WalMart is Evil

by joelbear 76 Replies latest jw friends

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

LDH, I respect your feelings and there is merit there in your post.

You think you are saving 40 cents, bull shit. You are paying it out in the form of taxation to for Medi-Cal or whatever you use in your state as free medical care, while you pay your premiums.

So if we are already paying for it in taxation, then why go and spend even more of our hard earned income on more expensive prices at other stores? For me it is the bottom dollar. Dollars add up. If I can save $20 or $30 for every hundred I'd spend at a Mom & Pop or regular chain store, by shopping at Wal-mart, then I'm going to shop there. Over a month's time, for some people, they could save $100-500 by shopping at Wal-mart, depending on what they buy there. That can easily happen if you buy your groceries, paper goods and toiletries from Wal-mart. That adds up over a year and then add it up over five years or ten or twenty. Getting the most of every dollar is important to me.

Downtown in any town suffered long before Wal-mart came along. With the shopping mall came the move away from shopping in town.

• LDH
    LDH

Hi FHN.

It's a vicious circle.The little guy always gets squeezed.

I wouldn't expect most people who "HAVE" to shop there to save money would even understand that they are not helping themselves in the long run. There are people who LOVE to shop there, I'm just not one.

Frankly many people who shop at Walmart were created by Walmart. The last time I went in, about a month ago because I LOVE their toilet paper brand White Cloud and that's all I buy when I'm in there, LOL, it was horrible. Lots of poor people screaming at their kids, lots of weaves and fake nails, lots of shouting. (someone posted this earlier.) It's a horrible store to spend more than ten minutes in (IMHO).

I just can't take the enviroment FHN. And as I've posted before, I'm a bargain hunter. I don't shop Nordstroms, for me it's Kohl's. Not Macy's, I'd rather do Target.

Lisa

• LDH
    LDH

PS, would now be a good time to mention that Americans are chronic over consumers and don't even need most of the crap sold to them at 'bargain prices?'

I like the poster who said he lives simply and intentionally. I'm there too.

• bebu
    bebu
    I have made a deliberate choice to shop there as little as possible, maybe twice a year-if at all.

I probably have the least amount of money of anyone I know. I have chosen a life of voluntary simplicity and yet I cannot see myself not supporting my community's economy, even if it is more expensive.

From the drain on the city infrastructure, to the tax breaks it receives, to the local businesses that die because they didn't know how to react to the behemoth box store. Wal-Mart does nothing positive for the communities they descend upon but charge you less.

My feelings exactly.

I burned when I learned about the way WM bankrupted Rubbermaid--a well-respected American business, by dictating to them their costs. They put a whole town out of business in the end!

The residents of tiny Wooster, Ohio, also felt negative, if indirect, effects of Wal-Mart’s global reach. Wooster was for decades the home of Rubbermaid, a household name in storage and trash containers. In the early 1990s, Rubbermaid changed its business strategy to reflect the shifting nature of retail sales. It began selling two thirds of its volume to a half-dozen of America’s leading giant retailers. When an increase in its raw material costs forced Rubbermaid to implement a universal retail price hike, Wal-Mart refused the change and dropped most of its Rubbermaid orders. Rubbermaid, never to regain its former strength, sold out to a competitor and closed its Wooster factory once and for all in 2002, eliminating 1,000 jobs from the rural Ohio town.

http://www.uky.edu/CommInfoStudies/IRJCI/reports/reportswalmart.htm

This is not how businesses should treat each other. WM extorted Rubbermaid in my opinion, and did not care about the fallout for the company and for the town of Wooster. That's despicable for a company that boasted so much about selling products "Made in America" (until it quietly began replacing all American-made items with those made in China).

I don't like how foreign businesses supplying WM are treated. I don't like how their "benefits" come at the taxpayers' expense. I dislike how they can disrupt a lot of established businesses in a community.

If they could make some changes in their business methods and toward their employees, I would feel much better about shopping there again. In the meantime, I feel too much like the blood of others is too high a price for anything I'd save.

bebu

• upside/down
    upside/down

Wal Mart is the largest importer of Asian (ie. China) goods...on the planet.

They might as well be reffered to as an Empire without borders.

Read the Wall Street Journal...these guys are off the charts HUGE.

The Golden Rule..."He with the Gold, makes the rules!"

u/d(of the only has silver class)

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow
    I just can't take the enviroment FHN. And as I've posted before, I'm a bargain hunter. I don't shop Nordstroms, for me it's Kohl's. Not Macy's, I'd rather do Target.

Lisa

The Wal-marts I have shopped at have been in suburbia, generally. They tend to be pleasant and serene. The dirtiest ones I have shopped in were in New England. The cleanest were in the deep south. I never heard any yelling at these stores. I guess if a store is in a bad neighborhood, this could be a problem.

I agree about people having too much junk in their lives. I rarely buy anything I don't need. Our TV is over ten years old, maybe 15. People feel sorry for me when they see it. The only problem I have with it at all is when a movie is in letterbox format, it's harder for me to see the details of the picture. This is because I wear triple progressive lenses and my sofa is too far from the TV. I don't have cable TV. I use cheap rabbit ears. As long as I can get the networks, PBS and a uhf channel or two, I don't watch that much TV to warrant cable. Andy's gramma gave us her old TV four years ago.

I ask myself, before I buy something, "Do I really need this? Do I want to dust this? Maintain this?"

• bebu
    bebu
    I ask myself, before I buy something, "Do I really need this? Do I want to dust this? Maintain this?"

LOL Were we separated at birth?

bebu

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit