Cannabis vs Alchohol and Other Man Made Pharmacuticals

by OpenFireGlass 145 Replies latest jw friends

• moomanchu
    moomanchu

This question is asked by many different people, and for good reason. Marijuana is the most commonly used and tested for drug in the United States and several other countries as well. Marijuana is also the drug that is more likely to stay in your system for days, weeks, or even an entire month after the last time that you smoke. Therefore, even though marijuana is one of the least harmful drugs out there, it is also the most likely drug to cause you to fail a drug test.

When you ask the question “How long does marijuana stay in your system?” you need to take into account the fact that there is no simple answer to this question. Quite simply, it’s argued both that THC never leaves your brain, as well as that there are several different factors which can affect whether or not you test positive for marijuana use.

http://www.concept420.com/how-long-does-marijuana-stay-system.htm

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

There is also, imo, a huge hidden cost to societal hypocricy. Marijuana being illegal while alcohol is legal, is arbitrary and hypocritical and it can only be embraced as a positive either thru stupidity or rank cynicism.

• skeeter1
    skeeter1

Social Stigma is your answer

In the 19th century, drug use by Victorian, upper class women was in vogue. Yes, your great, grandmother may have been a coke, weed, or opium addict to relieve all sorts of women ailments. When lower classes (immigrants, blacks, jazz singers) started to use this stuff, doctors started realizing dangers (all the dead/misformed babies), and international pressure started to mount...the US passed the Harrison Act.

See http://www.nida.nih.gov/PDF/DARHW/033-052_Kandall.pdf for an excellent history of this.

Alcohol isn't necessarily "healthy" (empty calories, kills brain cells).....men have drunk it for years. So, even though we had prohibition for a while...it's just "accepted" in our society. After all, Jesus served it up.

Skeeter

• IP_SEC
    IP_SEC
    Marijuana is also the drug that is more likely to stay in your system for days, weeks, or even an entire month after the last time that you smoke. Therefore

This is a little misleading. THC is the drug which is responsible for the 'high' leaves the body within 3-8 hours. What drug tests screen for is the metabolite: 9carboxy THC which produces no high.

Above I though you were talking about the drug and its effects staying with you. If you are only worried about a drug test then ya 2 weeks to a month.

• Qcmbr
    Qcmbr

There isn't any harm in any of these things per se and God did put them here for our benefit and use. Where we go wrong is when we use them too much/in the wrong way and cause problems by our over indulgence and greed. Most of the old testament laws would not have been required if the Israelites had not had that mad party with the golden calf. When we don't act responsibily society (and God) gives laws to direct and keep usage within prescribed areas. In my case I'm 'suffering' a no-alcohol ban in my faith brought about by modern day over-indulgence/abuse and things that drink has become associated with. Alcohol is not banned in the bible just recommended in small quantities. We abuse many plants put here for medicinal purposes and instead use them to get high or to calm our nerves with ciggie breaks (which noodle came up with burning leaves and inhaling smoke in the first place??).

Society has the sense to see that the costs are born by all when one over indulges and hence to protect the weak and to protect the balance of community, society enacts smart laws.

• skeeter1
    skeeter1

"Society has the sense to see that the costs are born by all when one over indulges and hence to protect the weak and to protect the balance of community, society enacts smart laws."

True, but you're forgetting the "Golden Rule"...

He who has the Gold, makes the Rules.

High, victorian women produced little threat to Society. It was a way to "get rid" of the nagging wives. But, society could not have a bunch of high "blackies and immigrants."

• Qcmbr
    Qcmbr

Agreed - I should have qualified the bit about society enacting smart laws - 'normally' society enacts smart laws designed to protect. Society is fairly easy in the west in comparison to just a few hundred years ago and we seem to be suffering more emotional problems these days (I'm sure some graduate will correct me with facts and figures if I'm talking tosh) and it looks like we seek escapism in substances far more readily today.

Then again I remember some nutty stat on victorian drinking habits and they were prodigious drunks - no wonder their average age of life was so small between a zillion units a week and the pox.

• LyinEyes
    LyinEyes

I don't smoke, I do drink . I have found that in so many things in life, you have to know your own limits and be moderate. Some people take pills, for pain, chronic pain, Lortabs etc, the only difference is weed is illegal and a script for tabs is not. I have seen more people with ruin lives from pain pill abuse than weed. I have seen more people with DWI from pills and alchol than those who only smoke weed.

It seems to me that from what I have seen from personal experience, watching others, when they smoke weed, their behavior is usually predictable for them, each time they smoke they are about the same. Now these same people I have watched when they drink,,,,,,and only drink, not mixing weed and drink,,,,,their behavior is not predicatable at all. You can drink yourself to death in a night , but is there a limit that your body will go to , you can only get so high? Seems like it, but I am no expert, just wondering.

• HadEnuf
    HadEnuf

Well here's the deal with me. I am on three different anti-depressants/anxiety stuff and still have my really, really bad days. I have nothing against alcohol and do indulge in it on frequent occasions. Hate smoking...it killed my dad...so that's been a life long "thing" for me. I did have my son purchase some weed for me a long time ago because of the pain I have with my arthritis (two knee replacements and three scopes and they still hurt). I even discussed taking it with my Dr. even though it is illegal here in WI. She didn't think it would go well with my other drugs and advised against doing anything illegal. I even had someone here on the forum send me a brownie recipe with weed in it!! But then my son went and used it all up so I never got to try it. Got hooked on oxicodone and had to detox last year which was a NIGHTMARE.

Oh who cares if someone smokes that stuff. But if it impairs a persons driving or such...then it should be used with caution just as with any drug or alcohol use.

Amen...mumsy

• LyinEyes
    LyinEyes

Didn't one of the great Queens, Elizabeth or Anne, put the weed in her bon bons? I could eat a couple of bon bons right now, solely for medical reasons I can assure you...lol.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit