May 28--Four years since Dateline's JW sex abuse program aired. Results?

by AndersonsInfo 90 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

hi BT I believe most JWs bought the "apostate lies" line the WTS gave out. But there are thousands of JW families who have a family member who was abused and that abuse was left "in Jehovah's hands" Believing that their situation was unique may have allowed them to follow where the WTS led them. But after that sho I doubt many of those families continued to believe they were an exception. Many saw there was a pattern of secrecy and cover-ups. And I think it is in great part those families who had the best chance of getting out. Hmmm I might not be able to go door to door anymore but I wonder what people would think if a person in a wheelchair was giving something to them instead of begging for their money?

• Big Tex
    Big Tex

Howdy LL.

How's life in the Great White North?

Chris

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

nice sunny day here in Canada's capital

PS: I have restarted the Take Back your life series

• blondie
    blondie

It opened my eyes to that fact that my family's situation was not unique and that the WTS was lying about what they really did to handle abuse cases.

It was the straw that broke the camel's back in my case. Ironically, just after that, an abuse case came to light that had been handled recently and the victim and family were told not to go to the police...

Blondie

• sf
    sf
    Irregardless of what some might think of the program, it still provided powerful testimony to the horrors of abuse in a fringe religious sect that no one cares about. Shedding light on such a problem is never a bad thing.

Precisely. Shedding light translates into bringing awareness to our communities about JEHOVAH'S WITNESSES CHILDREN, whom no one seems to care about THEIR abuses. It's time that changes. We intend on doing what it takes to accomplish that change.

I'd love to see an update, or another similar program done by another news magazine program.

Email to DATELINE by many of YOU, stating you want to see an update due to the last four years of more people telling their stories after watching the first program, may perhaps produce those results.

The NAPA VALLEY court cases [ http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&rls=GGLG,GGLG:2005-35,GGLG:en&q=napa+valley+jehovah%27s+witnesses+molestation ] are coming up soon and we plan on making DATELINE well aware of how vital it is that they be present. I also plan on working more territories relating these updates.

If you want these results, you must do the footwork to produce them. Emailing is simple and painless footwork. Please consider it.

Thank you.

sKally

"Most are not aware of how close they were/ are to success when they/ we gave/ give up" THOMAS EDISON

• hawkaw
    hawkaw

What a wonderful post Barb.

At times, I do think a lot of folks miss the main point with respect to the media campaign and have treated it all like it was kinda not a big deal.

This media campaign has nothing to do with getting folks out of the JWs. If it does that is awesome and apparently many have left. I actually know of a few and I am not even a JW. But I always remember that most JWs are under the "spell". Thus, most JWs will close their minds to the media reports (which are part of the devil don't you know).

More importantly the media campaign vaccinated millions of people from joining a group who would prefer to silence the victims and protect their perps from the police in order to keep the congregations clean.

Here let me repeat that again ....

More importantly the media campaign vaccinated millions of people from joining a group who would prefer to silence the victims and protect their perps from the police in order to keep the congregations clean.

Now a lot of people know just who is knocking on their door and what exactly this JW "truth" truly stands for.

The media events also allowed survivors to have a voice and it is wonderful to watch survivors go on TV with no fear and talk about their issues to help them bring closure. It's also wonderful watching whitleblowers come forward (even in the shadows of a CBC documentary (snicker)) and lay it all out.

Most importantly, the media plan attracted the American Lawyers in the American Legal System. That's the big key folks. Nail these bastards in the pocket books to get them to change their policies or else. And sometime in the near future, I predict Kim Norris and the gang will get a few big wins. That will definitely create some serious press play and even more people will be vaccinated from this dangerous cult.

I wonder at times when I read this board if people actually realize what we have accomplished.

Besides Dateline there have been some really hard hitting pieces by the AP; the NY Times - Laurie Goodstein; the Canadian, British, German, Australian, Dutch and on and on it goes news magazine shows; there was the CNN hit (while CNN still had some ratings); there was the CBS smackdown; and; lots of of local newspaper, radio and TV reports in Canada and the USA.

They were all great pieces and very acurate - thanks to Bill, Barb et. al. providing the producers/writers with the proper understanding of JWism. Why, just watching Bob McKeown holding on to the elder's secret green handbook (Pay Attention to the Flock) must have sent Ken Little into the bathroom to change his Depend undergarment.

Obviously much more media is needed as the JW pedophile issue is not a monster media story as say the Catholic Church scandal. Yet, for people who have little money, Bill and Barb et. al. have done an excellent job promoting this issue.

You should be very proud of your accomplishments.

Whatever you guys do going forward it is imperative that the Silentlambs webs site stays up and running. That is a very important tool that should not disappear while you are dealing with this pedophile issue.

hawk

• hawkaw
    hawkaw

It's also sunny in Canada's former capital where the Rideau Canal and St. Lawrence River meet.

• minimus
    minimus

I hate to have to agree with Joker. I don't see (unfortunately) that this issue is a major problem for the Society. I believe that ANYONE that is effected by abuse issues will gravitate toward this type of thing in the Organization. But, honestly, I don't see this as a major issue to active JWs.

• sf
    sf

I just submitted feedback/ mail to CHRIS HANSEN'S (TO CATCH A PREDATOR) BLOG [ Submitting to their blogs is more effective because these reporters read their blogs as opposed to employee's in charge of opening email submitted to the show; chances are the reporter will never see the mail addressed to them...please keep this in mind ]:

Dear Mr. Hansen,

You are a hero. This is how many of us in my community view you sir.

Back in May 2002, DATELINE aired a program on the growing problem of child sexual abuse in the Jehovah's Witnesses religious organization.

Silentlambs.org is the organization modeled much after S.N.A.P. This websites owner and Barbara Anderson were featured on that show. They were (disfellowshipped) 'excommunicated' due to their whistleblowing of this organizations policies on covering up abuse and not reporting it to police.

This summer the NAPA VALLEY, CALIF. cases of child abuse in this very religion will be finally going to trial. [ http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&rls=GGLG,GGLG:2005-35,GGLG:en&q=napa+valley+jehovah%27s+witnesses+molestation ]

Both Barbara and myself have emailed DATELINE to urge an UPDATE on the show that aired back in May 2002, and to be there at these trials to cover the progress for the victims.

My mail to you today is in hopes that you can, perhaps, get the ball rolling on this update.

If I may...these particular children seem to be dangerously forgotten by our society. Most seem focused on the Catholic Church abuse and internet predators, which of course, is also dangerous. Yet it is time that reporters in your position start attending and addressing these forgotten children and their horror that they live every day.

This organization does what the CC does; covers up abuse and instructs its leaders of the congregations not to report it to police or members of the congregation. As long as they "repent", they are allowed to continue to do door to door preaching work and be around kids in their congregations without the parents knowledge.

The last two weeks, I've gone out door to door in my town where the two Kingdom Halls are, talking about this abuse and distributing fliers of awareness. The response has been fairly good, yet many don't fully grasp the danger these particular children live with and through.

I'm asking you to help change this. DATELINE can help be a sound voice for these children and parents with children who may potentially enter into this organization unaware of these coverups and "reporting abuse policies".

Thank you very much for your time and great devotion to the children of our great Nation and children around the world who fall prey to these internet predators.

Sincerely, __

Remember to tune into Wednesday nights DATELINE program ongoing series TO CATCH A PREDATOR.

"Most are not aware of how close they/ we were/ are to success when they/ we gave/ give up" THOMAS EDISON

• wednesday
    wednesday

as I said it was that program that gave me the courage to find this board and begin seeking out more info about jws. I'm very grateful for what barbara and bill have done, (and danny too-do not want to ever forget danny)

weds.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit