The cruelty against me can be classified as fair or unfair?

by ann in Texas 28 Replies latest jw friends

• ann in Texas
    ann in Texas

Hi. First excuse my spelling throughout this piece.This issue has a lot of back history that is needed to understand it, so please bear with the long summary.

I am currently still a jehovah witness, on paper; I have not attended a meeting for over 6 months. I was reproved about 7 months ago. Why? Because I questioned their actions, and I had influence over others. Atleast that is what I feel is the truthful explanation.

Over a year ago, i was engaged to a "brother" in the congregation. He was a ministerial servant. We started off as one of those "all around" couples in the congregation. Always out in field service and always active. Yet, about a year ago, he was wrongfully accused and arrested for robbery. Any way, the elders in the congregation treated him as though they had seen him commit a crime. They did not believe him when he said he was innocent, and they eventually told him he was going to be disfellowshipped. He tried to have it appealed. Yet, the elders monopolize everything and cast the vote against him. Because many people believed my fiance and they knew he was not the kind of individual who would do something like that, the elders grew vengeful with my fiance. Ever since then, the elders have carried a grudge against him and me. They are against me because I stood up for him and they know that while I do not admit it, I most certainly still do. The elders tried to break up the engagement and as much as they have been led to believe, we are no longer together. Because I did not willfullly break up my engagement, I was reproved. The only reason I was not disfellowshipped was because I lied and told them I was not with him anymore.

Yet the elders were still very rude.When my parents would leave the house and I was by myself, they would approach me and tell me that my fiance was a liar and that if I stayed with him it meant I was an accomplous. I knew my fiance was innocent; therefore, I did not believe them. The elders peak into the windows of my car looing for visible evidence that I am still with him. They have searched through my mail looking for phone bills to check if I still talk to him over the phone. They insulted me to the point that I quit going to the meetings. I can not remember the last time I prayed.

Back in February, my fiance was exonerated of all charges. He was proved innocent in court. When he approached the elders and showed them the letter stating he was innocent, they said that it did not matter what the court said, but what they thought.

How fair is that?! That was the last straw. I have never been known to quit. I don't like the way it feels to quit. But is there a time when enough is enough? My life has been put on hold ever since and I dont know which way to get out of the rut I am currently in. Do I disassociate myself? Do I go get married to him and let them disfellowship me? Do I wait till he is reinstated for us to get married and then never attend afterwards? The only reason for the last option is because both of our families are jehovah witnesses.

On a personal note:

I use to think there was nothing that the elders could have done that was ever bad. I originally thought they were so loving and that they actually cared. I was very wrong. I am not angry with them. I am just really hurt and I dont know how to forgive them. Is it even possible?

I cannot speak of anyone around here. I will be called an apostate. But comments and opinions are very welcomed.

Thank you.

• fullofdoubtnow
    fullofdoubtnow

Hi Ann and welcome to the board.

I used to think the elders at my kh were pretty hardline, but they are pussycats compared to yours. You don't mention how your fiance feels about all this. Is he seeking reinstatement, or is he content to stay out? I feel that, whatever you decide to do, the two of you need to be united on this. If you both want to go back, then go for reinstatement, if not, then just get married and let the elders do what they will. Whatever you decide, I hope you both find happiness.

I would think, after what has happened, it would be very hard to go back to that congregation anyway. I know if it were me, I would have a hard time trusting the elders again after what has gone before.

• Dansk
    Dansk

A Great BIG welcome, Ann!

While you probably thought you were all on your own when you were going through all your trauma believe me when I say thousands here can identify with your plight!

This is quite amazing:

The elders peak into the windows of my car looing for visible evidence that I am still with him. They have searched through my mail looking for phone bills to check if I still talk to him over the phone.

How could the elders check through your mail unless you or your parents allowed them? Assuming you didn't, then your parents have a lot to answer for. The elders have certainly exceeded their "authority" and your post proves that many elders are there purely for the position.

You have no reason to contact the elders at all. You don't owe them a thing! I realise that you still have family in and you don't want to upset them but you cannot be tied to a heinous organisation by emotional blackmail. Walk away and never look back. If the elders wish to talk to you ignore them. If you meet with them they will feel they have authority over you - which they don't! Take the power back by leading the life you want to lead.

Stick around Ann and read many of the posts here. You'll realise that you are in good company and amongst real friends. You'll also receive some sound advice.

Wishing you much success,

Ian

• crazyblondeb
    crazyblondeb

Ann in texas,

If you are in texas, I'm envious. I moved from there several months ago. But, welcome to the board. I'm sorry for what you have had to endure. I've had lots of dealings with the elders. I've found, like you, it doesn't matter what the truth is. It's what they decree. It's not fair. But it's "their world according to the opinions of the local elders."

Does he really want to be reinstated after all this? My personal opinion is screw them. The best way to get ahead of them is to be happy.

blessed be

shelley

• Wasanelder Once
    Wasanelder Once

Ann,

You have already detailed your choices. If you want family contact, (and that's not gauranteed) you will have to wait till he's reinstated and then marry and fade. If you dont believe any of it and don't care if you spend time with your family ever again, just DA yourself.

I would discuss this with your DF'd, exonerated boyfriend.

Turn the elders into the postoffice for tampering with you mail.

W.Once

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

Welcome Ann, it is nice to have you on board.

I have never been known to quit. I don't like the way it feels to quit. But is there a time when enough is enough?

You are not a quitter, the opposite in fact. Researching and finding that the WTS manipulates individuals through lies takes a lot of courage, and moving on takes even more. You will look back in time and be proud at how strong you have been through such incredibly tough times.

Over time you can decide whether to fade, d/a or wait and be d/f. It really does not make any difference. You will be shunned either way and treated like dirt by JWs, even as a fader. Now it is better to concentrate on how you want to live the rest of your life, and what is going to make you happy.

I have known several people to marry disfellowshipped people and not get d/f, so you probably can get away with marrying him. You did not mention if your boyfriend thinks it still is the truth. It will be difficult if he thinks it is and you don't. If both of you no longer believe the WTS is Gods organisation staying by your boyfriend is a good option, as leaving is far easier if there is someone to support you through all the difficult times ahead.

• ringo5
    ringo5

Hi Ann. I'm sorry to hear you're in a tough spot right now, but the more stories I read here the less I'm suprised by them. I'm assuming that your fiance did get disfellowshipped and he sought for an appeal but was refused. There are further ways to get these things appealed, but before you and your fiance attempt that, there are a few questions you would do well to consider:

First off I'm a bit biased, as I feel most emotionally mature people would do much better away from the Witness culture, and I feel that God has nothing whatsoever to do with this organisation either (but it can take a while to come to this conclusion too) That said,

1. How do both your families feel about these proceedings? Do they feel the elders made the right call? Or is there also some resentment with how you and your fiance were treated? If yes, that would make any decision to fade that much easier...

2. Are you really sure of your feelings toward your fiance? The reason I ask, with all the turmoil surrounding you right now, perhaps it would be best to at least put on hold any marriage plans for now, so as to make sure of your own feelings (as the paramount issue), so as to not end up rushing into a marriage with too many unresolved issues.

I know it may feel like putting your life on hold, but there are still lots of things you can do with your life besides getting married and being a dutiful witness wife. Maybe one day you'll even thank those elders for freeing you from a life unlived :)

• ann in Texas
    ann in Texas

Currently, my fiance is also in limbo. He does not want to be there personally, but his family is there. That is what is holding him back. Other than that, he has no desire to be there. Pretty much, we are at a stand still because of a lack of "decisiveness". He is also very upset with the elders. More upset than i am. He actually moved away from the town after it all happened. I am glad he is happy gone, but sad for me because we grew up together, over twenty years to be exact!

About the whole mail issue with the elders. They are my neighbors. If I leave my blinds open they can see right into my room and vice versa. That is why it is so easy for htem to watch me. Plus, there is the fact that we belong to a community mailbox. So all mail is sent to the same area, which makes it a whole lot easier for them.

Parents: They support us either way. Either way they will be there at the wedding. It is just the fact that they continue to make comments that hurt. They believe that Jehovah will act when the time is right. WHen that will be, I have no idea.

• magoo
    magoo

welcome ann in texas

.................isn't it ironic how they seem to do everything possible to protect the "accused" pedophile, you know the 2 witness thing.....but when your soon to be was "wrongly" accused before a legal trial proved he was innocent of all charges they had allready tried, found guilty & convicted him..........kicked his ass out!!!

........and the 2 of you want to spend the rest of your life with these kind of spiritual leaders..............

magoo

• caligirl
    caligirl

Completely intrusive and out of line, in my opinion and from what you said here. Get a PO box to protect your privacy, or better yet, move. Yikes on them being able to stare right into your house!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit