WalMart is Evil

by joelbear 76 Replies latest jw friends

• Beep,Beep
    Beep,Beep

"By the way, ever wonder why a Sanyo TV is so much less at Walmart? Because it isn't the same one at Best Buy or where ever"

I should believe this because? So, because Walmart purchases a large volume of product from a supplier, you think they take shortcuts or lower it's quality somehow?

When I worked for Marriott, a very large name in hotels/ foodservice, Marriott's suppliers gave them a lower price than what other, smaller companies paided. Did Pepsi or Coke somehow change their products to keep these prices low?

Sorry, I don't accept it.

• TMS
    TMS

WalMart may be the most hated, but most emulated company in the world.

My employer for thirty years, The Kroger Company, has an intense fear of WalMart on many levels, but did everything to copy the retailer. Kroger downsized its health benefits to match WalMart whenever permitted. Countless stories of WalMart's strongarming of suppliers were told at Kroger sales meetings in almost a giddy, hero-worshipping tone.

My cancelled checks each month seem to indicate several monopolies in their field: WalMart, Home Depot, AutoZone, Best Buy. Would I every patronize a local business instead of these biggies? Probably not.

tms

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

Local businesses need to offer things Wal-mart doesn't. Also, thrift stores and consignment shops can do well.

• Robdar
    Robdar

The elite left also hates Starbucks.

*Blah, blah, blah, takes away business from mom and pop stores. Blah, blah, blah"

They never know how to respond when you point out that Starbucks brings jobs to the area. And pays their employees more money than mom and pop does. They also provide the stock options and benefits that mom and pop cant.

I've worked for mom and pop stores. Mom and pop are the ones that screw their employees over. They get by with it more often than the big corporations do.

• bikerchic
    bikerchic
    I've worked for mom and pop stores. Mom and pop are the ones that screw their employees over. They get by with it more often than the big corporations do.

Here! Here!

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan

eh, nevermind...carry on

• Rig Boy
    Rig Boy

I dont think you worked for a genuine mom and pop store there. Mom and Pop stores are usually run by Mom and Pop. Maybe a son or daughter as well.

• nowisee
    nowisee

hey flyin...how are you?

i don't think i am naive....and i don't mean to blame only walmart. there is plenty of blame to go around on this issue beginning with the government and big corporations.

i have worked in many different situations, in companies large and small, and for the last almost 20 years have had my own business so i have been on both sides of this. i promise you i have been more than fair with any employees i have had, with the public i have served, and have tried to operate honestly and ethically. i chose to leave corporate america because of the lack of ethics, immorality (sexual and otherwise), and heartlessness that seemed to dominate in every company where i was employed. maybe i chose my employers poorly, - but they certainly all offered wonderful benefits, pensions, perks - i still came to the conclusion that it was a cesspool and left of my own volition.

now i am a lot poorer, working for myself, but at least i have peace of mind and i am not stressed out all the time.

i certainly sympathize and empathize - and identify - with anyone struggling with $ and can totally understand why you would make the decision to shop where prices are lower.

i still think the long-term ramifications of current economic trends will be devastating, most of all to this country, which is still mostly asleep, apathetic, or unconcerned - at least for now....

• upside/down
    upside/down

OMG! Robdar....we AGREE...

Somebody take a picture...

u/d(of the I was gonna stay outta here till I read that class)

• IMustBreakAway
    IMustBreakAway

I can't shop at wallmart because it's too crowded.. Makes me freak out. So i send the wife..

Now StarBucks.. THEY ARE IN LEAUGE WITH THE DEVIL

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit