What Are You Paying For Gas Prices Now?

by minimus 64 Replies latest jw friends

• foreword
    foreword

Right now there's no shortages of crude, not for a few decades yet...it is a created situation, they just refuse to pump more and/or refine more to keep prices high....now that's a given...LOL

• juni
    juni
    Will you stop posting cheep petrol prices, it's depressing

mtbatoon, I was thinking. In Britain don't you have extremely high petrol tax? Also don't you have less miles to travel for work, different choices for mass transit? Fewer people on the road overall?

I guess my point is this: The US has never met the needs of its vast population in the way of mass transit options. Some bigger cities have done a good job in this area, but people still have to drive quite a distance to work or it's not practical for them to reach the mass transit from their homes. We do have what you call "Park and Ride" areas where you can park your car in a lot free of charge and then hop onto the bus and it will take you downtown. Atleast in some areas - mainly around Milwaukee and Madison.

Places like Los Angeles which are highly populated it's a real mess.

So we are consuming a lot more fuel than you guys. Thank god it is less than what you're paying. Comparing the situation in the US to Europe and other places is like comparing apples to oranges. Very different scenario.

This country fell flat on its face - 30 decades ago we knew we had a huge problem w/needing mass transit. It's never taken off to the point of efficiency.

Juni

• heathen
    heathen

minimus-- I assure my concern is only for cheaper fuel . The government won't do anything with hemp because they are not willing to explore the possiblities and continue to give the lame excuse that people would enjoy smoking pot too much , of course we all know they main reason is that it would put a dent in the oil industry . It's been proven that hemp oil burns way cleaner than the fossil fuel . Hemp is also a great supply of pulp for paper and you can also make hemp clothing . It's a wonderful plant that is deemonized for no good reason .

• sass_my_frass
    sass_my_frass

$1.35 a litre. You guys don't know how lucky you are.

• Fe2O3Girl
    Fe2O3Girl

I like this game! Last time I filled up with diesel, I paid GBP1.02/L, which is USD6.87/US Gallon.

• Sad emo
    Sad emo

And when you think that not too many years back, diesel was deliberately priced lower because it was 'greener' so the government encouraged everyone to buy diesel cars.

juni - My friends who moved to the US from the UK said that your gas is very cheap because although you don't pay such high fuel tax, you do pay higher taxes on your earnings than we do. Is that right?

• greendawn
    greendawn

The old imperial gallon used in the UK before the litre was introduced is equivalent to 1.2 US (liquid) gallons. Some older ppl still think in terms of gallons.

Someone is making a lot of money out of these petrol prices which are the triple of what they were in 2002.

• greendawn
    greendawn

In the UK petrol prices vary between 90 to 99 pence per litre with 95 pence being the most usual price, $3 per gallon in the US equates to about 45 pence per litre so it's less than half the cost.

• Fe2O3Girl
    Fe2O3Girl

This is interesting:

http://www.whatprice.co.uk/car/petrol-prices.php#petrol

There is a graph at the bottom of this webpage showing UK petrol price variation over the past 5 years, which won't copy into my post.

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

High gas prices might at long last persuade the Boys in Detroit to design fuel efficient vehicles and not gas guzzlers

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit