A long overdue statement

by truthsetsonefree 69 Replies latest jw experiences

• KW13
    KW13

Well whatever your situation, i am sorry your still in the faith. Trust me the best way to help people that trust you is to set a trend and leave!

If you need any help feel free to PM me, its so harsh a religion.

• James Free
    James Free
    That does mean some duplicity towards the Society, but at least toward my family, there is none.

It was my kids who turned me in...

• Kaput
    Kaput
    It was my kids who turned me in...

Look at the positive...you taught them well. Too well.

• serendipity
    serendipity

Hi carpenter, welcome!

• Odrade
    Odrade

You may not always do the good you think you are doing by mitigating the damage done by an overly-"righteous" judicial committee or elder body. I stayed in the Organization at least another 10 years due to the kindnesses of a few elders who I believe were trying to "change things from within." Had I been left to the abuses of the hard-liners, I likely would have wised up much sooner.

• Lady Liberty
    Lady Liberty

I take the point , but I feel that although the WTS strongly advises against participating in "apostate" websites , it isn't a disfellowshipping offence per se. In addition , many posters here are active witnesses , interested persons or are "unbelievers" married to JWs - so it isn't an "apostate board" as such. I agree that it is inadvisable - I have my own motives for participating.

To donate blood is a voluntary act - it is a degree further than perhaps taking a transfusion in a potentially life-threatening situation or under pressure from doctors , family or friends. I couldn't , in all conscience , remain "in the truth" in those circumstances.

Dear Dozy,

First, I find it very interesting that you do not feel that this is a "apostate" website. You are probably the ONLY Elder that would make such a comment. Especially since you have read the posts on this forum, you yourself have discouraged us from associating with posters here because of their views. I do NOT agree with all comments , and sometimes I find statements, or threads very disrespectful, however, I AM NOT the judge, I choose to leave that up to Christ Jesus.

Second, I have a hard time understanding why it is ok to use fractions, that are taken from stored blood of others, yet we ourselves cannot "give back". Seems to me that if blood was "off limits" according to the scriptures, then even fractions would not be allowed! How is it we cannot even store our own blood, yet using fractions from someone elses stored blood is ok??

Third, Have you seen the tread a while ago regarding the horseshoe crabs blood?? According to the medical feild, it is in ALL medicines that are taken intraveniously! So does that mean with that knowledge, you or other JWs upon realizing this would refuse IVs?? See Below. Archived story from http://www.detnews.com

Wednesday, June 15, 2005

Blood of the lowly horseshoe crab helps save humans

By Dr. Ranit Mishori / Health and Fitness News Service You'll see them on the beach this summer -- the ancient, plodding, otherworldly creature from the sea that is limolus polyphemus -- otherwise known as the horseshoe crab.

Not really a crab at all, it's a member of the spider family. And if you do spot one, stranded, as tends to happen, helpless on its back, drying out in the sun -- do the right thing. Flip it over, gently, carefully, so the crab can get itself back into the water.

You won't just be doing a crab a favor. You'll also be making a small contribution to medical research for humans.

It's about blood. Horseshoe crab blood. It has become an invaluable ingredient in the development and manufacture of all the intravenous drugs and implantable devices on the market today. All of them. If it travels through an IV tube into a patient's body -- if it's designed to live inside a patient, as with artificial heart valves, replacement hips and knees -- then horseshoe crab blood played a part.

Here's why. The blood of these sea creatures is not like ours. For one thing, it runs a bright, milky blue in color. That's because of its high copper content (human blood is high in iron, which colors it red). For another, this blue blood contains a unique substance called LAL (limulus amoebocyte lysate). LAL might as well be colored gold, because extracted from crab blood, and concentrated for medical use, it runs about $15,000 a quart.

LAL is what gives the horseshoe crab a working, though primitive, immune system. Primitive it may be, but it also turns out that the substance is absolutely foolproof at detecting bacteria that can hurt humans, such as E. coli and salmonella. These are the kinds of bacteria that, in the past, have plagued patients getting implants, or receiving drugs via IV tubes. A system was needed to quickly -- and accurately -- screen the IV drugs or the artificial devices to ensure they were bacteria-free to prevent complicating infections.

Scientists discovered that LAL is the perfect alarm system. Normally liquid in form, it clots up or turns yellow when it comes in contact with any of those unwanted bugs. Now it's an FDA requirement. Before it can be packed and shipped, every new implant device must be dipped in water containing LAL.

LAL is also added to every batch of IV drugs to make sure it does not clot or go yellow.

"Virtually the entire world's drug supply is monitored using this material," says Malcolm Finkleman, vice president for Clinical Affairs at Associates of Cape Cod Inc., East Falmouth, Mass., one of three U.S. companies that isolate and sell the product.

All this gets rabbits off the hook. Until the mid-1980s, IV drugs were routinely tested for bacteria by injecting them into rabbits, which were watched for 48 hours for any signs of illness.

Horseshoe crabs can donate blood and go on living, just like humans. In standard practice, they are captured alive, and then tapped for about one-third of their blood via a needle inserted into the heart. Within 72 hours, they are once again returned to the sea.

According to Finkelman, the wound clots naturally, and their blood supply is back up to normal in two to three months.

Horseshoe crabs are native to the Northeast United States, along the Atlantic seaboard from Virginia to Maine. One estimate is that they number 2.3 to 4.5 million on the Atlantic Coast between New Jersey and Virginia alone.

That sounds like a lot of crabs, but given the other uses of their blood that scientists are now looking into -- ways to test for vitamin deficiencies, and as ingredients in new antibiotics -- maybe it's not so many after all.

Sincerely,

Lady Liberty

• Lady Liberty
    Lady Liberty

Dear Truthsetsonefree,

I appreciate what you are trying to do. Each of us have to do what is in the best interest for the ones we love and care about. It is obvious, you are trying to help others, who could fault you for that!! Certainly NOT me! I am glad you are here, and hope you feel welcome!

Sincerely,

Lady Liberty

• truthsetsonefree
    truthsetsonefree

Lady Liberty, your thoughts are much appreciated.

• Mrs.Congeniality
    Mrs.Congeniality

truthsetsonefree I wish all the elders in my hall had your attitude. I have never looked at it with your point of view but thanks for staying on the inside to help ones like us out without being completely shunned.

Thanks again

Agape

• Lady Liberty
    Lady Liberty

Dear Thecarpenter,

WELCOME!! We are glad you are here!! We look forward to more of your posts!

Sincerely,

Lady Liberty

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit