Do ex-witness forums do more harm than good?

by mentalist 55 Replies latest jw friends

• itsallgoodnow
    itsallgoodnow

You've gotta wonder, don't you, when post #3 calls the forum "sad". How pathetic!

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere
    Seems from extensive reading on a couple of these forums that many threads descend into personal and bitter attacks on individuals.Just a sad observation.

This is a side-effect of freedom. Jehovahs Witnesses are sometimes shocked or offended by true freedom of speech, something they are not used to seeing or dealing with.

• jgnat
    jgnat

We could always redirect mentalist to Star's "nice" thread.

• gumby
    gumby
    Seems from extensive reading on a couple of these forums that many threads descend into personal and bitter attacks on individuals.Just a sad observation.

Seems to me from being a witness for 39 years that discussions about others in the congregation sometimes end up in malicious, backbiting, slanderous gossip. Have you mentalist ....ever heard of witnesses talking about each other before...you know, gossiping? The society even realises witnesses gossip from the countless articles warning against such activity. People are people and they are going to argue and disagree.......even jehovah's Witnesses......except they do so more BEHIND the backs of those they talk about, not to their face as ones do here. Gumby

• Rabbit
    Rabbit
    Spacing and spelling...Is that too much to ask?

'Is it too much to ask'... why that is important right now ? What is this topic about anyway ?

Meanwhile, back at the ranch...

Mentalist, when I first came here 2 years ago, I was in a 'crises' caused by the writings of the WTS. The writings of free people here helped me immensely. I thought I was the only fading X-JW in the world with my unique problems at the time. Imagine my surprise...and sadness to find I wasn't unique at all -- there were and are thousands of victims of the WT !

Since you haven't said much about your beliefs, I cannot know why you are here. I can tell you it is a Disfellowshipping offense for you and I to be here. I am not DF - yet. You likely have some questions about your faith...something may have shaken you up some. Maybe, some insistent doubts are nagging your WT trained mind & conscience.

Keep reading. You'll find other that have the same thoughts as you do.

I had never seen or spoke to another 'X' JW. I knew they were out there, according to the WT they would be killers, drunkards, thieves, all of them immoral (WT standards). Basically, they would be crappy, burnt out, deceived Satan worshippers who would be supremely unhappy condemned to death by their lovely God of love. Right ?

When I first came here, I half expected a demon to leap out of the screen -- into my neck, StarGate style! After my personal 'crises' settled down, because of the help and understanding I received here, I began to see the attitudes of a few others here that bothered me. How ?

Some were fighting and attacking each other. I saw that just like you did. I was confused. People were mad and angry... I certainly noticed that was quite different from what I experienced at the KH. Has that been your experience, too ?

I wrote a post similar to yours where I said 'everyone seemed to be so sad & depressed'. A few were sorta nasty to me about that observation. But, others that had recovered more from their damage in the WT understood me.

They explained to me, like I will do to you now...people at xjw boards are all at different stages of grief, damage, shunning, doubt and even belief in a God or higher power. In addition to that, we are all learning -- for the first time -- to be individuals, to really figure out our own lives and values -- to think for ourselves.

That's not easy for anyone coming out of a "high control" organization whether it is the military, prison, strict up-bringing or even a cult religion. Plus, we are bringing along our own baggage, too. There are people among JW's who have emotional or mental issues...when they come 'out' they still have to deal with those problems. Most of them do better once they let enough time pass by -- and they get help and support from people 'who have been there' or professional help. I was successfully helped with my depression thru therapy -- something that was highly discouraged by the WT at the time.

So, I say, stick around. Try to see people here as individuals -- we will NOT all be the same uniform people the WT likes their followers to be. We are people who have been hurt thru the teachings of the WT and we are all dealing with anger over our hurt. We are going to make some mistakes.

For good or bad... we are trying to find our own way.

Welcome !

Rabbit (of the shunned class)

• gumby
    gumby

Rabbit....why I believe that was the most beautiful and profound post I've ever read by you. Well done buddy, well done!

Gumby

• seesthesky
    seesthesky

there aint no personal attacks on his forum - only a damn fool would think that!

• mkr32208
    mkr32208

Does AA do any good? The fact is that if you've been a member of this or any cult for any length of time you NEED a support group! Or you're in denial it's just that simple to me!

• serendipity
    serendipity

HI mentalist, welcome to the forum!

I think that ex-JW forums do help people. However, if they enable people to ruminate and stay stuck in a bitter period of their lives, then the forum is not helping those people.

• uninformed
    uninformed

Run Rabbit Run!

Good Post, Ditto.

Mentalist:

I am new but have enjoyed being here. Get to blow off a little steam at the Whore on the beast and get to read some profound thoughts from some great minds.

I know of some that have been here for a lot of years and if they are still alive in 15 or so more years they will be doing the same thing as they are now, helping some poor devil come out from under the oppression of the WT. (New World notwithstanding)

But there are a bunch of jerks here too. I guess that a few of them have thought the same about me.

Hey, its helps yur spellin and typin too.

U

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit