WalMart is Evil

by joelbear 76 Replies latest jw friends

• rebel8
    rebel8

I've read very little about the economic issues with Wal-Mart and really haven't formed an opinion. But there are 2 reasons I do not shop at Wally World:

the WalMart cult

1. I totally believe they are a cult. A destructive one? Probably not. It's just their cultiness that irritates me. They do a Wal-Mart cheer every a.m., and all the employees must do it. The management is constantly asking employees pointed questions to determine if they still have a totally positive attitude about the company--they do not tolerate "independent thinking" or suggestions about improvement if it means making a negative observation. I saw someone get fired once when the mgr. asked in a staff mtg how they could improve business and he said the prices were too high. They press staff to wear their employee ID badges out in public and to do informal witnessing, I mean, create opportunities to indoctrinate the public. They press the employees to invest in company stock and have an entire brainwashing scheme about how they will all be millionaires because of the profit sharing. They press employees to love bomb new staff and to brainwash the new ones into the profit sharing doctrine. Not that this isn't a successful business method, it just annoys me.

2. The Wal-Mart by me is a totally sucky place to shop. It is not in a bad neighborhood but since the store created a bus line from the hood, it is scary. I've seen plenty of break-ins to parked cars in progress when I drove by. Mini gangs just walk around their lot after dark with crowbars and steal stereos. There is often someone being taken out of the store in handcuffs for shoplifting. Inside the store is messy, has the worst quality crap, totally disorganized, and has extremely rude staff. It is loud too--tons of announcements and people shouting. In the fish section, there are lots of floaters. There is no benefit to shopping there. The prices they advertize are only pennies less than Target, and Target has the sense to actually stock the items they put in their ads instead of never having them on hand. The line at customer service is terribly long and the staff at the desk won't hesitate to take personal calls or stand there and chit chat while ignoring customers.

• diamondblue1974
    diamondblue1974
    Although they have bought out "ASDA" in the UK, the real take over here is Tesco. One in every EIGHT pounds spent in the UK is to Tesco. However, I have not seen the same criticisms of Tesco as you do of Wallmart. They obviously do a good PR job and put on a slick face for the public here

Agreed actually...they have just opened a tesco supermarket in the town I live in and down the road from me theres a bloody tesco express (convenience store).

Its putting the smaller guy out of business and its dispicable.

DB74

• still angry
    still angry

Yes, you're right, Robdar, it would be second hand to you. However, I was sharing what I found to be true in my experience.

As for "telling" anyone what my post said, knock yourself out. You sound very defensive about the whole thing and as you know the group of which I'm talking about, it makes one wonder. I certainly could care less what they think.

• joelbear
    joelbear

i do not own Target stock at the moment (God that Richie kid doesn't miss a trick).

watched the documentary out on DVD right now about WalMart. it is just phenomenal.

they are evil.

watch the video. don't shop there.

• luna2
    luna2
    I've worked for mom and pop stores. Mom and pop are the ones that screw their employees over. They get by with it more often than the big corporations do.

I'm sure this is true sometimes....and sometimes not. I work with my parents at their business. A true Mom and Pop store...we bend over backwards and often get taken advantage of by our employees. We offer the best wages we can and are even paying more than we can afford. We just got all the Saturday cash ripped off, by an employee, and now are deciding how to handle the matter. My father decided to give whoever did it a chance to replace it no questions asked. I know he doesn't even want to call the police because he likes these kids and it makes him sick to think of accusing anyone or of what would happen should someone be caught....not that that is likely. Will we get the money back? Probably not...they know there are no surveillance cameras in the office so we can't "prove" anything. I guess we deserve it because we can't afford cameras.

We aren't against the big boxes. They offer services and products at prices we can't approach. As FHN mentioned, we have tried to offer things that stores like Home Depot and Walmart cannot, but we are still struggling.

I agree with rebel that there are aspects of Walmart that are extremely troubling, but I still occassionally shop there.

I sometimes wonder if, when all that's left are the big box/discount houses, people will miss the smaller places? I guess for a lot of you, who sound almost militant in your defense of your Walmarts, the answer would be no.

I guess that's the way the economic ball bounces.

• Robdar
    Robdar

I dont think you worked for a genuine mom and pop store there. Mom and Pop stores are usually run by Mom and Pop. Maybe a son or daughter as well. Hmm, well this mom and pop had 15 employees. Maybe they had that many because their kids weren't grown enough to help out?

As for "telling" anyone what my post said, knock yourself out. Why would I spread your rumors? But I will tell the ones you are trying to slander.

You sound very defensive about the whole thing and as you know the group of which I'm talking about, it makes one wonder. I certainly could care less what they think.

Defensive? Bullshit is bullshit. I just called it. You were the one being defensive. And obviously you do care or you wouldn't be bitching so much about it on this thread 1. I totally believe they are a cult. A destructive one? Probably not. It's just their cultiness that irritates me. They do a Wal-Mart cheer every a.m., and all the employees must do it. The management is constantly asking employees pointed questions to determine if they still have a totally positive attitude about the company--they do not tolerate "independent thinking" or suggestions about improvement if it means making a negative observation. I saw someone get fired once when the mgr. asked in a staff mtg how they could improve business and he said the prices were too high. They press staff to wear their employee ID badges out in public and to do informal witnessing, I mean, create opportunities to indoctrinate the public. They press the employees to invest in company stock and have an entire brainwashing scheme about how they will all be millionaires because of the profit sharing. They press employees to love bomb new staff and to brainwash the new ones into the profit sharing doctrine. Not that this isn't a successful business method, it just annoys me Hmm, I asked my neighbor who works at the Walmart down the street about the above. She said she has never done nor been asked to do that. She says you must be confused.

• Pleasuredome
    Pleasuredome

i guess if it wasn't for communism walmart wouldnt be as competitive and successful.

the american dream; or how to make money out of tyranny.

• Double Edge
    Double Edge

Wal-Fart = white trash at it's worse.

• TooOpinionated
    TooOpinionated

Um, I hate to butt in here, but I just wanted to add that I worked in our Wal-Mart setting it up to open to the public when it was brand new, and then for a year later. It was absolutely mandatory to do the Wal-Mart cheer in the morning. I'm told they still do it. This is company wide.

I was embarassed to tell anyone we did this, so perhaps others who work there won't admit to it, either. Just a thought.

• Odrade
    Odrade

:::Hmm, I asked my neighbor who works at the Walmart down the street about the above. She said she has never done nor been asked to do that. She says you must be confused.
    hmmm. sounds like walocratic warfare to me...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit