• hubert
    hubert

bttt

Hubert

• DannyHaszard
    DannyHaszard

Jehovah's Witness teen's dad to sue
    Chicago Tribune, United States - 1 hour ago
    CALGARY, Alberta -- A grieving father says he will continue his fight against Jehovah's Witnesses and their prohibition of blood transfusions after a court ... RELIGION

Jehovah's Witness teen's dad to sue

Published March 10, 2006 CALGARY, Alberta -- A grieving father says he will continue his fight against Jehovah's Witnesses and their prohibition of blood transfusions after a court decision partially cleared the way for a wrongful death suit.

Lawrence Hughes filed the 2004 claim as executor of the estate of his daughter, Bethany, who died from acute leukemia in 2002 at age 17 after repeatedly refusing conventional treatment because of the faith's teaching.

A judge decided Hughes cannot proceed with claims against the Watch Tower Bible and Tract Society because the court cannot arbitrate religious dogma. But Hughes can continue suing lawyers Shane Heath Brady and David Miles Gnam, Witnesses who represented Bethany, her mother, Arliss, and the Watch Tower.

The judge said the lawyers were not in a position to advise Bethany objectively, so that she could make a free and informed decision.

• rebel8
    rebel8
    A judge decided Hughes cannot proceed with claims against the Watch Tower Bible and Tract Society because the court cannot arbitrate religious dogma. But Hughes can continue suing lawyers Shane Heath Brady and David Miles Gnam, Witnesses who represented Bethany, her mother, Arliss, and the Watch Tower.

1 sentence says he cannot sue the WT and the next says he can.

• jgnat
    jgnat

I am not comfortable sending money directly to Lawrence Hughes for this case, as noble as the cause may be. I have some alarms going off, and I want some assurances that this money will be used for the purposes intended. I would recommend that donors not send certified cheques directly to Lawrence Hughes.

Before I donate a penny I'd like to see:

• Proof that the account we are sending money to is a separate trust account set up by the bank that can only be used for the stated purpose.
    • Declaration to donors specifically how the money will be spent, possibly like the sample websites below.
    • A board of trustees is set up to manage the fund and account for it's expenditures.
    • Two signatures to remove money from the account.

http://www.cccc.org/contents.php?area=x&id=7500

http://www.childfind.ab.ca/news_Punky's_%20Picnic.htm

We have mechanisms in Canada to set up specific purpose trust funds, and any bank here can assist Lawrence in setting it up.

It does not cost $7,000 to set up a website. As rebel8 demonstrated, it can be done very cheaply, even free. There are free web hosts out there.
  • rebel8
    rebel8

Lawrence, I hope you don't think this is rude of me....but I have to say my internal alarms have been going off as well, and I totally agree with jgnat. I don't know you from Adam's housecat and am not accusing you of anything, but I am worried.

I put the Paypal button up on my web site because I wanted to keep my word. However, I would feel a million times more comfortable with this if you would set up a trust fund or something like that, so we can all be reassured.

It would also be reassuring if you would visit these threads more often (daily) and post updates....or just post anything so we know you haven't flown the coop. Asking for such a large sum of $ from strangers and then not staying involved in the discussion raises people's suspicions, which just hurts your cause, even if you don't intend that to happen. (There are lots of people on the internet who do that, so that's why it's worrisome.)

I do realize what happened with your family is real and I have the ultimate sympathy for that. PS-Normally I would address something like this in a PM rather than a forum post, but I've not gotten responses from you in the past so I'm not sure you're reading them. Sorry to be so blunt.

• TheListener
    TheListener

I am ready and willing to help out financially.

I just need to make sure of two things:

1. I need it to be totally untraceable and anonymous (same thing?). The WTS and my family will have my head on a platter if they found out I contributed to this cause. It may not matter to some here but to me it would undo years of hard effort.

2. I need assurances that the poster on the board is the real person involved

I'll admit I don't need fancy trust funds or double signature accounts. I just need some verification that the poster is the litigant. (Hey Oroborus, litigant is my new legal word of the day :) ).

• jgnat
    jgnat

I am quite confident that SHUNNED FATHER is Lawrence Hughes.

• hubert
    hubert

Well, maybe I'm too trusting. Lawrence said he does need this money in a hurry, so I don't see the need for such measures as much as if it was an ongoing donation agreement, like a charity contribution. I look at it as a special donation for the purpose of creating a precedent case for future law suits against the Watchtower and their associates, and so I am wiling to take the chance on Mister Hughes, hearing what he's been through with everything so far. He sounds like he is up and up, and for me, in this case, I'm willing to take the risk.

So Lawrence, please don't get offended by what some say on this forum, they have perfectly legitimate concerns. Just do what you have to do to make everyone happy, so that you will have the necessary finances to keep this case going. That's the most important thing, IMHO. Good luck with the case. We are all counting on you to follow through with this as much as you can. Please know we are all behind you 100 percent.

Hubert

• bebu
    bebu
    It does not cost $7,000 to set up a website.

Where did he write he would be putting up a website with $7000?

I think the bank account idea is very good, too. I hope it is easy to get up and running.

bebu

• hubert
    hubert
    Where did he write he would be putting up a website with $7000?

Bebu, I read that somewhere too, but can't find it anywhere.

Maybe Lawrence realized he made a mistake, or got it confused with the court costs, and deleted that statement.

Hubert

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit