Laughing laughing laughing

by darcy 160 Replies latest jw friends

• carla
    carla

And you. You my friend have no place here to judge whether I'm disfellowshipping material.---Isn't this the point where I should be able to cry 'persecution'!!?

I can read therefore I can judge according to wt literature and the many who have been df'd and relayed their stories here and at other places for being df'd for the same views you hold. If you were so 'free' in the wt you wouldn't feel the need to 'blab' here, you could do it freely at the kh. Obviously you are not so free and happy at the kh or you would't feel the need to come to an apostate board in which the recent wt's warn to stay away from.

"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use."

Galileo

• diamondblue1974
    diamondblue1974
    Thinking solely of the scriptures, and flinging the Society to the side for a moment, it seems that most of what Mat. 24 had to say about the signs of the times are being most significantly fulfilled right now in our day

Do you not think that there is a danger that too much emphasis is being placed on the Bible? After all it could be argued that its just a book; what empirical evidence do you have to suggest it is anything other than a guidebook? Its written by men after all and nothing else externally suggests different.

The whole 'being inspired of god' however could be argued to be nothing other than self publicity on its own behalf?

How do you reconcile these possibilities with your belief that it is truly inspired?

Welcome to the board by the way...great to see the openings of your mind!

DB74

• freetosee
    freetosee

Darcy, as much as I would love you to try the seattle-experiment, I agree with sass-my-frass. You have a balanced view of the position of the elders (though not according to WT demands), so keep doing your thing. It took many of us years to realize the limited authority the elders really have. If you are happy and have good friends in your congregation enjoy it. I belief you would stand up for what is right and I hope you have a good relationship with the children and youths in your congregation, because I think they can learn much from you.

Freetosee

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

The signs of Mat 24 have been fulfilled daily ever since Jesus. Reading history you will find that the number and severity of earthquakes have not changed for 1000's of years, and more people died in the 1200's than the 1900s in earthquakes.

We are in one of the most peaceful periods in regards to war.

The life expectancy has doubled in the last 100 years and plagues are at an all time low.

Don't be misled by Watchtower statements of doom and gloom based on dishonest statistics

• greendawn
    greendawn

I also agree that the modern world is a lot more civilised and safe to live in than the past, who would want to live in the Middle Ages for example? Certainly the dubs are much better off in today's world with its tolerence, respect for the rights of man and democratic constitutions.

As for wars and famines there have been worse ones in the past also given the world's lower population in those times.

• AuldSoul
    AuldSoul

darcy,

Just a quick additional thought regarding Matthew 24:

Keep in mind that the much touted sign of the last days was given as a precursor to the arrival of Christ, not as a long period (already over 90 years) between an invisible arrival (1914) and Armageddon. It was during this precursor period that he specifically stated that we should ignore and refuse to follow anyone who claimed to know where Christ was or what he was doing, along with ignoring anyone who claimed to be Christ.

He also warned us to be on guard against false prophets. Matthew 7 tells us that false prophets are known by the fruit they bear. Keeping in mind that Jesus was speaking to Jews on the Mount of Olives, his description of how to tell a false prophet fits nicely with Deuteronomy 18:20-22. You tell a false prophet by...whether their prophecies come true—that is, by the fruit they bear. Jehovah's Witnesses have failed to accurately predict one single thing, ever. Their history of failed predictions is not without precedent, other Millennialist and End Times religions have similar records of 100% failed prophetic announcements. Why would anyone expect they have accurately predicted that the end is "soon"?

Respectfully,
    AuldSoul

• brutusmaximus
    brutusmaximus

Very good posts Auldsoul even though I have been away for a number of years it does no harm going over why I left

Hi to Darcy I hope your time here is enjoyable and you are allowed to keep the spikey hair. When I was a teen I copied Billy Idol (except for the bleach part) but got told off for wearing it that way, maybe that was a good thing

All the best

BM

• LyinEyes
    LyinEyes

No, BM , Billy Idol was hot back then and is still hot today with his spikes, you had it right!! Another thing the WT stole from you huh?? , Spike hair haters!

• brutusmaximus
    brutusmaximus

I know, I watched the Wedding Singer and although older he still had that snarl. Now though the hair is less thick and could look a bit bonkers on a 36 year old dad of 2.

I leave the wacky hair do's to my son now who is carrying the mantle and my folks can't do a thing about it, hee hee.

Sorry for high jacking thread a wee bit

BM

• BizzyBee
    BizzyBee

Disfellowhipping material? How about just - not Witness material?

Anyhoo, I think some of us are using a sledgehammer to swat a fly. Which is ok if you enjoy it, and of course that is often the fun with trolls. However, I don't see Darcy as an apologist. I can tell by checking my blood pressure and so far she hasn't caused it to spike.

She a is obviously a young, free-thinking person on a journey of discovery and going about it in a pretty healthy, intelligent way. While no one knows her ultimate destination, I would bet serious money where it isn't - DubLand.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit