Dallas SweatFest - July 29th 2006

by LittleToe 371 Replies latest members meetups

• Rabbit
    Rabbit

Yep, we do need to figure out where we are going to meet. We are going to get there earlier than 10am, it gets hot fast. I thought it was going to be the Cedar Hill State Park. I've been there, it has the largest area & picnic spots as well as a large swimming beach. It's also a little cheaper than the city parks, although I have driven thru Lloyd Park, it's very pretty and clean.

I believe Cedar Hill Park is the one Valis and some others went to at the last Fest. Anybody hear from him ?

Rabbit

• FMZ
    FMZ

Yep, Valis, CSG, IPSEC and I stayed there a few nights. Beautiful, beautiful place...

We just stayed in the camping spots though, never visited any of the park areas. I'm sure he knows all the good places tho.

FMZ

• arrowstar
    arrowstar

Then, Cedar Hill State Park it is!! They have the same facilities available....both exit off Interstate 20....

ATTENTION!!!

ATTENTION PLEASE!!

CEDAR HILL STATE PARK @ 10:00 a.m. Saturday morning.

that is all....

Lisa

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

Something interesting I thought I would throw out for our visitors.... Caddo Lake is the only natural lake in all of Texas. Every other lake in Texas is artificially created using dams. However, even Caddo Lake started out as a swamp and was dammed in the early 1900's to form the lake that is currently there.

To prevent any confusion resulting from this post:

We will be meeting at CEDAR HILL STATE PARK @ 10:00 a.m. Saturday morning.

• Rabbit
    Rabbit

Good ! Arrowstar is our leader...ALL HAIL ARROWSTAR !

So, is there any interest in boats ? I have 2 kayaks & a canoe...I'll bring 'em if y'all want them.

Elsewhere, here's an interesting story about what caused the log jam -- that made the lake...

http://nac.tamu.edu/x075bb/caddo/caddo.html

According to a Caddoan legend, Caddo Lake was formed by an earthquake. A Caddo Indian Chief was warned by the Great Spirit to move his village from the low lands. The Chief ignored the warning and one day while he and his men were out hunting the ground shook. When they returned, their village was gone beneath the water of the newly formed Caddo Lake.

There could be some truth to this story. In 1811 New Madrid, Missouri had an earthquake that measured 8.9. This could have knocked down enough trees to form the great raft that dammed the Red River and formed Caddo Lake.

• IP_SEC
    IP_SEC

Arrow,

You ever though of getting a job as a cat wrangler?

• arrowstar
    arrowstar

it could happen...

Lisa of the NE MT class

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Ok, Cedar Hill, off 20, Saturday 10am, for kayaking fun - I hope to be there, barring incident and accident (DV).

IPSEC:

Those steers look dangerous!!!

• arrowstar
    arrowstar

YAY!! We have a plan!

oh YAY!!

Lisa

• Fatfreek
    Fatfreek

It doesn't take a lot to get this Arkansas confused but I just got this Mapquest map and the star looks as if it's some 3 miles from a body of water. What am I missing?

http://tinyurl.com/ket5h

Fats

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit