How many ex-jws move out of town to start over?

by rebel8 54 Replies latest jw friends

• DannyHaszard
    DannyHaszard

This is a BIG happening with jw's AA alcoholics anonymous calls it the geography cure and they say where ever you go there you are.

Yes they expect that changes in latitudes will bring changes in attitudes

Remember Dorothy there is no place like home.

Do not move to Florida!

( when i was dfed from the Rockland Massachusetts cong they actually expected me to leave town for them screw U )

• Fleshybirdfodder
    Fleshybirdfodder

I can understand Danny Haszards view, but for me it was the best idea to move. Just couldn't handle bumping into them and their feigned concern, if they even acknowledged me at all. I was fortunate because I had friends in the city I live in now that totally supported me emotionally. I couldn't imagine staying there, but I never really considered it "home" in the first place. Just somewhere I had to live a double life for a while until I found a community of real people to trust. So I guess it depends what and where you consider "home".

All the best,

FBF

• target
    target

We moved several states away and faded at the same time. It was great to never be running into any jws we knew. The probem was the ones from where we came from that were planning to visit. That was about the time the UN thing happened and I mentioned it to them and lo and behold, they all dumped me like a hot tater None have contacted me since. Got to love it !

Target

• BritBoy
    BritBoy
    I was wondering how common it is for ex-jws to relocate after leaving the borg in order to escape the bad memories of being in a cult.....

Christ, I moved continents!!

• fullofdoubtnow
    fullofdoubtnow

I just moved in with my ex jw boyfriend. We are in the same town, and I doubt we'd move anywhere else, but neither of us has any family in the org, so we don't get bothered anyway.

I propose a resolution to the forum that we cease capitalizing "jw" because it gives undue respect to an organization that doesn't deserve it.Anyone ready to second the motion?)

I second the motion. I never capitalise "jw" anyway now.

• eddie c
    eddie c

After my wife and i left the Watchtower we experienced the usual shunning.

Witnesses would walk out of a shop if we entered. We were often shunned on the street as there were many witnesses who lived nearby.

I loved it as i would always say hello and smile at them.My wife found it much very upsetting.So we moved about ten mile away.

It was the best thing we could have done.We made new friends,found a great church, and our kids did not have to suffer when they saw thier old friends being pulled away from them by thier parents.

I still work in the same area and even now some 22 years later i am still shunned.

• MsShockJock
    MsShockJock

I would love to move. I hate running into jw's around town not knowing whether they will speak to me or snub me. My only fear is that I will move to a new town and my new home will be right next to a zealous jw family who have book study at their home and meet there for Saturday service. What a nightmare that would be. Then I'd have to move again!

Speaking of nightmares. Does anybody still have dreams about the witnesses? If so, how do you get them to stop.

• Fleshybirdfodder
    Fleshybirdfodder
    Does anybody still have dreams about the witnesses? If so, how do you get them to stop.

Being part of this forum is a great start. I still have dreams about armageddon and judgements from family members and witnesses. They have been dissolving slowly but surely over the last few years, but I know they will always be there. They are a part of me. How I choose to deal with them is up to me. Finding a community outside of cult thinking will help to get an objective viewpoint (something we were not allowed). It's actually fun to disagree when you know someone isn't going to leave you because they are terrified of the big A or they're just intellectually lazy. Keep looking. You'll find them out there. There are a lot of great people in this world.

FBF

• Stealth453
    Stealth453

I sold everything I had, packed up my family and moved 13,000 miles to get away from the crap.

Best move I ever made.

• confusedjw
    confusedjw

2 out of 11 actually do, and 9 out of 11 want to.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit