The Watchtower Society killed my website

by Elsewhere 185 Replies latest jw friends

• inbyathread
    inbyathread

Has anybody contacted Drew Marshal yet? Quotes should be able to set up a contact for our aposafriend. The site has been suspended (again).

• Gill
    Gill

Thank you lilybird! Onwards and upwards!

I was thinking of getting a Danny Haszard T shirt made up and now I'm thinking of getting a Elsewhere T shirt also.

Summers coming! Lots of apostasising to do!!

• Oroborus21
    Oroborus21

Howdy,

Freedom of Speech is a right of the Private Individual against GOVERNMENT infringement. Not a right or protection against the infringement by Private Individuals (which a corporation is).

The WTS has the right to protect its copyrighted materials and private individuals have the right to make limited use of such copyrighted individuals in the U.S. (per the Doctrine of Fair Use) and in Canada (per the doctrine of Fair Dealing?) and elsewhere under similar exceptions.

Anyone desiring to make use of copyrighted materials should inform themselves of the rules and play by them. (Check out EFF's guidelines or elsewhere on the Net for info.) That is only one safeguard, unfortunately, because as we all know, even acting squarely within the bounds of what is permitted by law, will not prevent either a bogus complaint being leveled against a web-page hoster, web-page owner, or a copyright infringement lawsuit from being filed.

My recommendation to anyone with a webpage or forum that intends to make limited use of copyrighted materials is to discuss with your Web Page hoster, your needs and their policies and whether they understand and will support your right to make limited lawful use of such materials. The majority may not but some will. I use Freeservers (About Web Services) because they have always supported me in any contentions that I have had in the past, including on one project website of mine (its a secret) which has received numerous complaints.

If the web-hosting company won't support you then shop around until you find one that will. In the alternative, if you can afford it, you can easily set up your own web-server (but a small operation like that might be subject to DOS attacks so be prepared to deal with these) - and of course will require some amount of technical savvy on your part or whoever is administering it for you.

Re: Elswhere's site, curiously my check of the Internet Archive wouldn't pull up any of the detail of his pages but the links posted by Unclebruce, for some reason work. Anyway, I would suspect that the major complaint of the WTS was the making available of the Flock book in its entirety and perhaps also the child custody pamphlet. The posting or making of either of these two documents (publications) in their entirety and without any type of editorializing seems to be a clear copyright violation.

Next time only reprint portions of such documents and add your own notations or commentary regarding the material and you would probably have no problems as far as copyright is concerned - though if your web-host provider is weak-knee'd they might cave under a complaint anyway.

Also regarding formal notice, most Web Host companies have an email for abuse reports and this is sufficient for a complainant to file a complaint about copyright infringement. The formal letter (like the one in the thread above) is only a prerequisite of filing an actual legal complaint in court for copyright infringement.

In the event of a copyright lawsuit being filed against you, you may wish to review whether your state has an ANTI-SLAPP law. See this page: http://www.casp.net/menstate.html

Such a law would be exceedingly beneficial to you in a defense against a copyright infringement lawsuit.

I am currently taking certain counter-measures of my own, one of which I will disclose to the forum at a later date if successful, due to what seems to be this new aggressive tactic of the WTS to shut down sites which they view as infringing on copyright.

best wishes,

Eduardo

• Jourles
    Jourles

Do not thee look forward to the end of this system of things,

but rejoice in the demise of the WTS by this system of things.

I don't think Jehover is gonna take it on the chin anymore for the sake of his organization. This system has grown much too powerful for him to provide protection any longer. Maybe Pedro can't help out?

• Oroborus21
    Oroborus21

By the way, I forgot to add that the law (I think it is the Digital Millennium Rights Act) or something like that (have to check on it) protects ISPs and (maybe also) webpage hosting companies from lawsuits in many cases just because they are providing the means and medium that the info is getting to the public. The underlying copyright violator however is still liable. This info might be brought to the attention of any web hostingcompanies if they don't already know it, and might ease their minds regarding their own liability.

-Eduardo

• Jourles
    Jourles

Oro,

The WTS has the right to protect its copyrighted materials and private individuals have the right to make limited use of such copyrighted individuals in the U.S. (per the Doctrine of Fair Use) and in Canada (per the doctrine of Fair Dealing?) and elsewhere under similar exceptions.

Would you mind please doing a simple comparison between the BoE letters and http://www.internalmemos.com? Nothing extravagent, but just a simple opinion between the two? How is it that internalmemos.com can get away with posting copious amounts of internal communications meant only for certain employees(and then charging for access!), but no one here can do the same with the BoE letters? Are not the BoE letters merely internal instructions for the elders? What is the difference other than taking it to court and finding out what a judge would say?

• John Doe
    John Doe

Guys, you'll still be able to see his site for a bit. Just google davidgladden, then google will have a link to their cached version of the site. I don't know when it'll be updated though, so if you want anything you'll have to get it soon.

• anewme
    anewme

Maybe the JWD and its webowner should apply for a license as a RELIGION!!!
    Then the format and website and content would be protected under the rights of an authorized and recognized religion.

???????????

• beezknees
    beezknees

WHOEVER AT WATCHTOWER IS READING THIS THREAD -THIS IS THE LEAST OF YOUR WORRIES.. IS THIS THEOCRATIC WARFARE..CAN U COUNT YOUR TIME?

• carla
    carla

Elsewhere - If you're interested, I've just been on your site and it's up and running beautifully! ------------Not anymore! 2:07 central, Wed.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit