Why do the majority of "newbies" disappear ???

by kid-A 74 Replies latest jw friends

• sf
    sf

What I try to keep in mind while actually deciding to submit a post to a topical thread or creat my own thread, is that there are many more lurkers who are reading and never have and most likely, never will, post.

I try not to feed trolls. I feel strongly that totally starving them is the best way to deflate the energy they need in order to "feed".

When I review the membership list and see the ones who rarely post, I am assured somewhat, that they are at least reading and staying well informed and well armed with critical information, documents and support.

Remember too how your stories and such DO help more people than you may realize.

And for those who are lurking, seeking and hoping, we will still be here for you when you are ready to emerge.

Trust me, "time heals everything, but I"m still waiting" {Dixie Chix} too.

sKally

• bebu
    bebu

I think newbies are mostly reading, since there's SO MUCH TO READ, and then they still feel overwhelmed at the prospect of joining in! I remember being utterly fascinated with the conversations and personalities on the board before I joined up. I was intimidated, especially since I have never been a JW and felt that perhaps I would incur a bit of wrath for daring to enter some inner sanctum of sorts. There were a lot of heavy debates going on, and there were also a lot of people who seemed like old friends. I wasn't interested in hot-n-heavy debates (and getting blown up even by shrapnel), and I could hardly assume I was somebody's 'old friend' on here. It was the kind and thoughtful posters who made it feel safe for me to try. (And those debaters don't seem so tuff anymore to me now, either, lol.) * It took me a long while to finally just slide in quietly. Nobody seemed to notice, either... and so obviously, nobody threw me out! Too late now!! Can't toss out an emperor!

Newbies: You might look upon posting as a way to practice being real, or being brave, especially if you are convicted that you need practice in those areas. "Old friends" are being developed in the very threads we write together today, so invest in a few posts, share your comments, and let us get to know you a bit. Get a nice/memorable avatar and people will make an even better connection to you, I think.

We won't bite. (...Hard. lol)

bebu

*I joined because I have a JW neighbor--an ex-neighbor now--who seemed to think normally until it came to JW doctrines. At that point, all logic went out the window! I wanted to understand why all the JWs I'd ever known were such robots. And found a board bouncing with interesting people who used to be robots. I needed to know how it happened.

• reneef
    reneef

I read here frequently but I don't have anything to say. I am just educating myself. Also, I got on some psycho jw site where psychos were printing the real names of ex-jws because they were losing an argument. I am carefully fading. I don't want anything stirred up in my family.

• bikerchic
    bikerchic

It's nice to see so many newbies and welcome to you all!

flag:

read here almost every day but i was assigned such a difficult password that I feel lazy to log in.

Is there a way to change it?

You can change your password to an easier one by clicking onto "Profile" under your member name up in the left corner. I hope that helps.
  • FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

Ivy Walker, please come back and post here. Your English is delightful. Please share more about German xjw's.

• Iforget
    Iforget

I check this site more often then not. Sometimes more then others depending on how hard my family is trying to get me to do something with the "truth".

I have been watching to see when the article in the next Awake or Watchtower is about faders and how the society is going to try to attack us next. So many here have the resources and ability to keep us up to date about what is going on that it makes the arguments with the family easier. Sometimes I quote Blondie word for word! :)

There is a group of you that know each other well and that can be overwhelming at times. I had an issue some time ago with a regular poster where I took issue with the deroggatory useage of a word. I was blasted in a way only a JW could do. An argument ensuded that reminded me that no matter how far we come away from it sometimes the "training" we have had to sell their magazines and to argue, no matter how ugly, wrong or misguided it is, it's deeply seeded in us to be "right". I came away from it realizing that I need to be more mindful that I don't react and become defensive just as I did when I was going door to door.

• tremoka
    tremoka
    I read here almost every day but i was assigned such a difficult password that I feel lazy to log in. Is there a way to change it?

Hello Flag! This was the first thing I did when I registered. The password was crazy!!!!! 1. Top left corner of your screen, beneath your user name click on profile. 2. Type in a simple new password in both the password box and confirm box. 3. Click update. That's all I did!

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan

For those of us that have been around awhile and continue to post, I think that we've just found this place to be a nice hangout spot. But for some people, maybe social-interaction doesn't figure prominently in how they use the internet. There's so much out there on the internet that it's possible for every user of it to have their own style. My style has become Yahoo and JWD and Amazon, so I'm pretty bland in my internet usage really, lol.

• wednesday
    wednesday

I've been posting now for 4 years, and have seen so many come and go. Some went to other boards, and like them better. I have posted on other boards, but , when push comes to shove, I prefer a somewhat moderated board b/.c I dont' like being attacked. I do not mind a good debate, but the silly name calling is so childish. The board is very calm compared to 4 yrs ago. If the search function works look at my first topic, I was nearly eaten alive. The good ole days (not )

I find this to be the safest place for a new xjws to post.

• moshe
    moshe

I have a special interest forum that is read by many, but the majority treat it like a newspaper and can't even manage to give a thank you for the helpful info they get. I have come to the conclusion that it is a special person who can compose a meaningful paragraph. Perhaps only 1/1,000 can do this and maybe only 1/10,000 can ever have an original idea. The regulars on JWD are as good as fire-brewed beer. That reminds me, I'm thirsty. peace, Moshe

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit