Your favourite film of all time?

by Spectrum 49 Replies latest social entertainment

• Spectrum
    Spectrum

Mindless fun part (II)

Mine is - West Side Story followed in second place by the very first Star Wars.

• Dr Jekyll
    Dr Jekyll

The orginal Star Wars, Alien and The Fog

• MegaDude
    MegaDude

The Shawshank Redemption.

There are a number parallels between this film and exiting the JW experience. Andy's being thrown into prison for a crime he didn't commit resonated strongly with me being raised in a prison-like cult I would never have chosen to join. The domineering attitude of the warden is much like the governing body: control is everything. The conditioning Morgan Freeman calls "being institutionalized" is the same experience for many JWs. They can't imagine life on the outside of the JW religious prison. In the book by Stephen King, Andy had broken through to his escape route years before he actually left but hadn't summoned up the courage to try it.

I especially like the powerful soliloquy at the end where Red makes the choice to break his institutionalized way of thinking and goes for his new life.

"I find these days I'm so excited I can hardly sit still or hold a single thought in my head. I would imagine it's the excitement only a free man can feel. A free man at the start of a long journey whose conclusion is uncertain.

I hope I can make it across the border.

I hope to see my friend and shake his hand.

I hope the Pacific is as blue as it has been in my dreams.

I hope."

• gumby
    gumby
    The Shawshank Redemption.

Me too. I love escape movies. Escape from Alcatraz was my second.

Gumby.....who STILL likes The Wizard of OZ

• luna2
    luna2

Another vote for Shawshank. I love that movie. All the bad guys get it in the end and our heros end up on a tropical beach. Aaaaaah, perfect.

I know I have other favs but I can't think of them at the moment. Maybe I'll go to a move today if I can fix my car window.

• serendipity
    serendipity

Ever After - for my inner child who still wants to believe I'll marry a prince.

Forest Gump - a great rollercoaster ride of emotion which reveals appearances are deceiving, a handicap can be a strength in disguise and the enduring power of love and loyalty.

• mckay
    mckay

The greatest movie ever made was, "Gone With the Wind". A basically true life story, though slightly over done, that ends more true to life than the common movie. In other words, everyone does not end up being happy for the rest of their life.

mckay

• Legolas
    Legolas

Of course!

• breeze
    breeze

1973....Ah those were the days my friend....

The Sting....I do like Shawshank Redemption as well.....

Robert Redford and Paul Newman....

"Place it on Lucky Dan"...famous lines.....

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

Purple Triangles.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit