Why do women make up the majority?

by daniel-p 124 Replies latest jw friends

• daniel-p
    daniel-p

I want to pose what is to me an interesting question:
    Why is there a preponderance of women in religion? I think we all agree that females do make up the majority of pretty much every religion, including JW's, but why?
    I am asking this question with a view to possibly helping my wife who is still all wrapped up in the jdub mindset.

• Legolas
    Legolas

Because men have better things to do!

• Legolas
    Legolas

Damn it...LOL..I clicked out too soon.

I should have listened to my hubbie when he told me a thousand times to stop talking to them that religion is full of sh*t!

• jstalin
    jstalin

Because (most) women are inherently more emotional than men, and religion is an emotion-based activity.

• Sad emo
    Sad emo

2 Timothy 3:1-7

we're taken captive in our weak-willed, sinful condition by puffed up male false teachers who only appear to be godly

• M.J.
    M.J.

It's very true. I wonder about the answer as well. Could it be the emotional factor associated with religion connecting more with women? Or the maternal instinct? More deeply seated need to find a source of security?

• Jourles
    Jourles

Are you for sure on that majority part? The local Big Ten college here in town also has a higher ratio of women to men -- does that mean women outnumber men in the workplace and hold more degrees than men as well?

Did the WTS ever publish numbers relating to how many women there were compared to men??

• Sad emo
    Sad emo

... another one hitting the 'submit' button too quick!

Plus what jstalin says, women in general are more emotional whereas men tend to be more rational/logical - therefore they are more likely to want the hard evidence than trust on faith.

• daniel-p
    daniel-p

Jourles,
    It depends what kind of college it is. The college I go to offers more technical degrees like engineering, architecture, etc. and males are the majority like 55%.
    I am pretty sure that women are the majority in just about any religion... my question is why?

• Justitia Themis
    Justitia Themis

I suspect there are more women. I can not verify this statement for you, but an ex-Bethelite friend said that a Bethelite brother put the ratio at about 1 male to 10 females.

I disagree with the prior posts regarding emotion. Throughout history, women have led the most hopeless lives; therefore, hapiness in an afterlife is all they have. Men have had the luxury of pursuing other endeavors. I suspect as gender opportunities balance, women will become much less interested in religion.

And, if you consider the hugh Muslim world, it is hardly a bastion of male logic. But again, there is an element of hopelessness there also.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit