Why do women make up the majority?

by daniel-p 124 Replies latest jw friends

• funkyderek
    funkyderek

Justitia Themis:

You need to stop; you are embarrasing yourself. You are aware, I hope, that the WORLD FAMOUS anthropologist, Margaret Meade, did most of your research in the 60s/70s?

I think TD's post on Margaret Mead's work in the 1930s said most of what I would have said, but to reiterate: Mead's observations were actually of a very recent change in the culture due to extraordinary circumstances, and Mead never made the claim that there was no physiological basis for gender roles. Moreover, she never made the claim - as you did - that there was a tribe in which "the women hunt while the men stay home and tend to the children". Perhaps, to avoid embarrassing yourself you should check your sources and read some more up to date work on the subject.

LDH:

Hand expressing is possible but probably difficult and certainly inferior to breastfeeding

Cite your sources, just like you asked Justitia to do.

Do I really need to? Really? I thought it was common sense that expressing breast milk by hand and feeding it to the child later from a receptacle is inferior to direct breastfeeding. I think you just misunderstood me as your comment "I always preferred hand expressing because pumps don't work for me" seems to bear out. If not, I'm sure I can find sources to back up my claims (the ones I actually made, that is).

Contrary to your beliefs, many women can and do enjoy hunting. http://www.womenhunters.com

That is not in any way contrary to my beliefs.

And I'm surprised you don't see why it might be offensive to equate women with 'weaker vessels.'

I did no such thing. Certainly, women are in general physically weaker than men. In the past, they would have been called emotionally weaker as well, although many would now call their higher sensitivity emotional strength. Either way, it's quite clear that men and women are very different.

JT, Margaret Mead probably had an ulterior motive in citing those experiences. She was probably a lesbian. LOL. What else would a *woman* be doing in a field dominated by men?

She gave the results of her observations. Later studies showed some of those observations to be flawed. She was a dedicated and renowned scientist and I don't think for one moment that she had an ulterior motive. That cannot be said of many of those who cite - and misinterpret - her work. She was married at least twice, and while it's possible she may have been a closet lesbian, that of course has no bearing on her findings - nor does the fact that she was a woman. It's not uncommon for women to work in the field of anthropology. But then, I suspect you know all that, and are just trying to build a straw man - or woman - instead of dealing with what I actually wrote.

MsMcDucket:

Funkyderek, for real, for real I took an archeology class on this stuff. It talked about maternalistic and paternalistic tribes. I, also, have seen documentaries about this type of culture too. Maybe, you should take a couple of archeology classes, and then it wouldn't be so hard for you to accept.

Perhaps, before I do, you could read what I actually wrote, instead of what you think I mean. That would save both of us a lot of trouble.

LDH:

C'Mon back in FD, the water's fine. "By iron so iron is sharpened."

But it can get dull hacking away at old rope.

• MsMcDucket
    MsMcDucket
    Perhaps, before I do, you could read what I actually wrote, instead of what you think I mean. That would save both of us a lot of trouble.

I wasn't trying to be mean-spirited. I'm sorry if you took it that way. I ain't looking for any trouble. I got enough of that all ready.

Peace out, homie!

• zagor
    zagor

This thread is bound to attract controversy lol,

Anyhow I don't like the inferred premise of this question which implies that women are majority in religion including WTBS because of being easily deceived (a.k.a Eva syndrome) of course the question which begs for an answer is then: if that is true what does that tell about MEN who are or were part of organized religion?!?!? Do they also have some Eve gene? or is entire question overly simplistic.

One thing that many woman have and man usually lack is uninhibited urge to find meaning behind the obvious, which leads many of them to search further than most men who are mostly happy with their beer and latest football results. Unfortunately, that also means that many of them become victims of religious institutions who seek to exploit their initial curiosity by enslaving them through rules and regulations. It is much easier for a man to belong to a religion because there are many more opportunities that are mostly out of reach for his female counterparts.

Why women stay in many religions longer than man? In my own experience it is because most of them are much more faithful to the cause they chose than men, just like in a marriage men are more likely to go astray simply because they are lacking that particular dimension/virtue of sticking-to-itness.

• ballistic
    ballistic

I thought the "do women make good hunters" question was far more entertaining! Bloody handbags hurt though!

• Frannie Banannie
    Frannie Banannie

Could be any number of reasons.......

Religion doesn't have a ball in play and there are no scores, breasts or flashing behinds.

Notice the little internat'l symbols for male and female. Which one bears the cross and which one is obviously a "dickhead?" (nuff said)

Historically speaking, women are the ones who've been left behind to pray for their husbands and sons who've gone off to war or battle to be killed and never return.

• ballistic
    ballistic
    Which one bears the cross and which one is obviously a "dickhead?"

Frannie - I NEVER thought I would hear you say something like THAT!!!!

• Frannie Banannie
    Frannie Banannie
    Frannie - I NEVER thought I would hear you say something like THAT!!!!

(holds Ballistic in hammerlock and gives noogies)

I've said it before, Ball. Besides.....I'm not the one who created those little gender specific internat'l symbols.

Frannie

• ballistic
    ballistic
    Besides.....I'm not the one who created those little gender specific internat'l symbols.

Are you saying I'm a "sex-symbol" Frannie?

• Frannie Banannie
    Frannie Banannie
    Are you saying I'm a "sex-symbol" Frannie?

Yes, Ball...........just not gender-specific.

Frannie (of the ducking and running for cover class)

• Justitia Themis
    Justitia Themis

Dear FD:

think TD's post on Margaret Mead's work in the 1930s said most of what I would have said, but to reiterate: Mead's observations were actually of a very recent change in the culture due to extraordinary circumstances, and 1) Mead never made the claim that there was no physiological basis for gender roles. Moreover, she never made the claim - as you did - that there was a tribe in which 2)"the women hunt while the men stay home and tend to the children". Perhaps, to avoid embarrassing yourself you should check your sources and read some more up to date work on the subject.

1) Ms. Mead didn't make the claim because she died before a scientific basis to make the statment was discovered. As I said in a prior post, the human genome has been mapped; there are no codons that are male or female specific. That means that every possible gene a man has, a women has. There is no gene on the y chromosome that is not on a X chromosome.

For those of you who believe the bible, this IS in agreement, as Woman (she did not become Eve until AFTER the apple), was a CLONE of Man (Adam). Woman means female-man. Our bodies are exactly the same. Men, did you know you start out female and then later morph into a male? We even have the same genitalia. If you pull out a woman's uterus, it hangs into a penis. If you pull out a woman's ovaries, they hang into gonads. During sex, a woman's uterus erects, just like a penis. Every hormone and man has, a woman has.

In adddition, the Hebrew word translated "complement" is Ezer. It has a meaning such as a business partner. No where does it infer rank; business partners are equal, even if they handle different aspects of the business (family). Additionally, the same word is used to describe Jehovah in relationships. He is hardly the submissive one in such circumstances. Jesus' wife is a co-equal and co-regent.

I DO believe there are differences in how women and men ACT. However, I agree with Ms. Meade that these differences occur because of social programming (nurture), not nature. From the moment we place a boy in blue and a girl in pink we are socializing them. We lower our voices with boy babies and say, "Aren't you a BIG guy!" and we raise our voices with little girls and say, "Aren't you a cutie!" And so it begins....

FD: If there is a physiological basis for gender roles, please state the physiological basis, and cite your references, scholarly works only.

2) I think everyone here knows I was paraphrasing what I learned over several days in the Psychology class. I think everyone here knows the writer of the scholarly work posted was paraphrasing Ms. Meads' work.

I will not be responding to any more posts on this thread. It has become too nasty. FD, I hope you and I are around to speak in 20 years. It will be interesting to compare your opinions then.

Daniel-P: Regarding your love of furry animals...I arrived home last night to find my 6' 4", firefighter, husband's eyes red and swollen from crying all day. Our 15 year-old, 15 pound, Cockerpoo doggie had broken his leg, and needs surgery to fix it. He is old, and has had many health difficulties as of late...not sure he will pull out of this one. LOTS of guys had rather love the furry creatures than kill them! Most of them just aren't strong and powerful enough to admit it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit