Cannabis vs Alchohol and Other Man Made Pharmacuticals

by OpenFireGlass 145 Replies latest jw friends

• gumby
    gumby
    ask anyone's who's developed a serious drink habit and they will often quote around 2 year recovery period, not 12 hours.

A two year recovery period seems it would make one an alcoholic. Alcoholics will always be alcoholics even if they are dry. It never goes away . The two year recovery period can be a nightmare for many.

With weed there is no physical symptoms as this and one is not always a stoner even if they are not using it. Also with weed, a daily user may oneday decide he doesn't like it anymore and ceases to use it....I've known many that say..."they just don't like it anymore"....however a daily user of booze in vast quanities over a period of say 10 years doesn't usually just quit.......without some serious side effects and their reasons for quiting are 90% of the time for a different reason than a pothead. Usually a drinker quits because of the problems it has caused them and a pot head.....just don't like it anymore.

This isn't to say those who quit weed didn't do so because of problems. It could be they have kids now or their job doesn't allow for it, or they now seem to get paranoid and it didn't used to affect them that way.

Gumby.....who's thankful he's never had a drinking problem and feels for those who do as it's a rough road.

• Robdar
    Robdar

Now The Moral issue... who is more likely to beat the shit out of their kids? A drunk person, of a person under the influence of cannabis?

Sure, most stoners don't beat the shit out of their kids. They just get stoned and ignore them. I don't think that a parent who smokes cannabis is morally superior to a parent that drinks. Both are harming and neglecting their children.

I used to be for the legalization of mj until a former hippie friend pointed out all the problems that we have with alcohol. I can't help but believe that there would be problems with legalized pot too. Now if they were to control it as well as legalize it, it might be different. But considering how well alcohol is controlled, I have my doubts.

• OpenFireGlass
    OpenFireGlass
    I don't think that a parent who smokes cannabis is morally superior to a parent that drinks.

Thank you for pointing out my own personal predjudice on the moral example I gave...

Do you have an opinion on medical uses of cannabis vs, pharmacuticals?

• Robdar
    Robdar

Do you have an opinion on medical uses of cannabis vs, pharmacuticals?

Hey, thanks for asking!

I'm all for it. Especially for cancer patients. But I do think that cannabis can be harmful to some ailments. Seizures come to mind. I know that some people say that cannabis helps their seizures but other say that it can exacerbate their symptoms. We should definitely do more studies and not rule it out.

I like smoking weed even though I'm not doing it at this time. If we could find a way to control it, I wouldn't mind it being legal. I wouldn't mind most street drugs being legal--but again, only if we could control them.

• OpenFireGlass
    OpenFireGlass
    But I do think that cannabis can be harmful to some ailments.

for me it doesn't work for headaches... If I get a headache, the last thing I want to do is smoke... That's the one instance where I take Advil or Excedrine..

If we could find a way to control it, I wouldn't mind it being legal.

I can see your point here... but I must also point out that we really need to educate people properly... quit feeding them all this propaganda that lumps everything into one?

,Mike

• Robdar
    Robdar

I can see your point here... but I must also point out that we really need to educate people properly... quit feeding them all this propaganda that lumps everything into one?
    Totally agree with you Mike. Educate the public and help them overcome their fears. We also need to reform sentencing for "offenders". It's a crying shame that possession of cannabis is considered a felony in most states. It's also a shame the way the federal government is sticking its nose into California's business. Seems to me it ought to come down to state law and states' rights. How is the battle going in CA? Robyn

• OpenFireGlass
    OpenFireGlass
    How is the battle going in CA?

Up in my neck of the woods(Humboldt County) it's going very well... It's always been more/less socially acceptabe up here even before the medical laws were changed for the better... almost every other day there's an article in the paper that mentions the police NOT confiscating an individules cannabis... and about 3 times a year there's a front page article with a big picture of a mature bud...

Also our comunity radio covers the subject religiously.. here's a link... free streaming audio, program schedule, etc...

http://kmud.org/

• rebel8
    rebel8

Well since you brought it up (again).....

If you want to use drug(s), that is your choice........but I don't understand this mission you're on to convince others to use. You are using it because you want to. That is enough of a reason; you're an adult & don't need others' permission. Winning over others doesn't really benefit you, does it?

BTW I am knowledgeable about the scientific aspects you have quoted in your thousand or so posts on this topic, and frankly, your data is bogus....starting with marijuana being an anti-depressant...and going downhill from there. I have seen with my own eyes much destruction caused by this drug and don't appreciate the constant infomercials promoting it, just as many posters on here wouldn't like it much if I constantly posted about the reasons not to use it (and I won't). As a health professional, it really bothers me to see this going on, especially when fake science is quoted to support your beliefs....but then again, if you didn't feel a need to rationalize your use, there would be no reason to post data at all......

For the most part (well ok, maybe 90% of the time lol), I try to stay away from controversies unrelated to the topic of JWs, but this time I figured if you started a thread on a controversial topic, you are probably expecting controversy.

I do appreciate that you put these comments in their own thread, and I'd love to see you do that in the future instead of tacking it onto unrelated threads.

*fed up*

• OpenFireGlass
    OpenFireGlass
    but I don't understand this mission you're on to convince others to use. You are using it because you want to. That is enough of a reason; you're an adult & don't need others' permission. Winning over others doesn't really benefit you, does it?

no, i'm not trying to get other people to use... I just wanted anyones opinion (including yours) on why cannabis is not decriminalized, and why society still attaches a stigma to this plant or the person who chooses to use this plant...

...and frankly, your data is bogus.... ...it really bothers me to see this going on, especially when fake science is quoted to support your beliefs....

feel free to provide any links/info supporting your claim that these are bogus links

I figured if you started a thread on a controversial topic, you are probably expecting controversy.

I'm not the first person...LOL..

I do appreciate that you put these comments in their own thread, and I'd love to see you do that in the future instead of tacking it onto unrelated threads.

Yeah, I had to feel this place out at first... this is a great discussion board... I've checked out other JW boards, but this is the only one I read/post on, due to the mostly intelligent discussions (I know you probablly don't think I'm very intelligent)

Seems as though everybody at some point or another tacks in something humorous, unrelated to a thread.. for some people it has to do with sex or having a drink... for me it ussually has something to do with cannabis...

BTW rebel8.. I do appriciate your honest opinion on tthe topic

Mike

• gumby
    gumby

Me thinks Rebel got up on the wrong side of the bed when she posted that and me thinks OFG is so stoned you can't get the bastard mad.

GumTHC

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit