JW's- Have they lost their ability to think?

by Vitameatavegamin 99 Replies latest jw friends

• nytelecom1
    nytelecom1

yes i am.I am a current m.s. with various responsibilities, i do not hide my association from the elders nor do i hide any other behavior

• dubla
    dubla

nytelecom-

id appreciate a response to my posts. if indeed i am incorrect about "bad associations", please explain it to me.

aa

• nytelecom1
    nytelecom1

i am not sure as to how to explain this other than, if you dont see it in print than nobody has a right to enforce it as a "rule"

in my congergation, only a few miles from headquarters,
    I routinely see elderas and m.s.'s at functions with worldly mates. And living in NYC where shcmoozing, is a normal part of job function, we all do it after work.......

• Hojon
    Hojon

That's very unusual. My dad was never a witness so other witnesses would NEVER come to our house. They felt it didn't have god's spirit on it since my dad was an unbeliever, and that they would lose god's protection if they were there.

I got busted several times for hanging out with worldly people. I am not sure what it's like in NY, but in my cong it was definately not allowed.

• nytelecom1
    nytelecom1

often times this is usually because the unbelieving mate makes it knwon that witnesses arent welcome.....back in my hometown we looked forward to going to the house of a non beleiving mate...this guy had a boat and a pool table....cool....you couldnt drag the elders away
    from this guy..(okay, slight stretch)..but he allowed his wife to pioneer, son grew up and stayed in the org..but all the husband asked was that we didnt preach to him every hour of the day...

• Room 215
    Room 215

nytelecom.
    Excuse me, but especially since you're a MS, it's myopic in the extreme to say that hanging with ``worldlings'' is no big deal. The social presssure exerted on JWs to stay to themselves is beyond debate.
    Except for their being a sounding board for their spiel, the vast majority of JWs hold ``worldlings'' in contempt, tar them all with the same brush (Mothern Teresa or Hitler, all the same to them), covet the homes they live in and consider them Armageddeon fodder.

• LDH
    LDH

It's OK guys. NYTelecom has just proven that there is a double standard that exist for JW today.

If you live in a big city where it's very difficult to monitor your behavior, you can do anything you want and still be 'in the truth.'

If you grew up in a small town like I did, everything is open to criticism.

Once, driving to an assembly, I passed an elder who was doing 55 mph. I was doing 65. Big stinkin deal. That elder spoke to my father at the assembly as soon as he got there. Mind you, I was 23 years old, not living at home, driving my own car.

My father attempted to speak with me about it, and I lambasted HIM and Don Naugahyde (sorry for the bad pun, Don) for getting in my business, number one. And Don for talking to my father instead of coming to me first if he felt I really had done something wrong.

This could be why young people who live in small towns find the truth more restrictive than youth living in big cities.

• dubla
    dubla

nytel-

bottom line is......the counsel from the podium STRONGLY encourages ALL to avoid associations with "the world", correct? so any "schmoozing" that "all" are doing after work, or any "elders" with "worldly mates", etc, are simply examples of hypocrisy among the religion. or do you believe the scripture saying "bad associations spoil useful habits" to be referring to a grey area now? can the "rules" (or lets just say counsel, since it isnt in "writing"), be bent to conform to everyday life, as long as it isnt excessive? where do you draw the line; is it indeed another famous "concience" matter?

aa

• nytelecom1
    nytelecom1
    It's OK guys. NYTelecom has just proven that there is a double standard that exist for JW today.

If you live in a big city where it's very difficult to monitor your behavior, you can do anything you want and still be 'in the truth.'

nice try...but i grew up in a small town, and if you read my last post you will see my experiencen...your argument doesnt fly....

I would have beat the crap out of the elder who narced on me....but that is just me

double standard???.....i doubt that..again it is a conscience matter that so many of you hate to admit..

• Hojon
    Hojon

You're joking, right? I was told several times that I was seen with worldly people and that would prevent me from "moving up" in the cong. The most I could do was carry the damn microphones.

This is typical of the JW mindset though, he's trying to justify actions by calling everything a "conscience" matter. Blood, voting, beards, worldly friends, oral sex, etc is all a "conscience" matter when talking to non-JWs, but inside the cong we all know how it is. Don't forget NYTelecom, everyone here used to be or still is a JW. We know what it's really like, we were all there. Don't try to BS your way through this one, it won't work.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit