Are we going to see a mass awakening?

by kairos 109 Replies latest jw friends

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

Sadly, most of the JWs I know are asking one another, "When will those [Catholics, Muslims, Hindus, Protestants, Jews, Atheists, Agnostics, evolutionists, Democrats, Republics, gays, etc] wake up and realize that our warship is da troof?!? Surely JW.borg and our litteratrash carts will cause a mass awakening!!"

• brandnew
    brandnew
    You said "troof" billy......mbwaaaaaaaa haaaa haaaaa haaa ! ! ! ! !!! !
  • done4good
    done4good

Most new ex-JWs tend to believe all of the R&F must see what they see...I know I did 9 years ago. The reality is, people really cannot see TTATT for what it is, since existentialism and cognitive dissonance prevent it.

Having said that, if we consider both of those mental blockades and what they are, we can see how the recent changes in the organization just might lead a good many to leave, (albeit, over time).

Existentialism deals with the fear of the unknown, or fear of things we cannot control, (like dying). With the WT continuing to water down its doctrine, most JWs simply don't "know" what they used to regarding many things that they used to have all of the answers for. The cost of staying to satisfy this innate need often can prove too costly, in the absence of something tangible doctrinally to believe in.

Many of the changes brought about recently bring into question many of the assumed norms regarding the "dignity" of worship, (think of using the KH for concerts and dances), not that there is anything wrong with these things, (all normal churches do them), but JW was supposed to be different. Not any more. The tacit message that is sent is that we are just like everyone else.

All of this adds to cognitive dissonance. In the mind of a JW, their religion is not supposed to be this way. A person can only handle so much cognitive dissonance before they tune out. JWs are now exposed to dissonance inducing material at every meeting. Something has to give.

The changes being made in the organization are in uncharted territory, (outside experts making them or not). There is no example jw.org can point to that demonstrates they have a model for success. The changes that are being made are clearly being made out of desperation, (or else why make them). All of those changes are superficial, and nothing is being done to address the actual core issues.

While I still firmly do not believe the organization is going anywhere soon, I do think it is in decline, and searching, (scrambling), for direction. The next several years are going to be very interesting.

d4g

• Wasanelder Once
    Wasanelder Once
    The Rank and File believe that every sound the GB makes is from Jehovah, even their farts are spirit directed. Sheesh!
  • kairos
    kairos

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/users/23415/done4good

thank you very much. very nice post.

I find myself imagining JWs watching these wild videos and thinking to themselves: "we must have the true religion".

If they aren't, why are they still in. I must admit, my research into cults/mind control is sorely lacking.

• mrquik
    mrquik
    As we know the lifeblood of this organization is money. Fewer and fewer of each successive generation in developed countries will be suckered into being fleeced. Our children & their children will leave; this is inevitable. It would be nice to live long enough to watch it die a slow death.
  • LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

I agree with the OP that the WTS cannot hide its history because of the internet.

The internet seems to have played a major role in helping people see 'the truth' for what it is.

But will that lead to 'a mass awakening'? I find that hard to believe.

• brandnew
    brandnew
    MASS EXODUS ! ! ! MASS EXODUS ! ! ! !
  • Vidiot
    Vidiot
    As far as I'm concerned, we are the exodus.
  • kairos
    kairos

In my area many older ones are dying. As many as 10 in the last two years and as many as 10 more could die ANYTIME.

How are JWs coping with the FACT that the very ones that studied with them, that told them we'd never grow old, etc are dying before their eyes?

Then add in JW'TV'ORG and all the major doctrinal changes. How long can they hold out?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit