May 28--Four years since Dateline's JW sex abuse program aired. Results?

by AndersonsInfo 90 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• freetosee
    freetosee

Yes, to us this is a bigger issue compared to the r&f, since they are trained not to dwell on ‘negative thinking’ rather to trust in Jehovah (don’t think, do nothing) and “incite each other to love and fine works”.

In most cases seeds of doubt (actually truth) grow very slowly. In my case I often wonder what took me so long. The question marks in the back of the mind work slowly and are paralyzed by the constant activities and great fear of ‘nowhere to go’ plus the shunning. Most JW I still speak to are more involved with their own problems and complain about the lack of love, careless elders and are occupied with their enmities among other brothers.

I believe mainly outside force will bring WT policy changes. That’s why we should do what we can to alert and educate the public, the media and authorities. If we don’t, hardy anyone else would.

• AndersonsInfo
    AndersonsInfo

happy dad: Very interesting post. It was that same Watchtower letter you mentioned which caused my husband, Joe, to resign his position as elder and to take his stand against the Watchtower. He reasoned like you did, that if there were no child abuse reporting laws in a country, WT would never allow a member to go to the authorities with an accusation. When Joe realized this, he could not in good conscience continue to support such a religion.
    Isn't it interesting that this organization worries about slandering someone accused of a crime, yet will quickly disfellowship anyone who warns congregation members about another member's criminal behavior, when disfellowshipping can be construed as just as serious a sin as slander since the very word "disfellowhipping" has come to mean defamation. It is incomprehensible to us that there is so much sympathy by the WT policy makers for the accused rather than for the victims.
    Why would the organization expect that a pedophile inform others about their sin when it has been proven that pedophiles are known repeat offenders; the average molester in a lifetime has had 300 victims, and wants to keep his/her activities a secret.
    freetosee: Thank you for explaining the situation in Germany as related to government officials being so well informed about JWs and their child abuse cover-up. Extremely interesting information, important enough to be filed and used.
    minimus: Good point. I'd like to add an observation as to why JWs don't talk about child abuse: If they did, they would be disfellowshipped! Every JW knows which way the wind blows, so they just bury their anxiety and keep believing only the best about the religion, as if that will make the accusations untrue.
    From my own point of view, denial is what keeps JWs in the organization. From early on I learned of awful unethical and immoral behavior within the organization. I lived only 30 miles from Bethel and dated Bethelites and knew lots about what went on in the inside, but yet I still kept zealously preaching. When I look back now, I surely should have left during the times I came face to face with information that should have proved to me that this was not God's organization, but I was in denial because I wanted the carrot--everlasting life--so badly. It took me nearly five years to get up the courage to leave even when I knew all the facts about the child abuse issue. In addition, it took over four years more before my husband left. And I had shared with him what I had learned in the Writing Dept. about sexual abuse since 1992.
    I suppose we just had too much of our lives invested in the religion to leave. Also, to exit would mean we were fools to have been taken in by such a sham for so long and nobody wants to face that. So maybe it might be better not to be so hard on the JWs who have not left the org. over child abuse. I have sympathy because when I look at them, I say, "There, but by the grace of God, go I." I don't mean that literally, but we've been there, done that and know exactly the way they feel about their investment.
    To be honest, if we had not been invited to live at Bethel and my eventually landing in the Writing Dept. where I inadvertently learned what I did about WT's hidden secrets, we probably still would be Witnesses. How's that for ignorant!
    I have to commend all of you who have left the organization because of having the good sense to investigate the doctrines, something it took us years to do even when it was all laid out in black and white. Why the foremost "apostate" on the Internet, Alan Feuerbacher, was a childhood friend, and, yet, despite our knowing what an honest and intelligent person he always has been, we still wouldn't sit up and take notice of what he was saying about the Watchtower. When I look back now, I'd say that we were just too busy and disinterested in the facts because as Witnesses our lives were going great and who in the world wants to disturb what we considered to be an excellent way of life.
    So knowing the mindset of the Witnesses, I agree with freetosee that it is up to us to continue to make known loud and clear the facts about the WT's child abuse policies. And remember, WT's child sexual abuse policies are their "Achilies heel" because the publicity is branding the Witness organization as the group whose name is synonomous with pedophiles.

Barb.

• serendipity
    serendipity
    It is incomprehensible to us that there is so much sympathy by the WT policy makers for the accused rather than for the victims.

Perhaps one or more of the WT policy makers have dark secrets, or know of the skeletons in the closet of various GB and other high officials, and they're protecting themselves....

• Highlander
    Highlander

I suppose we just had too much of our lives invested in the religion to leave. Also, to exit would mean we were fools to have been taken in by such a sham for so long and nobody wants to face that. So maybe it might be better not to be so hard on the JWs who have not left the org. over child abuse. I have sympathy because when I look at them, I say, "There, but by the grace of God, go I." I don't mean that literally, but we've been there, done that and know exactly the way they feel about their investment.

Excellent point,, I think most people have a hard time being accountable for each ones actions,, That being said it is difficult for people to admit they were fools or taken advantage, because doing so would make each individual accountable for allowing it to happen.

And yes, maybe we should be more understanding of those that are still 'in' and continue making known the FACTS of this religion we were once a part of.

• Big Tex
    Big Tex
    When I look back now, I surely should have left during the times I came face to face with information that should have proved to me that this was not God's organization, but I was in denial because I wanted the carrot--everlasting life--so badly. It took me nearly five years to get up the courage to leave even when I knew all the facts about the child abuse issue. In addition, it took over four years more before my husband left. And I had shared with him what I had learned in the Writing Dept. about sexual abuse since 1992.

You are very much like Nina. She saw the horrors the organization inflicted on a victim of child abuse and yet stayed for 13 years. She was determined to believe that anywhere there was that much shit, there must also be a pony. She truly thought there must be something good in there somewhere. Over and over again, she was shown that there was nothing good. And yet still she stayed. It took the dysfunction of this organization to touch her own children before she finally saw the truth.

This is what I think is one of the more twisted things the organization does to people. They call upon the better angels of our nature, and hold out the hope, one day, of something better. Not being satisfied with this, they further play with people's realities by playing further upon the innate desire to please and they use that guilt hook until it bleeds us dry. This, to me, is one of the saddest parts of the Witness experience.

Chris

• AndersonsInfo
    AndersonsInfo

Interesting thoughts, Chris. Speaking of playing with our realities, as Witnesses, Watchtower convinced us to criticize and abandon participation in democracy which offered us the Bill of Rights and the reality of a good life through hard work. We accepted theocracy in its place and gave total obedience to unrealistic ideas if not total fantasy. We worked hard for the theocracy but obtained nothing in return except more illusionary promises. We gave up our First Amendment rights without a blink of an eye. We were more than willing to do anything they asked of us for the good of a theocracy which really doesn't exist except in our heads.
    How's that for willingly being flimflamed by a book-selling religious organization that has so much power over its member's minds that they readily give up reality for fantasy and beg for more.
    Barb

• Pistoff
    Pistoff

I am here due to the sex abuse scandal; two of my sons know the truth of the matter and my wife knows as well; in my opinion, she knows what she will do but the social part of it is important to her.

All told, within 2 years it will be 5 of us that have left.

Here is the thing that kept me awake nights until I finally made the break: the same men who designed and kept this dunderheaded, corrupt, stupid and criminal policy ALSO ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR DOCTRINE.

Scary.

• Big Tex
    Big Tex
    How's that for willingly being flimflamed by a book-selling religious organization that has so much power over its member's minds that they readily give up reality for fantasy and beg for more.

I subscribe to the thought that says being tricked by this organization says more about the organization itself and the soul-less leaders and the power-hungry drones that act as their underlings, than it does those of us who truly believed the lie. Those of us who made it over the wall found within us the wherewithall to survive. Despite the fact many, if not most, were condemned, ridiculed and/or bullied or perhaps even given a figurative death sentence by this sect. Despite all of that, we are free.

And in the end, there will be an accounting, whether by a Power greater than our own, by society as a whole or by history. I submit that those whose ideals were victimized will be treated more kindly than those who cynically manipulated us.

Much in the same way as how the Soviet government is viewed by historians and sociologists. The blame for the horrors inflicted is assigned to the leadership, not the people.

• hamsterbait
    hamsterbait

What gets me down is that the gossip mill can spread any number of LIES and if the elders know they are lies they generally do NOTHING.

YOu just try going round telling people the facts of something you PERSONALLY know has happened and they will squash you like a bug.

That's why I always say that if the WTBTS takes somebody to court they definitely have something to hide.

HB

• IT Support
    IT Support

freetosee,

Thank you for your interesting reply.

Incidentally, the link to 'Berlin Online' points to an article in German. I don't speak German and tried running the article through a number of web translation engines, each of which was spectacularly, if uniquely, unsuccessful. :)

I don't suppose anyone has the skills and time to translate the article?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit