Girls......Should you have your cake and eat it? Booty call

by Spectrum 53 Replies latest social current

• Confession
    Confession

I get a kick out of this stuff...

I think the original post made a simple, valid point. There are women who positively scream for the attention of men through provocative dress and behavior. They love the thought that they may not have to buy a drink because of this--and admit as much. But many of these same women will roll their eyes and sigh heavily at the men who look at and talk to them in precisely the way they want them to.

This is not commentary on...

-men who go too far by behaving disgracefully.

-women not being deserving of such power.

-women needing to go to great measures to hide their figures.

-men thinking they "own" a woman after buying them a drink.

-men thinking they have the "right" to grope a woman if she is dressed sexy.

It's simply about some women who intentionally (often admittedly) coax a behavior--and then disingenuously act upset by it. Even if the men are only looking, smiling and hoping. And even if the man's behavior is substantially less forward than the woman's.

By the way, LDH, with reference to noticing you...I have to admit I have never been able to comprehend the photo in your avatar. Try as I might, I just can't tell what position you're in. Are you lying down? Standing up? It sort of looks like your dress has a huge left shoulder pad--but I see no such pad on your right. LOL! Can you post a larger one in this thread. The more I look, the more I can't figure it out.

Confession

• OpenFireGlass
    OpenFireGlass

and while we do have an occasional throwback to cave man times (George Bush) we live in a modern world and have to deal with these evolutionary incursion's in a civilized way!
  • LDH
    LDH

Hi there confession....it's a cropped photo of my honeymoon. My husband is on my left, and my daughter is on my right. I'm sitting straight up. Yes, I will find another pic to post just for you!

:)

PS, I agree with your post.

• kikisdragon
    kikisdragon

I go salsa dancing, and I like to dress sexy - I expect to get a little extra attention. But that doesn't mean I'm agreeing to sleep with someone if they buy me a drink. I think the lady in question should always bring money prepared to buy her own drinks, and only let someone buy her a drink if she plans on dancing with them. That's my policy, but it may not work for everyone. How you dress should have something to do with where you are. At work, you should dress according to whatever the company policy is, period. Women shouldn't get so bent out of shape at guys looking - only if they start touching, or continually making dirty jokes about/around you.

• ballistic
    ballistic

The young girls in the town where I live seem to be in a competition on who can wear the least clothes. A few have even taken to going out in bra and panties. (even in the middle of winter) Personally I think it's way over the top and to me as a man it would make me think these girls are too up themselves. If you are a elligable woman, why would you need to flaunt it like that?

• MsMcDucket
    MsMcDucket

Found this article in our daily newspaper.

What’s too sexy for work?

What clothing do you think crosses the too-sexy-for-work line? No sleeves, no pantyhose, higher hemlines, lower necklines, scooped backs?

And what are your tips for dressing appropriately when the mercury rises? An acquaintance of mine once told me that she uses this rule: If her mom stopped by her work unexpectedly, would Mom be appalled at what she was wearing? I guess you also could ask yourself that if a photographer with the company newsletter came by your desk unannounced to snap your picture, would you be horrified and want to run home to change?

Click on "comments" below to weigh in.

Posted by Lori O'Toole Buselt

http://www.kansas.com/mld/kansas/living/fashion/14690294.htm

My question would be? What if your mom dressed like that! BTW, my mother didn't dress like that. She is one of the people from the old school churches where women always have to wear dresses, and the dresses must be below the knee. *sigh* I hate to wear dresses to this day!

• LDH
    LDH

Ms. Mcd,

I love those effing boots!!!!

• Terry
    Terry

Just for the sake of clarity; the expression "have your cake and eat it too" should read:

Eat your cake and have it too

in order to make any sense.

Having said that.

This is clearly an issue of power.

Women have been denied so much access to power throughout history the only possible means of equalization to the imbalance has been the vulnerability of men to their own sexual longings and frustrations.

By dressing provocatively a woman can quickly separate the sheep from the goats by how they are noticed and with what degree of exhuberance.

Then, socially speaking, it becomes a case of negotiating the interaction. Women become quite adept at this negotiation.

Depending on the level of maturity and rational intelligence of the woman a greater or lesser benefit will ensue.

But, make no mistake about it; the society we live in is and always has been one in which sexual power is a profound bargaining chip.

T.

• rebel8
    rebel8

What is "ruck"???

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

I agree... she is either a Tease or seriously stupid. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out why a woman would get a lot of attention and free drinks at a bar or club.

-Elsewhere, of the "Still Waiting for my First Free Drink" Class.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit