Your favourite film of all time?

by Spectrum 49 Replies latest social entertainment

• Sherri
    Sherri

Looked all through this thread to see if anyone picked my favourite, but it looks like I'm the only one:

Harold and Maude

This was a life-changing film for me. It's an old (1971) cult movie which shows up at the cinema from time to time. I originally went to see it back in 1982 because Cat Stevens did the soundtrack, but I fell in love with the film. It's about an almost-80-year-old woman and a 19-year-old man/boy who meet and fall in love. Harold is one messed up kid, and Maude teaches him about life. When I decided to leave the JWs in 1986, I took on board many of the things she said; it actually helped me to leave.

A couple of examples:

Harold (who spends a good deal of the time faking suicides to get his mother's attention), tells Maude he "enjoys being dead." Maude replies, "Yes. I understand. A lot of people enjoy being dead. But they're not dead, not really. They're just backing away from life." So she tells him to "Reach out! Take a chance! Get hurt, even. But play as well as you can....Otherwise, you got nothing to talk about in the locker room."

Also, "Come on, now, Harold. Everyone has the right to be an ass. You just can't let the world judge you too much."

The "backing away from life" really resonated with me, even though being a JW could hardly be called easy. What WAS easy about it was checking my brain (and my conscience) at the door and allowing someone else to make all my decisions for me. So I had to reach out and take a chance (and boy, did I get hurt) -- but now I've got a hell of a lot to talk about.

• MissBehave
    MissBehave

Don't worry mckay, Gone With The Wind is also my all-time favorite. Scarlett O'Hara is my hero.

There are a couple other movies that I can watch over and over again.....Mr. Mom and Groundhog Day. I think Groundhog Day has this really deep message and people think I'm crazy for saying so.

• Caedes
    Caedes

"are you the farmer?"

"stop saying that withnail, of course he's the f***ing farmer"

"you cant drink that, even the w**kers on the street wouldn't drink that"

"B***ocks, the w**kers dont drink it because they can't afford it, it's a far superior drink to meths"

From the greatest film of all time - Withnail and I

• pratt1
    pratt1

ET

Jerry McGuire

What dreams may come

Imitation of LIfe - 2nd version Lana Turner and Juanita Moore

Rudy

• Spectrum
    Spectrum

Has anybody seen Skin Deep (an 80s film) This was the funniest film I have ever seen!!

• luna2
    luna2

It sounds familiar. Wonder if I saw it. Guess I should go look it up and see. lol

• Spectrum
    Spectrum

It's about a guy that was searching for the meaning of life. His quest took him through a number of woman and all that it entailed.

• Nowman
    Nowman

All time favorite movie for me is "Empire of the Sun" when Christian Bale(?)(was in the latest Batman) was a kid. This movie affected me so much, probably because my mom and dad disowned me when I was DF'd, the story is about war, when there was a British part of Japan, got separated from his parents, etc. It still affects me when I see it to this day. Maybe some of you have seen it?

• BlessedStar
    BlessedStar

The Sound of Music!!!

blessedstar

• BlessedStar
    BlessedStar

The Sound of Music (1965)

A former nun leaves the convent to become a governess for the seven children of a wealthy, Austrian widower who has grown into a cold disciplinarian. Soon, the she opens the children to the wonders of life and the joy of music - and eventually softens the heart of their father and gains his love.

blessedstar

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit