And Now for Something Spiritual

by unclebruce 80 Replies latest jw friends

• unclebruce
    unclebruce

As you know, I discovered Jesus late one night while surfing Jehovah on the net. I ordered my plastic Jesus, he duly arrived heralded by a mighty trumpet blast and he and I have inseperatable ever since. It's not easy being the only true christian in the world. I thought you might like to know where I get all my bible paraphenalia.

Gadgets for God:

The God Pod:

It's a low-cost digital device containing 160 hours of audio files. The whole of the Old and New Testaments (well, you want to hear every one of the begats, don't you?) are playable in spoken form.

Best of all, being solar-powered, the device is accessible to the developing world where electricity is still a luxury. And for lazy westerners, what could be better than listening to every verse of the Book of Habakkuk while basking on a beach?

We liked this little gaj so much we gave it the ship treatment. It's still technically known as the Megavoice – but that's too, well... 80's for us. We re-christened it the GodPod. Apple saviour Steve Jobs, time to meet another one here.

Ten Plagues Finger Puppets:

"This little boil went to market. This little locust stayed at home. And this little plague sneaks into bedrooms in the middle of the night and mercilessly smites children of your age – on purely racial grounds. Goodnight, darling. Sweet dreams."

For just $16.95 you can scare the shibboleth out of your first-born with this inspiring set of finger puppets. All 10 plagues sent to Pharoah’s Egypt are here, including flies, thunder, hail, gnats, darkness. As the sales blurb puts it: "There is NO DOUBT about it. KIDS LOVE the story of the 10 Plagues... Here is just the right thing to keep your children interested in the Haggadah... and GUARANTEE they don't fall asleep..."

Kingdom Hall Call Jammer:

Even at the most solemn moment of a funeral service, with relatives of the deceased weeping quietly into handkerchiefs, rest assured that William will roll up to add his special blessing. Rossini's WilliamTell, that is – set at "outdoor" on someone's mobile. Nothing is more intrusive, impolite and plain embarrassing. But now, at last, for those of us brassed off with monotone Mozart and high-pitched Handel, salvation dawns – a signal jammer that blocks all calls round a building.

Developed by Israeli electronic-warfare experts, the device is being trialled by four churches in Monterrey, Mexico. "Before we had the system, it was very uncomfortable hearing calls during the celebration of mass. But now it's 95 per cent quiet," said Bulmaro Carranza, from the Sacred Heart Church. "We are getting calls from all over the world to see how it can be installed in other churches – but only when the services are over!"

Pioneer Door Knocker:

OK, it looks like something a mafioso might wear – or something your family planning adviser might suggest – but be not afraid! Allow the Doorknocker Company to introduce this Mormon gadget: "Knocking doors all day makes for sore knuckles. Many missionaries will tell you they carried a stone, golf ball or coin to knock doors. But the Missionary DoorKnocker helps to stop the long months of knuckle pounding."

For as little as $6, you can own your very own DoorKnocker, and apparently you can even make it a family tradition and pass it on to your kids when they too become Mormon missionaries. DoorKnockers come in Brass or Silver Aluminum along with a velvet carrying pouch.

Shoes of the Fisherman:

Now your soles really can magnify the Lord. Shoes of the Fisherman sandals leave their unique message "in the sand at the seashore, on sidewalks after a rain shower, and on wet pool decks." Because, "while the words disappear as the sands shift and the sidewalk dries, these footprints leave the greatest impression on the soul."

Hand-finished in Thailand, Shoes of the Fisherman sandals are blue and white with a contoured insole, and are "waffled to keep feet cool." Take your first steps into a new world of witnessing for just $19.95 (plus postage and packing). Click here to order!

Thanks to Karen & Simon Filsell of St Albans for sharing thisGadget with us.

Gospel Magic Glasses:

We see in a glass darkly," said St Paul in one of his thoughtful moments. If only he'd been able to get his hands on one of Diamon-Fusion International's "Gospel Magic" drinking glasses... then he'd have seen something else entirely in his whisky glass.

The Gospel Magic glass looks perfectly ordinary when it's sitting empty on the bar. But fill it with a cold drink, and the face of Jesus appears. "As long as the liquid is cooler than the room, it will continue to show," says the manufacturer. "Even when wiped away it will reappear and can't be wiped off" – a detail St Paul would certainly have turned into a theological point. Only $20.00 for the 10 1/2 oz cocktail glass.

Bible Message Camera:

A gift for proselytizers everywhere, the Bible Message Camera offers you the perfect opportunity to witness while boring everyone to death with pictures of the dog on vacation.

Pre-loaded with 35mm "Special Message Film", this $14.95 camera brands your photos with 24 inspirational verses from the Bible in a unique, clash-with-the-photo-itself style. What better way to accent the memories of the kids' birthday parties than with various non sequitur verses? It can even be re-used, but be warned: unless you reload with "Special Message Film", the camera will lose its religion.

Bobblehead Jesus:

Owners of cars worldwide are set to banish nodding dogs from their back shelves – replacing them with Someone much more significant. While Buddy Christ keeps a watchful eye over you and your passengers from the dashboard, Bobblehead Jesus does a bishoply work from your car's back shelf – affirming drivers as they pull up behind with outstretched arms and a gentle, welcoming nod of the cranium.

"Of course, nobody knows what Jesus really looked like," confess the manufacturers, "but this is our best guess since we know He had a head that moved!" BHJ stands about 8" tall, is hand painted and made of high-quality polyresin. You will need buy velcro (or alternative) for use in a car.

The Fire Bible:

Just when you were about to yawn about being sold yet another translation of the good book... a scorching new edition lights your life. The new AV – Arsonist's Version.

As the sales blurb sizzles: "When was the last time your class saw how 'HOT' God's Word is? Open this authentic-looking 'Bible' and begin to share the scripture for the day as real flames are seen coming from your 'Bible'. This full-size book comes with a battery-operated ignition system. All you supply are the batteries, lighter fluid and composure..."
    Just when you were about to yawn about being sold yet another translation of the good book... a scorching new edition lights your life. The new AV – Arsonist's Version.

Last Supper / Memorial Wall Clock:

Here's proof that Pilate's heavies weren't the first to brutalise Jesus at his trial. Several hours before, in the Upper Room, a Chinese clockmaker pierced him to the heart, ensuring you, too, can be the proud owner of the Last Supper Wall Clock. And look, to make a real meal of it, the timepiece belts out the Hallelujah Chorus every hour (as, of course, the disciples did during the first eucharist). Sensitively, the chime is suspended between 11pm and 6am - to prevent the disciples' suffering from sleep deprivation on the Mount of Olives, no doubt.

Here's proof that Pilate's heavies weren't the first to brutalise Jesus at his trial. Several hours before, in the Upper Room, a Chinese clockmaker pierced him to the heart, ensuring you, too, can be the proud owner of the Last Supper Wall Clock. And look, to make a real meal of it, the timepiece belts out the Hallelujah Chorus every hour (as, of course, the disciples did during the first eucharist). Sensitively, the chime is suspended between 11pm and 6am - to prevent the disciples' suffering from sleep deprivation on the Mount of Olives, no doubt.

Testamints:

"And ye shall find the mint, wrapped in a Bible text, and lying in a Testamints Easter Edition Collector's Tin (four for $19.95)..."

Yes, Testamints are here. Each sweet (spearmint, peppermint and wintergreen) is individually wrapped in one of 40 different verses from the Old and New Testaments. Their mission: "to be the best at providing daily encouragement to all people and enabling Christians to share their faith with others..."

So the next time you're on a train, or killing time in a bus queue, think: Testamint. Pass them round and "do the work of an evangelist." You'll be helping to share the Good Chews.

Link: Ship of Fools

• Dr Jekyll
    Dr Jekyll

Maybe I'm possessed or something because when ever I see tasteless crap like that clock I just want to destroy it!

• nelly136
    nelly136

dont think i've had enough tea n nicotine yet, for a moment there i thought i saw 'bible massage cream'.

• nelly136
    nelly136

omg the clock plays hallelujah every hour?

that would be worse than my neighbours naff cuckoo clock that goes off loudly every hour then plays a tune after ever set of cuckoo's just in case you missed the extra loud cuckoos.

if they had one that played that i think i'd be investing in a really long drill and some semtex

• luna2
    luna2

There was massage cream, nelly? LMAO I'll have to go back and check that out. I like the Jebus glass...very creepy. I think the clock would be too noisy for me.

Who comes up with this stuff?

• nelly136
    nelly136

nooo it was a camera....musta been DRJ's deeminz on the loose.

• luna2
    luna2

Awww, Shucks...well, if they don't have massage cream, they should come up with some. Maybe something to do with washing feet and then massaging 'em.

• unclebruce
    unclebruce
    Maybe I'm possessed or something because when ever I see tasteless crap like that clock I just want to destroy it!

You're an evildoi'n persecuta of the true believer is what you is! Repent now and help me start my new church or spend eternity stoking the fires of Hell ::: Buddy Christ Dashboard Deity: Dogma?

If nodding head dogs are just too passé and woolly dice too rustbucket, steer yourself to the divine alternative – at just $12.95. All together now: "Buddy, you can drive my car. Beep, beep, beep, beep – YEAH!" Jehovah Jesus and Holy Spirit Lego Set:

Buy the astonishing, theologically incorrect Holy Trinity three-pak ("made from 100% LEGO parts") and then prepare for a lifetime explaining to your children and grandchildren how the Holy Ghost isn't really a ghost, as such, but, er, well, more like, er...

Nail of Jesus:

In Bethlehem the child was born to bring God's love to earth,
    And angels sang and shepherds came to praise Him at His birth.
    But when the child became a man, the praise soon ceased to be.
    And with their hearts all filled with hate, men nailed Him to a tree.

Darwin Fish Bumper Badge: The Knitted Testement:

A true gadget for God has to pass two critical tests.

Firstly, two cultures must clash – amply demonstrated here as the Last Supper of Jesus Christ, Son of God, meets size 9 knitting needles. Secondly, we need to imagine someone, somewhere, delighting in the gadget's creation. Can't you just picture it? A sweet old lady, sitting in front of a TV soap, calling out to a relative: "When I've finished Judas I'll be right with you, dear. Now then, knit one, purl one..."

Pat's Patterns offers you, "Jesus, the 12 disciples, the bread, the plates, the wine goblets and wine jug... the full colour pattern for just £3.99." Amen. Knit this in remembrance of me.

The Leprechauns' Bible:

If the 110-foot high Jesus the Hot Air Balloon impressed you for sheer scale, how about this at the opposite end of the spectrum? ICG printers of Cheltenham, England, have printed the entire Bible on a single page, measuring 15" by 21".

Each letter is 100th of an inch high and can be read when magnified 12 times. So now even under-evangelised Lilliputians and Irish leprechauns can come under the sound of the gospel. On sale for £7 a sheet (magnifying glass not included).

His Land is Your Land!:

You've already got miracle-working soil in your insoles – but perhaps that isn't quite enough to fulfil the dreams of a lifetime. "For thousands of years, believers have longed for the experience of being a part of the Holy Land,' gushes Holy Land Parcels Ltd of Jerusalem. 'Now, for the first time in 2000 years, you may fulfill this dream..."

For just £25, Holy Land Parcels will sell you a "symbolic plot of land" in the Hills of Galilee with a "breathtaking view of the Sea of Gennesaret" (Luke 5:1). The actual size of your land might prove a tad disappointing. One square inch. Some advice, then, if you travel to Israel to stand on your own exclusive piece of God's own country – pack a pogo stick.

Jesus Night Lamp:

"How would you like this night light in your bedroom?" I asked my seven-year-old daughter.

"Not much," she said, screwing up her nose.

"But it's Jesus, the Light of the World."

"Ummm... it's his arm I don't like. It's weird."

"That could be for the children. He could be asking them: 'How many fingers have I got on this hand?'"

Unimpressed silence.

"Or he could be showing them how to operate an evangelistic glove puppet..."

Deep frown, then: "Nah, not that arm, silly, the other one. It looks like he's broken it, put it in a sling and hidden it under his shirt. Why would Jesus want to hide a broken arm? Can't he heal it, or something?"

The 5.25" high Jesus night lamp in white bisque ceramic, selling at $12.95, will, I fear, have to wait patiently for another owner.

The Bible Belt:

How many times have you watched while the worship leader in your church has raised his hands skywards in praise to the Lord, only for his trousers to slide to his ankles at the same moment? Never? Me neither... but I live in hope. Watch and pray, dear brethren.

Tragically, a new product on the market may prevent such a wonder ever taking place at all. The Bible Belt, available from Malcolm White Productions for only $20, features a handsome buckle, enabling you to wear your fundamentalism with pride. Says one satisfied customer: "Lord have mercy, who among us has not heard of the Bible Belt all our cotton-pickin' lives? But nobody thought of making one to wear around one's waist until Malcolm White came along. God bless him! Praise the Lord! Send me three more size 40s, Malcolm!"

Gone to See Dad T Shirt:

What are kool young Kristians wearing today? For a t-shirt you could wear with pride almost anywhere, why not order this fabulous leisure item from Sonrise Christian Wear for your church's entire youth group? Made from heavyweight cotton, the back shows a note pinned to a cross, bearing the following life-enhancing message...

Gone to see Dad.
    We're fixin' a place for you.
    Be back soon to pick you up.
    Jesus

This crease-free, theology-free item is yours for only $15.95

The Miracle Mug:

"My cup runneth over," exclaimed David in his hit Psalm, No. 23. But now, thanks to Berg Christian Enterprises, my cup not only runneth over, but changeth colour, too. Simply add a hot beverage to one of these miracle mugs and the scene, showing a city skyline or clouds, changes dramatically to reveal – the second coming of Christ!

Just imagine it: a simple cup of coffee becomes a moment of repentance. As Berg Enterprises says: "Everyone who sees it is profoundly affected when they watch the amazing transformation of the large 12oz. cup. This is truly a 'conversation piece' that is worth talking about, time and time again."

There are several styles of mug, but especially effective are "The King is Coming" and "A Thief in the Night", shown above. Only $14.98, including gift box.

_____________________ Most ex JW's dream of starting their own religion. Well why not make the business portable ? Digital Hyminal:

Get rid of troublesome organist problems and get your church on song for the 21st century with the Digital Hymn Player. Undoubtedly the technological innovation of the 1990s, this ecclesiastical karaoke player is briefcase-friendly and keyboard-free.

At the touch of a remote control button, Digital Hymnal instantly launches into any one of 3000 hymns stored inside on a miracle microchip. Special features include an optional 'Amen' button to bring each rendition to a fitting close. An extra button for Toronto-style barking is reportedly in the pipeline.

Communion/Memorial Wine Dispenser:

With hordes of unfamiliar faces in church each Christmas, and the deacons engaged in virtually round-the-clock communion wine-glass filling, what better present to slip into their stockings than the new rapid-fill communion wine dispenser?

This baby can prepare as many as 240 cups per minute – or so boasts the Houston-based company which makes them. Even better: "This machine can fill 5,000 to 6,000 communion cups in 20 minutes without any spillage and has been a tremendous asset to our ushers' ministry," according to a satisfied customer. Drive-through communion, anyone?

Millenial Confessional:

Those traditional, draughty, musty-smelling sin bins had better say their prayers. Genuflex of Venice have made penance a pleasure with their new Millennium Confessionals.

Gone is the traditional wooden chair or stool. Instead, the priest can sink into a black leather armchair. At his side is an electronic console to regulate the temperature, dim the lighting and adjust the sound-proofing. Yes, sound-proofing. According to Paolo Lion, Genuflex's managing director: "You can scream to your heart's content – even kill the priest – and no one outside would be any the wiser." Cost? "Up to £4,000." Inflatable Church:

Hot air and churches have a long, interwoven history, but it took Mike Gill from Southampton finally to bring them together. The world's first inflatable church, which cost a cool £15,000 to make, is 47ft high from ground to steeple and includes a blow-up organ, altar, pulpit, pews, candles and "stained glass" windows. But sadly, when we spoke to Mike recently, nobody had yet hired it for what it is intended – wedding services, at a cost of up to £2,000 a go.

"If the bride and groom are called Ann and Peter, then we can call the church St Peter or St Ann, so they can even put that on the invitation," he ventured. Er, ye-es... Perhaps someone should tell Mike that people like admiring, discussing and criticising churches. Actually going inside them is, however, another matter.

Inflate your wedding! Click here! Thanks be to Simon Grimes of Australia for alerting us to Inflatable Church.

The Flying Cathederal:

The inflatable church in last year's 12 Days of Kitschmas was a triumphant coming together of the church and hot air. But this year's soaraway offering makes last year's ground-based, sacred inflatable so... 2002.

Kubicek Balloons, from the Czech Republic, have blown us away with the world's first flying cathedral. Its purpose? Evangelism, maybe? Social justice? A greater understanding between ethnic communities?

Living, as we do, in the age of showbiz, there's only one legitimate purpose – publicity. As Kubicek announce, in admirable and wonderfully broken English: "That evening and the next day domestic and foreign media are richer with information about the birth of a flying church. The balloon even has not reached its destination and it has already been the subject of publicity all over the world! The customer is very satisfied."

Order your very own flying cathedral! (Flying Bishops only may apply.) Click here

Link: Ship of Fools

• luna2
    luna2

I love the knitted testament! They look so cuddly. The cathedral hot air balloon is pretty neat too.

After checking out all of the dashboard ornaments, I think I've decided on a bobble head Jesus.

• unclebruce
    unclebruce

Yeah I'm with you on those luna, I like the ten plagues finger puppets too

I've ordered a Jesus Astray for the cigar smok'n anti-christ Kent Steinhaug:

As everyone knows, God hates fags. So isn't it time you got the message?

Maybe you've tried everything. Hypnosis, nicotine patches, ultra-ultra lights, coughing in tongues. Well, how about the ultimate aversion therapy? Just gaze into the bearded face and tear-rimmed eyes of the one who has been successfully inducing guilt for centuries. And pray the Penitent Smoker's Prayer: "Jesus, gimme a light, willya?"

Cough up for the Jesus Ashtray: only $12

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit