Why do the majority of "newbies" disappear ???

by kid-A 74 Replies latest jw friends

• kid-A
    kid-A

I have noticed that, in general, there is a "core" of regular posters on JWD that have been members for several years.

However, it seems the vast majority of "newbies" disappear after a couple posts, days or perhaps a week. How many "welcome" or "introduction"

threads have we had here where the new member disappears within a day or so, never to post again? I can even recall several dozen "welcome"

threads for "members" that in fact, never even posted !!! LOL. I'm not talking about the obvious trolls or loonies, but just regular folks who post 1-5

times and disappear into the mists of cyberspace, never to heard from again. A scroll through the "member" list will reveal hundreds of such posters.

Whats your take? Do we scare them? Is the initial cognitive dissonance too much to handle for the majority of ex-JW newbies here on the board?

Are we just too damn boring??? LOL

• hartstrings
    hartstrings

When I first joined, I introduced myself, but was very scared and paranoid about posting. Paranoia is part of being a JW. It takes a long time to break that. Anyway, I'm sure they are lurking and that is okay. I think that maybe some day when they have gone through the various grieving stages, they will be back.

• Nowman
    Nowman

I m a newbie and I have not disappeared yet. I do not particularly post alot, I really spend most of the time here reaading the posts/correspondance and when I find a topic I can relate too or I feel I have a good comment, then I post. Because I have been DFd for 14 years now, I have no problem posting without worry that someone I know thats still a JW will read it, really do not see any of them anymore (except my neighbors that I grew up with, they know I m DFd, they say HI when in passing). Yet, so many are really careful about posting or the newbies do not continue to post because of gulit? You how being in the org can make your crazy with gulit (I should say for most). When I 1st discovered this sight, it was very exciting for me, I am glad to come here and learn so much, still getting to know everyone's style (for those who post regularly).

Nikki

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free
    Are we just too damn boring??? LOL

That's got to be it. Or maybe they're getting over it faster than the rest of us.

Or perhaps they're coming to their senses and going back to Jehovah's resplendent organization.

W

• happy1975
    happy1975

Hi Kid-A,

I guess I fit into the category that you describe. I'm here nearly every day and I read lots, but even on the internet I'm not a very social person because I seldom post. I still find this forum to be a huge support to me - my experiences with the org have been similar to so many others.

-Happy

• BlackSwan of Memphis
    BlackSwan of Memphis

I think many probably are just reading and trying to get a good feel for the board.

As others have said paranoia might have something to do with it. We have already seen where there are times a poster might say too much and then comes the po knocking on his door. Newbies reading the stories might get a little concerned, especially if they aren't outted yet.

I guess it's up to the posters who've been here for some time to keep the conversation going.

BSoM

• Crumpet
    Crumpet
    Or perhaps they're coming to their senses and going back to Jehovah's resplendent organization.

W

snorting with laughter - finallyfree!

When I joined I didnt post for months because my first visit to the board put me off - people seemed quite feisty and seemed to be arguing with some guy so I posted elsewhere and forgot I had joined. Then I returned on a better day and found some old friends and the rest is history!

• kid-A
    kid-A

Hi Kid-A,

I guess I fit into the category that you describe.

Hey happy, well you are already past the 30 post mark, so keep it coming!

• Life Is Grand
    Life Is Grand

I agree with Nowman.

I read the posts daily, but I only comment when I think I have something worthwhile to say, or when something is particularly relative to my own personal situations.(Plus, I'm afraid I'll become one of those people that kills threads-can't have that)

LIG

• Beta Male
    Beta Male

If theyve read many old posts before actually joining, they may feel they have nothing particularly valuable to add, feeling that others said it better already. Or guilt takes over as they have yet to fully break the bonds. OR-theyre chicken-s***ts.

I was never welcomed btw, but i thrive on indiference.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit