May 28--Four years since Dateline's JW sex abuse program aired. Results?

by AndersonsInfo 90 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• freetosee
    freetosee

IT,

I’ll try to find something in English, give some time I had a page somewhere. The link actually speaks (humorously) about Mr. Patermann who continuing to be involved in the matter of JW receiving greater privileges and status, even though he is a pensioner now. He has much of the WT literature, subscribes the WT &A! mags and keep himself updated with the WT teaching. Also he has endless files on JW matters and cases. Remember he was never a JW. The first time I spoke to him I thought this is what an elder should be like. It is an encouraging article I thing, because here is someone who has been involved for so many years and does not quit because his duty(time) is over, but it has become so important to him so that he keeps criticizing the WT policies before the high court.

Freetosee

• Mr. Kim
    Mr. Kim

The only bad "thing" I can clearly see is that a lot of innocent, well meaning people will be thrown in with the sick bastards and have to go through a lot of pain and suffering. But then, I think, are these not the same people that just stand by or in most past cases stood by and done NOTHING when they should stand up and MAKE change in the Borg Org?

• AndersonsInfo
    AndersonsInfo

I certainly agree with you, Mr. Kim, but just for the record I'd like to share some information I located when I was preparing the package of material about child sexual abuse in the WT organization that went to the Governing Body in 1993. (See my story at http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/6/113492/1.ashx)
    Harry Peloyan (Awake! editor) and I were very concerned about the number of people falsely accused of molestation because some Witness leaders said in defense that research has shown that many people lie about being molested. However, attitudes changed when I located the following facts: (Sorry, I can't remember offhand the name of the book where I found the information without doing some research.)
    Governmental authorities state that 95% of all accusations of child sexual abuse are true. Interestingly, why we can have faith in this number is because 95% of all the accused ADMIT to the molestation. Of course, no one wants to be part of the 5% accused who are not guilty, but the information I read stated that of the 5% innocent people accused, many of the so-called victims were identified by the authorities as disgruntled rebellious teenagers or kids manipulated by a parent in a nasty divorce.
    When I was heavily involved in my research in the matter of molestation by a Witness of a Witness child, I never heard of false charges, just that there weren't two witnesses to the abuse so the elders dismissed the accusation. If the accusation went to the authorities, my sources told me that the Witness child was usually vindicated.
    If anybody has some conflicting information to add, I would appreciate hearing it.
    Barbara

• ButtLight
    ButtLight

I didnt read everyones posts, but i dont think i have ever seen this show!!!!! I tried to find it on the net with no success. Someone had mentioned it keeps getting pulled down. Anyone know where i can go to see it?

• tall penguin
    tall penguin

"When I was heavily involved in my research in the matter of molestation by a Witness of a Witness child, I never heard of false charges, just that there weren't two witnesses to the abuse so the elders dismissed the accusation."
    When I once brought up my concerns about the molestation issue to my local elders, one of them proceeded to tell me of a case he knew of where a mother used her child to falsely accuse a brother of molesting her because he broke up with the mother. The elder used this experience to "show" me that not all the accusations were real. Stupidly I believed him. Of course, it didn't matter about the rest of the cases because "Jehovah will work it out in his own due time." Can't believe I fell for that crap. Oh wait, I guess I didn't. I'm here now. :)
    tall penguin

• AndersonsInfo
    AndersonsInfo

I know of some people who would be happy to mail out a DVD copy of the Dateline program to those who want one. PM me and I'll supply contact information.
    Barbara

• loveis
    loveis

http://www.wtmedia.org/dateline1a.wmv

http://www.wtmedia.org/dateline1b.wmv

Of course, in all fairness you must update that the 2 lawsuits referred to in the program, brought by Erica Garza and Holly Brewer, were both eventually dismissed in favor of the WTS, as well as a third one that was filed after the program aired (Heidi Meyer).

• drew sagan
    drew sagan

Let me take this opportunity to really thank you Barbera for what you have done. It takes courage to do what you have done, especially when it means the loss of contact with friends and family. The funny thing is that I never really gave much attention to the whole child abuse situation in the congregations untill today. Something finally dawned upon me. I was only 14 years old when I was invited to the Kingdom Hall. My parents where gracious enough to let the Witnesses take their child and convert him, without ever even making one attempt to even get to know them. Looking back I am utterly shocked that this was the case. My mother simply didn't have the will to stop me from what I wanted to do at that point in my life, but even then I can't help but think that both sides lacked responsiblity at that time, more so the Witnesses in my opinion.
    The reason I bring this all up is simple, how many young people are in these congregations totally unprotected? I was 14 when I was invited with NOT ONE FAMILY MEMBER PRESENT at the Hall! These people are willing to take other peoples children and convert them to their disgusting form of religion without even having proper protection from child molesters.
    Today I make my stand, no more Watchtower in my life. I'm done with these people.

• Anitar
    Anitar

Thank you Babera for reminding us about Dateline. I absolutely agree that the WT is an organization of whitewashed graves, however, I don't believe any of this will lead to actual policy change. The society might reach a point where they give the appearance of a policy change to the public. They'll proclaim that they have "changed," they will nod their heads and wag their tails, and the rank and file will be plugged back into the hive. But at least the seeds of doubt will be planted. I don't mean to rant, but I honestly believe that some of the people I have read about on Free Minds and the posters on JWD are some of the most intelligent, insightful and funny people I have ever heard. I particularly admire when people point to the Bible. I believe the best way to make change is to demonstrate by our own examlple. The Watchtower's greatest fear is the genuine love we have amongst eachother. We can prove them wrong without opening a single magazine. We can show them that true christanity needs no organization, hence we are not the mindless, soul-sucking aposates they think we are.

• serendipity
    serendipity

HI anitar, welcome!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit