in God and not men or an organization (or course since I’m still a JW I keep this opinion to myself and a few select others). The WTS as well as all other religious organizations are accountable to God for what they teach, so I don’t worry about justice being eventually served.

• Grog
    Grog

At first I just drifted away from it all and didn't really care about theology etc... but once my family has become more immersed in it I've actually read more of the bible and thought about it.. and I have to say that the bible isn't for me. I think its just early mans myths and stories put into a book. I guess I'm not to sure what to think about god and it all but I can say that nothign I've seen yet really gets my attention. All of christianity puts a foul taste in my mouth and from what I've seen most organized religions have either the "with us or against us" motto which I abhor. So after thinking about it... I would have to say that my "faith" was shattered by being a witness. But I don't think thats a bad thing in my case.. more people need that expierence.

• Rabbit
    Rabbit

itsallgoodnow

Shattered my faith" is a negative way of spinning something I feel is actually a more positive thing. My experiences with JWs broke my trust in religious authority, and in other types of authority, too, but what I got out of it was a good understanding of how people manipulate you and screw you over, and how to see it coming before you get caught up in it. It's actually a great feeling to be able to look at everything and make my own decisions based on whether I think evidence of something is solid or shaky.

That's kinda the way I feel now. When my blind faith finally could 'see' again, I saw the WTS for what they truly are -- a very successful and dangerous mind-control cult. During the time my family was breaking up, after my slow spiritual decay, due to my questioning Wt 'things', my JW Mom died needlessly, because of the blood doctrine. For me, that was the 'straw that broke' the mental hold the WT had over me.

Since then, I lost my JW wife, my kids & relatives shun me. How can I not associate all of these bad things happening with the Bible or religion in general...when all these things were "done in the name of God ?"

I fully understand that JW's, Mormons, the Jonestown followers and others may be an aberration among the worlds different faiths. But, once I "woke up" to the WT's tricks...I looked around and saw a startlingly clear pattern...in all supernatural belief systems: Control, control, control...many, many different small groups of leaders all telling the masses "what God requires of them". Once someone has that 'blind faith' in the leaders (that have the ear of their gods) they will pretty much do what they are told. They will tell you 'how' to have sex, how to vote (or not), how to talk, work, sleep, raise your kids, how to live and how to die.

I am not saying that religion does no good. But, the bad that is done, imo, far outweighs the good charitable works they do.

There is only proof of man's wisdom "in things that are written." "God" is a construct of the human mind...a way to explain what we don't understand. I no longer need a supernatural God to tell me what to do, especially since there is no evidence of "It's" care or intervention in mankind's affairs.

Having said that, I realize I could be wrong about everything. I just know I am a much happier person without religion. I think I'll be a better human, because I no longer believe I have a "second" chance. Although I felt bad at first, without that 'backup plan', I know that whatever I am going to accomplish in my life will have to happen in the next 20 - 30 years. Yep, a real deadline.

I don't want this to be all there is, but, I am just tickled to have been here. I seen beautiful things, tasted & smelled wonderful food and odors, I've loved other humans and have had that love returned, I've helped create children. If I die tonite...it's been good. I can die peacefully knowing I mattered.

That's enough for me. Really !

Rabbit

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

It did at first. I've slowly found it again. Through books on near death experiences written by doctors and books written by grief counselors, etc. And now through the church of my youth, The Episcopal Church. I'm still unconventional, just as I was a child growing up in the church. But in the Episcopal Church, that's just fine, they don't try to be your conscience or tell you exactly how you should believe. All are welcomed there and they won't try to force their beliefs down your throat. The opposite of the WT society really. Much more loving and tolerant.

Hey, Rabbit! Good to see you here.

• eddie c
    eddie c

No,not in the least.

For me,...i have never doubted God......i only have to look at the sky to realise that there is a god......To understand his purpose i only have to look at the bible......and while there are many questions...i feel that there are answers..

• freetosee
    freetosee

No, definitely not. I left the JW’s because I wanted to serve God and not the elders. In this process I started reading the bible by itself which turned me away from the bible God, Jehovah or Jesus. Today I don’t say there is no God, but even if there is one I have no interest in worshiping him.

I see the JW faith as money-making-authoritarian-cult which uses religion, fear of death and loneliness to trap new members.

• Balsam
    Balsam

Yes I lost my faith in the Divine for a while and was an atheist. Then in time as I healed from my wounds I realized that the WTS is just an organization of men like many other religions and they had nothing to do with my spirituality.

I started praying again for the Divine guildance, and continue to consider myself a person of faith, though that faith has undergone some serious adjusting over the years. I've been out of the JW's for 5 years this month.

• PopeOfEruke
    PopeOfEruke

No faith or belief in God anymore whatsoever. The JW's do a good job of destroying people's spirituality.

Now I just believe in Johnny Cash and Bob Dylan.

Pope

• serendipity
    serendipity

Abusive elders undermined my faith in God and in the org. When my faith in the org was demolished by changes in the generation teaching and especially changes in the blood policy, then things I read on the internet, my faith in God started to gain more traction. Like others, I don't feel I have to have all the answers. I don't feel a need to reconcile the "vengeful" God of the OT with the love Jesus preached in the NT. I don't understand it, but that's ok. It's enough work to love my neighbor and reflect the fruitages of the spirit.

That's where I am today. I'm doing a bit of reading to expose myself to other ideas. I don't know where my spiritual wanderings will take me, but I'm trying to enjoy the journey even if I never reach a destination.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit