Did U Know A Lot Of "Cuckoo" JWs???

by minimus 55 Replies latest jw friends

• willyloman
    willyloman

Bob's story was that he'd had surgery and his brain was deprived of oxygen for a few seconds and as a result, he was a little "slow." He would appear fairly normal much of the time, but he'd sometimes stop talking in mid-sentence and look at you with a big smile on his face. Then in a few seconds, he'd "come back" and resume his conversation. As time went on these lapses got longer, and more frequent.

As a result, no one wanted to work in the d-2-d work with him. But I did, on numerous occasions, and learned to watch him closely and take up the slack if his mind wandered. I'll never forget one morning, the door opened and a middle aged woman in her bathrobe appeared, not very pleased at the disturbance. "Good morning," he began, "we are here today with a lifesaving...." He came to a complete stop and stared at her for maybe 10 seconds. At that she copped an ugly scowl and stepped back from the door. Just then, Bob's thinking process came back on line and he said, in a rather loud, theatrical voice: "My! What a lovely smile!"

The door was in motion half-way through his remark and slammed so hard it nearly rocked the porch.

Oh, wait! You wanted stories about dubs who were crazy. Never mind.

• The Lone Ranger
    The Lone Ranger

Sadly I knew some normal guys and girls who over years of growing up in the Watchtower way - of- life that gradually went nuts, they were told they were mentally ill or depressed and are now on medications of some sort, but when I knew them they were OK they just needed to be treated like normal human beings, and to have a normal relationship with the opposite gender, if you know what I mean...they stayed virgins too long. I guess you could call them cuckoo...now !

• snarf
    snarf

WOW, now that you brought it up I never really payed attention to it, but you guys are ALL right. There was one in particular in my hall, she has lived in this town for a long time, so she knows alot of people and anyone you ask her about she says they are nuts, but then you ask the ones that she says are nuts, and they say the exact same thing about her. I always just viewed her as eccentric, but the more I think about it, she is pretty off.

• blondie
    blondie

Irreverent and I were talking about this and decided that it is more that the WTS/JWs attract people with problems; people hoping that the new system will soon cure them; people who are not accepted in the general community and hope that the promise of being a "loving" organization will mean that they too will be loved.

Hubbie wasn't raised a JW so has a different perspective than I do. He says they had there own share of oddballs in the church he grew up in.

Blondie

• willyloman
    willyloman
    it is more that the WTS/JWs attract people with problems; people hoping that the new system will soon cure them; people who are not accepted in the general community and hope that the promise of being a "loving" organization will mean that they too will be loved.

That's it, exactly. One elder I used to be close friends with called them "the walking wounded." He said they came into the organization with all their problems expecting a magic wand to erase their pain and misery. When there was no magic wand, they were bitterly disappointed and unhappy. But they stayed and shared their unhappiness with the rest of the clan. These were the folks who called you at 11:30 at night and needed reassurance and consolation, who made a series of really bad life decisions and wanted the elders and/or the congo of SOMEBODY to bail them out, whoe felt entitled to a miracle. There are many in every congo; probably 1/3 of the membership falls into this category.

• anewme
    anewme

Willy, very insightful.

• minimus
    minimus

A lot of the walking wounded came into the "Truth" because they were led to believe that within their lifetime, within months or short years that they'd all be in paradise. Some are still hoping that the lie is somehow true!

• MissBehave
    MissBehave

Also, cuckoo......."birds of a feather, flock together". Somehow seems very appropriate.

• Dr Jekyll
    Dr Jekyll

From my own personal experience I'd say that all the anointed were barking mad !

We did have one interested person who would sit at the back shooting brothers with his fingers during the public talk, it wouldn't have been so bad if he hadn't had made "BANG !"" noises too.

WT studies were bad too especially if you were on the mikes as he would often reach out for it to answer up and when he was ignored you often feared having a chair chucked at the back of your head.

• mouthy
    mouthy

<<<<<<<< YES ME!!!! I was cuckoo to believe all that

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit