The JW's are a non-issue....

by upside/down 25 Replies latest jw friends

• greendawn
    greendawn

If we had never come across them they would be to us just like one of the many cultic groups that operate out there that we know next to nothing about them and neither do we care to know.

After all they are just a small minor religion despite 120 years of existence.

• fullofdoubtnow
    fullofdoubtnow

I still have feelings of bitterness towards the religion, and will have for a while I expect, so the are still an issue with me, but I guess if I'd never joined I would never think about them at all. They are only a small sect anyway.

• JAVA
    JAVA

I remember thinking about this during the large dis. assemblies in the '60s and early '70s when the Tower would have a statement read that was some type of announcement to the world. I used to wonder how many nations and governments really cared about the Tower's all important message.

Does the Tower still make these so-called proclamations during dis. assemblies?

• GoingGoingGone
    GoingGoingGone

I completely agree, u/d.

If I hadn't grown up a JW, I am sure that I wouldn't care less about them. Most people have no idea what they believe, nor do they care. They are too busy actually living and enjoying life, instead of proclaiming that everyone is going to be destroyed.

GGG

• Super_Becka
    Super_Becka
    If it wasn't for the fact that most of us are/were Dubs...we wouldn't even notice their existence.

For me, I'm not a JW and I never have been, so with the exception of the fact that I'm dating one, I certainly wouldn't notice their existence.

Around here, I haven't seen any of them going door-to-door in years, I haven't seen any of their magazines since a JW woman used to leave them on our doorstep when I was junior high and I've only ever seen any sign of life at the local KH once in my life.

So yeah, except that we're all involved with them in some way, JWs are certainly a non-issue.

If I wasn't dating one, the only thing I'd know about them would be, "Oh yeah, they're the weirdos that don't have Christmas or birthdays and then go door-to-door and try to get us to give up Christmas, too!!". If I wasn't dumb enough to date one, I would be completely and utterly oblivious to their existence.

And believe me, there are lots of times that I wish I was oblivious to them. But alas, I'm weak, I'm a sucker for a handsome, charming guy, and so now, JWs are way too prominent in my life right now.

-Becka :)

• sass_my_frass
    sass_my_frass

Absolutely; the only people who talk about JW's more than JW's, are ex-JW's or people who have to deal with them! They're just another bunch of crazies. The internet is a big place, and JWD is only the 490th biggest board. That means there are at least 489 other things on the planet that people talk about more...

• Dismembered
    Dismembered

I agree u/d.

In the last 5 years I have pursued friends outside the confines of dubdum. I was, and still continue to be surprised as to how little is known about the stupid-ass teaching they continue to try to purvey. Whenever I explain what I believed, the response it always the same. "You didn't really believed that did you? or You really believed that?" or How could you believe that?" All this and those dubasses think they have put the world on notice with their pip-squeek cult.

Dismembered

• undercover
    undercover

There is one thing about JWs that can be a huge issue. I'm surprised no one already mentioned this (if it was mentioned, my apologies for missing it).

But anyone who has to deal with JW family members who refuse blood in a life-threatening situation is dealing with a major issue of JWism.

Losing a family member because they adhere to the policy of refusing blood will be a life changing experience.

Similarly anyone who has had to deal with child abuse in the congregation.

So, to the general population, JWs are a non-issue as far as doctrine and practices but they can be a major issue for anyone who has to deal with the abuse, the cover-ups, the imposed blood ban.

• DannyHaszard
  • BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

We pursue this issue because we are involved, our lives have been affected by The 'Jehovah's Witnesses' [ the title itself is self promotion] I suppose it is like a charity that raises awareness of a little known disease. The world ignores it because so many other things affect more people , but those who have been hurt know just how badly it hurts those caught up in it. Every life affected is one too many and we are in the unique position of being able to explain , using their own arguments against them..

I guess the point of the post though is the fact that although they think they are something, in fact they are nothing on the world stage. Take their proud assertion that the Revelation is all about their work, e.g

re chap. 21 p. 137 pars. 32-33 Jehovah’s Plagues on Christendom ***
    This fall from the spiritual heavens became apparent in the year 1919 when, rather than Christendom’s clergy, the small remnant of anointed Christians was appointed over the Kingdom interests. (Matthew 24:45-47) And from 1922 that fall was dramatized when this group of Christians renewed their campaign of frankly exposing the failings of the clergy of Christendom.
    Outstanding in this connection was the proclamation made at what The Golden Age magazine described as "the greatest convention of Bible Students held during the ages." This convention assembled in Columbus, Ohio, July 20-27, 1924. No doubt at the direction of the angel that sounded the third trumpet, a forceful resolution was there adopted and later 50 million copies were distributed as a tract. It was published under the title Ecclesiastics Indicted. A subheading presented the issue: "The Seed of Promise Versus the Seed of the Serpent." The Indictment itself roundly exposed Christendom’s clergy on matters such as their taking of high-sounding religious titles, their making commercial giants and professional politicians the principal ones of their flocks, their desiring to shine before men, and their refusing to preach to the people the message of Messiah’s Kingdom. It emphasized that every dedicated Christian is commissioned by God to proclaim "the day of vengeance of our God; to comfort all that mourn.

Their favoured position with God is all in their minds

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit