Laughing laughing laughing

by darcy 160 Replies latest jw friends

• freetosee
    freetosee

Welcome,

I am quite new here too, and I think it’s great to look into the older publications no longer provided by the WTS. The WT frequently quotes old catholic or atheist printings and teachings, which I think anyone is free to do.

By the way, the new publications and “new light” is enthusiastically discussed here. And posters like “blondie” discuss the latest WT articles with much participation of others. Keep reading and you will find interesting discussions about the old and the very new development of WT teachings.

Freetosee

• Nosferatu
    Nosferatu
    We all sat on the fence before we came out. Give the guy a chance.

Forgive me for being a bit suspicious, but this guy hardly seems to be the average JW with an open mind. He talks like me, for chrissake!

Perhaps his congregation is a bit "independent" and I'm just being an asshole. However, it's still not sitting right. Staying in for the sole purpose of living forever? How many people really stayed in it for that alone? I could care less if I saw my dead grandma in Paradise Erf, or petted an overgrown cat. I just couldn't tolerate the gossip, the "encouragement", the artificial smiles, the fake personalities, etc etc etc.

• darcy
    darcy

Thanks. I'm sorry you had such a miserable experience.

Yes, I noticed that everything was a promise a few years back. In the organization, we constantly receive reassurance of promises, that's very true.

Thinking solely of the scriptures, and flinging the Society to the side for a moment, it seems that most of what Mat. 24 had to say about the signs of the times are being most significantly fulfilled right now in our day. And that, btw, is what the Bible says, and my opinion, not the Society. I used to speculate that we've had the problems mentioned there throughout human history. Those things have always been present, but they haven't been worldwide until now. Perhaps that's due to the increase of communication technology; we're more aware of the world, and miscommunications can happen quicker... or maybe it's really happening, this whole end of the world thing.

your guess is as good as mine.

• Gerard
    Gerard
    See, I don't like this idea of only having 80 years to live. So, the Witnesses suit me very nicely

Ahhh.... the proverbial carrot. Tell me what you want and I will give you what you need.

Welcome and hang arround for some stimulating thoughts.

Cheers!

• sir82
    sir82
    Those things have always been present, but they haven't been worldwide until now.

Methinks you should take World History 101...

• darcy
    darcy

Not taking the rules seriously??

Naw... most like, I'm just a rebellious kid. (did I mention I've got my hair really really short and I like to stick it up and wear it like that to the meetings... and i'm a girl... oops...)

• RachelHall
    RachelHall
    and I even looked into witchcraft at one point (mostly b/c I was being encouraged to associate with a Wiccan study)... but now I'm back here with the witnesses, and I feel most comfortable here.

Now I see why you feel comfortable with the Witchtower.

• darcy
    darcy

girl, mind you.

• JW_Researcher
    JW_Researcher

Hi Darcy,

….but I'm still attending a four year college for a degree.

In another post:

Not to offend, but why doesn't anyone here quote from recent literature instead of all this stuff that's years old. That's like criticicizing (sic) Windows 95, instead of examining Windows XP.

I'm not certain what you are studying but any decent education involves looking at the history of the topic(s) being studied...from medical science to social sciences.

Even interpersonal relationships involve learning the history of the other.

Your analogy (comparing operating systems) rings hollow...perhaps a superficial consumer model would work like that but absolutely nothing of substance.

Be certain to camouflage such a dismissive attitude when speaking to anyone who matters to you…a professor, a potential employer, a potential spouse…

• Merry Magdalene
    Merry Magdalene

Welcome, Darcy

I think you'll enjoy and appreciate the stimulating conversation here.

~Merry

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit