Do ex-witness forums do more harm than good?

by mentalist 55 Replies latest jw friends

• SickofLies
    SickofLies

Information by its nature is neither good or bad, its what you do with it. However, lack of information is almost always bad. So given those two options I'd chose to be informed. Therefore, this board and others like it serve a useful purpose. What posible harm could come out of them? I mean their are no 'pro' witness threads out there, but if their were I'm sure their would be just as many problems there as their are here. IMHO.

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

Look at the difference in growth rates between countries with and without internet access. It is forums like these that have led to the decline in JWs in countries with Internet Access, and will be largely responsible for the eventual demise of the Watchtower Society. A dead cult is a good cult, so I think these forums are great.

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

mentalist;

as you can see, you have been welcomed here.

Having said that, please stop and think - what if the situation were reversed? What i mean is, would congregations of JWs be better? No way, you might say. Exactly! Those same congos put up the most difficult barriers to association. Yet here, on one of the dbs (and the best, eh?), you have been welcomed.

More than that, you havre been welcomed by seeing responses of people who are sharing their heartfelt experiences with you.

Curiously, you've expressed nothing. Why is that?

Come one, say something. What's your own take on your question?

• Rabbit
    Rabbit

Aw, Gumby, thanks. I was just passing on something I learned here as a newbie.

Mentalist, I do hope you stay and ask lots of questions. There are people here who are real whizzes on the Bible & WT doctrines. I'll also bet someone will be experienced in practically any situation you may have had or know about.

There is also a web site http://www.reexamine.org/ which is not a discussion board. It is basically a library of WTS books & magazines from the beginning with Russell thru the present. You can read there in privacy. It is set up to allow anyone to see how the WT doctrines & prophecies have flip-flopped, changed and been abandoned. You can read things there that are secret writings that only elders are allowed to see. "Shepherding the Flock," is one such "How to" book that tells elders stuff you aren't allowed to see. Are ya' curious ? Read it on that site.

The WT basically argues with -- itself !

For instance, the blood transfusion ban first came about right after WW2. Since then, over 20 changes have been made over 'what fractions JW's could take' it is very confusing. My Mom died, refusing a blood transfusion, following what she believed was the "Current Light ™ ," what she didn't know was she could have taken Hemoglobin and be 'OK' as a JW. The Hospital Liaison Committee elder either did not know or lied about what the WT's New Light ™ actually was on the matter.

Either way -- it killed my Mom. There is a lot of hurt and anger inside me, because of that. Do not take my word for it. Read what the WT says -- they say. The WT contradicts itself. That is a huge thing for me to say -- prove me wrong. Read.

I know how scary thinking 'outside' mother WT's box can be...

Rabbit

• mentalist
    mentalist

Havent got time to reply to everything but just wanted to say that Rabbit sounds like helluva guy/gal.Thankyou all for taking the time to respond.

• Frog
    Frog
    i've seen people saved from suicide from ex witness forum contact.

Wow candidly, that's really powerful stuff...I've no doubt that that is asbsolutely true. x

• Frog
    Frog

btw, i think it's a bit of an odd & vague question to ask regular JWD posters who clearly keep coming back for more!!

also...I've met some really great e-friends through this forum who have been a tremendous support & comfort to me during difficult times x

• unclebruce
    unclebruce
    Do ex-witness forums do more harm than good?

My thoughts? No thought required Bozo!

That has to be dumbest question ever asked anywhere in a universe of very stupid enquiries.

unclebruce

Watchtower Society: Try as you might, you cannot hide the truth!

• mentalist
    mentalist

What a rude man.

• unclebruce
    unclebruce

No you're the rude one dummy.

I just gave a thug the bums rush from the recovery room (ever heard of righteous indignation?

unclebruce

ps: now who's the nut pulling my chain lol.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit